“Great meal”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Bus
Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

In town for a small business meeting and this restaurant is fabulous
It's formal without being stuffy and the food is out of this world
First they offer apps to die for - then a delicious Dungeness crab soufflé - then a delicious salad and a most delicious sea bass and a grand mariner soufflé ‼️❤️
Really a special dinner
Very romantic restaurant also
I will be back

Reviewed 23 July 2017

Wonderful dining experience.
It takes a real chef to prepare scallops perfectly. A rare talent. Papillon did it. Not sure if I know anyone else who I could trust to do it.
Sommelier at Papillon has some very great discoveries on the wine list, that turn out to be not easy to find anywhere. Photographed the bottles and will have to go straight to the wineries to get them. They were sufficiently yummy to inspire me to travel to get more.
Otherwise, other reviews capture my other thoughts very well.

Reviewed 19 June 2017

3.5 stars if I could for the service. But I'll settle on 4 because the food was so good. Outstanding, everything was simply outstanding -- that's what my wife said, and she was correct. Started with 3 amuse bouche, which were wonderful. Followed by terrific starters: Quail and Scallops. Then onto the tasty soups: Sugar Snap Pea and Salsify. For our mains, duck and venison. All delicious and well prepared. We did not order dessert, for what that is worth. At the first, service was very attentive and quite nice. This continued until we finished our mains. As we were finishing up, somebody came by to ask us how our meal was. My wife started to answer how much we loved it and they turned away to the next table in mid-stream. Didn't bother to really hear the reply, they were just operating on autopilot: "Obligatory question asked, move to next table." Then our waiter disappeared. Eventually a bus boy came by and asked if we wanted coffee and dessert. We ordered coffee and dessert menus. The coffee showed up, after a wait bordering on too long, but no menus. Ask again. Read menus. 5, 10, 15 minutes go by. Nobody. Nobody to even flag down, everybody is huddled in the back somewhere. By this time we'd figured out we didn't want dessert, but if we did, we'd have been really pissed about how long it would have taken to order it. As it was, we wanted our check and where anxious to go. Not cool. Other comments. Nice sized wine list. Good to see a collection of half bottles too; that's always nice. However, would like to see a few more wines by the glass. Especially now that Coravin systems mean you can tap bottles without risk of wine going bad if not ordered again quickly enough. Overall, despite the service snafu, seems like pretty good value for what you get.

Reviewed 1 June 2017

While in San Jose, my wife and I dined at Le Papillon to celebrate our anniversary. What a find! We want to go back. The décor was beautiful and welcoming, giving the feel of elegant French country dining. Our staff was amazingly attentive, knowledgeable, gracious, and charming. But, the food! Following the lovely amuse bouche, the linguine and prawns with cognac truffle cream was otherworldly and a work of art. The truffled hamachi tartare with avocado, lemon and pea shoot emulsion appetizer was also very impressive, as was our sunchoke and artichoke salad with dates, sorrel and olive. I love venison, and ordered the noisettes of red deer with huckleberries and golden chanterelles, which was really heavenly. And, hard to believe, my wife’s roasted halibut with mussel-Saffron jus was even tastier. (We did not share much though, since each dish was just too good on its own.) All in all, it was a wonderful, fine-dining experience, capped off by a delicious Grand Marnier soufflé with fresh berries, with a little candle in the middle to help us celebrate our anniversary. Our waitress was very sweet, and we just loved her. I cannot recommend Le Papillon highly enough!

Reviewed 27 May 2017

A beautiful marriage of décor and food. Attention is given to every detail and the food arrives both delicious and well plated. A quiet place for conducting business or celebrating a special occasion. Harkens to the olden days when you dressed for dinner and got a babysitter for the children.

Been to Le Papillon? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK