“A delightful experience”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Bus
Reviewed 21 December 2017

Love this place, very intimate with delicious food. We selected the 4 course meal which was for $90 per person. The food was simply delicious. we also sampled three chef compliments which were small bites of crab mousse, Smoked fish and Pistachio tarts. They were so delicious that I would order it as main course :) I loved the Salsify Soup with duck royale and truffe, also the See Bass dish was amazing. The lamb entrée dish was really good too. The portion sizing is perfect too. We ordered the soufflé which melts in the mouth- highly recommend it!

The restaurant inside is warm and cozy however from outside, the restaurant doesn't look very upscale. It is in a dark parking lot of a strip mall. Very easy to miss it.

Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

I was recently invited to a business dinner at this restaurant. I had never heard of this restaurant before even though it is known as one of the finest restaurants in Silicon Valley, to my surprise. I guess I was in the dark about this. It is in a downscale part of town, off of 280 and Saratoga Ave in a standalone building that I have driven by many times. I would never have guessed this was one of the best restaurants in Silicon Valley. There was no parking in the restaurants lots and everyone was double parked, so I parked in front of the quick cash store in the strip mall next door. I was scared to leave my car there for fear of it getting broken into or getting towed. Since I was with a group, we were placed in a crowded room with barely any elbow space. The restaurant was super crowded on a weekday. The food was average, in my opinion. I think everything in the Silicon Valley is overpriced and overrated. In Silicon Valley, the best food is generally the local ethnic restaurants that gain a local following that are moderately priced. I would not come here on my own.

1  Thank SimbaTheExplorer
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

We have eaten here at least eight times. It always has provided suave service, high quality French style meals, and an excellent and fairly priced wine list.

Reviewed 26 September 2017

It's been so long since we've been to Le Papillon that we don't even remember what year it was. I suspect is was around 1990!
If it was so great, what kept us from returning? After dining there last week, I really can't think of a good reason not to return much more frequently.
The menu was actually pretty simple. Lots of exotic dishes, but you could choose 3 courses or 4 courses for a fixed price. With the 4 courses and several small dishes sent out by the chef, I was stuffed. Next time I'll go with just 3 and skip dessert.
It's not cheap, but you can save some money by not ordering cocktails.

The only minor disappointment for me was the swordfish. The sauce was pretty good but the fish was average. Everything else our party of 5 ordered was great!

Reviewed 21 August 2017

We live in San Francisco, so not strangers to exceptional dining but we were blown away by this place. The service was attentive but never felt we were being hovered over. The ambiance is peaceful, quiet and relaxing although admittedly, we were seated in the smaller back room. But the food, oh my God. I can't say enough about the perfect temperature, flavor, texture of the scallops, escargot, Chilean Sea Bass. The wine list was extensive but and they have many reasonably-priced selections. We had the St. Julien Bordeaux that was excellent. We will plan to be back as often as we can get to San Jose. No doubt about it!

Been to Le Papillon? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK