“Very disappointed”

GreenLeadersGold level
Massachusetts
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed 20 July 2012

The best thing about this hotel is that it is very close to the airport and the shuttle service was excellent. The second best thing is that the breakfast buffet is good and reasonably priced. The third good thing is that the rooms are large. So overall for a one night stay it is OK but the hotel is "grubby" there is no where to get food after 10:00 pm, the pool was not kept stocked with towels and one reception staff member was deceptive. We had booked executive level with balcony room and breakfast in the "club" level. When we arrived this staff member told us there were no executive rooms left so he was putting us in as good a room overlooking the pool and would give us two vouchers for $10 for breakfast (there were three of us). Well the room was not overlooking the pool, but there was a view of a roof with air conditioners!!! I went back to reception and said I would not pay the same rate for this room. Fortunately, another staff member saw the manager and reduced the room rate by $50, but I should not have needed to complain. I felt as though the original staff member was trying to deceive me.... Shame on him, he needs to go back to hotel management customer relations course 101. I've stayed at a few Doubletrees in various cities, this one needs updating.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Brit_USA_Traveler
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 20 July 2012

A wonderful place to stay in San Jose. Staff very friendly, prompt, accomodating.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Let's start with the good... the room was quite large for a double queen and it had a small balcony. The weather was nice, so I was able to pull the chair out on the balcony somewhat and enjoy. The beds are very comfortable and the pillows are decent. There were two sinks, one inside the bathroom and one outside which is nice when staying with kids. The TV was a newer flat panel type and the reception was good (not fuzzy from being split a thousand times.) The main floor was very nicely appointed and I believe there was a club and a restaurant inside. I didn't spend much time inside the hotel so I'm not sure.

Now the not-so-good... For the price you pay here, I would expect a microwave and fridge, especially since there is PLENTY of room. Underneath the bed had not been vacuumed in years probably as I could see layers of dust and trash left from previous guests. The shower curtain was moldy and the water pressure was almost non existant. Good thing I have short hair or I'm not sure I could ever get shampoo out of it. Also, no matter how cold I set the temperature, the water alternated between mild temp and scalding hot. No amount of adjustment made the temp even. The carpet in the hallways and common areas desperately needs updating and there were several spots where it was lumpy which caused a tripping hazard. There is no market/pantry type area where you can buy needed items (such as advil) late at night. The gift shop sells necessities but it was closed when I needed something at 10pm. Also, there is no wifi in the rooms, you have to trek down to the lobby for that. In this day and age, that is just ridiculous. I also would expect at least a free continental breakfast and coffee for this price point, but there is nothing at all here but your check-in cookie.

I was lucky that my group event rate included parking because otherwise it appeared to be $18 per night. Overall, this was an average hotel only because of my group rate. If I paid what the rate was on the website, I would be severely disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank rcktgirl05
san diego
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed at. I ignored the reviews and now wish I did not. I did not once see anyone cleaning. Trash all around the pool area. Windows were filthy. The elevator was tagged with graffiti. The executive level snack area was never stocked. 2nights. $500 later i am very disappointed and believe this hotel is a disgrace to the Hilton name!!!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank familytravels20
Santa Ana, California
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I stayed here for two nights for a meeting in Santa Clara and I caught the free airport shuttle from the San Jose airport. The hotel is quite close to the airport. I checked-in around 5:00pm on a Friday and there was a long line of people. They were all lining up in a single queue in the Hilton HHonors carpet area. The hotel had 3 agents checking-in people and I didn't realize until later that night that they didn't give me a cookie at check-in. I was given a room on the top floor which is the executive level. The concierge lounge there provides refreshments on a little corner counter. The floor is key-protected so you have to swipe it in the elevator. The room itself is typical of an older hotel. The furnishings are fine and the bed is quite comfortable. My room was large and the bathroom had a sink and vanity area right next to it. One thing to be aware of is that there is a club on the first floor called Club Max (I think) and it's a meat market in the evenings. It was comical (or sad) to see the hotel filled with student groups and aging singles trying to mingle to/from the club and the parking lot. It was an odd combo. The breakfast buffet is fine and the service is ok. They will give you coffee to go. It might even be the Starbucks coffee that they brew from the coffee stand right next to the restaurant. They have a fitness center on the second floor and it is much better than most hotel fitness centers. They have at least 7 treadmills and lots of machines and free weights. I believe that it is open 24 hours with your card key. The hotel is also walking distance to the Karina Station VTA stop and the Airport/Metro stop.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business