“Love This High End Grocery and More Store”
Review of Whole Foods Market

Whole Foods Market
Ranked #15 of 2,351 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Deli, Bar
Description: Welcome to your San Jose, CA Whole Foods Market! Founded in 1978 in Austin, Texas, Whole Foods Market is the leading retailer of natural and organic foods, the first national "Certified Organic" grocer, and uniquely positioned as America's Healthiest Grocery Store™.
Reviewed 28 December 2017

My wife and I came from Long Beach, CA for a couple of nights visiting the beautiful city of San Francisco, and opted to stay at a hotel in San Jose. Since we came back late from the city, we were not up to going to a restaurant, so I visited Whole Foods and was quite surprised at the options I had. I chose 2 different style sandwiches, 1 with turkey and 1 with my favorite, Italian variety. I was quite impressed with the variety and diversity of fresh foods available, so I also got some fresh squeezed orange juice, mineral water, healthy chips, and even though the total is higher than most, I was very pleased with the decision to come here.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

I am so impressed by the variety and diversity of fresh foods in Whole Foods Market.
In fact, there are many branch selections of Whole Foods Market in San Jose are.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

We seemed to find something from their food bar several nights of our stay. One night we were in line for a pizza, we couldn't decide and let the man behind us go first. Well when we decided to order the guy said that the last guy(the one we let ahead of us) took the last pizza crust. So much for being nice! Guess they only have so many crust a day. We went down the street and got a really good pizza! Yes, and paid less.

1  Thank 1gardengirl
Reviewed 6 August 2017

I like the Allegro Roasters in the Whole Foods on Gilman in Berkeley – I think they roast and brew very good coffee. So, having about 45 min to spare at Amtrak in San Jose I decided to nip across Alameda Street to Whole Foods for a pick-me-up. Tons of seating, both sunny and shady; the café / juice bar is small but cheerful; staff members were friendly. I had a batch-brew coffee and then returned two minutes later for a donut. Kind of silly to buy a donut from them for $3 when you can pop into the main WF store ten steps away and pick up something for half the price. Both the coffee and donut were good – would welcome pastries from a local bakery (the Gilman café has pastries from Firebrand bakery in Oakland). They select good beans and roast them well, giving them a lighter roast but not totally blond.

In addition to the normal rating, I’m also giving this Whole Foods café 4/5 green stars for social and environmental impact.

Allegro coffee has pretty good purchasing standards – in 2014, 23% of the coffee was Fair Trade certified, 50% was organic, 29% was Rainforest Alliance certified, and 2% was Smithsonian songbird-friendly certified. I know that coffee can be responsibly sourced without the need for certifications, as long as there’s transparency, and I feel that where Allegro could to do a better job. For example, Counter Culture Coffee publishes the prices they pay for coffee and share extensive information on their relationship with individual farms. Better, more current, reporting would be appreciated.
Whole Foods does a good job at waste minimization (clearly labeled bins for composting and recycling) and most materials are eco-friendly, but their coffee cup lids are not compostable. Their regular milk is Clover Organic. One bonus is that you can eat anything that you pick up in Whole Foods (or make yourself), so you can find food that suits your needs to go with your coffee.
In general, Whole Foods is recognized as a decent employer that provides good benefits and environment for staff.

Find out more about green-star ratings at Green Stars Project dot org.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

Love the outside bar before events at the Shark Tank! It's a great place to grab dinner and drinks to start the evening out on a high note!