“Ethiopian Food Heaven”

Walia Ethiopean Cuisine
Ranked #153 of 2,198 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

Best Ethiopian cuisine this side of town ... Service is impeccably pleasant ... The decor is tasteful!! Ephrem is delightful and full of positivity! The food is amazing!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Walia Ethiopean Cuisine

Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

Full of flavor, one of the best in the Bay Area. We have tried most of their combo, and the veg combo never disappoints. If you are in San Jose area, definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed 21 March 2017

Amazing place. Authentic place. Enjoyed the Ethopian beer and food. Quick service and great food. very cordial staff

Reviewed 27 October 2016

After facing the excruciatingly long wait time at Zeni I decided to try another Ethopian place in San Jose. Yelp threw up Walia Ethiopian Cuisine with good ratings so I decided to give it a try. It also had the added advantage of being able to order ahead so I went ahead and got what I generally get at Ethiopian restaurants namely the Meat Combo ($17.95) to-go. Walia's meat combo consists of beef stew, beef stew non spicy, doro wot and lamb stew.

Thirty minutes after ordering I reached to pick up the food. Walia is located in a plaza with a large parking lot so no issues with parking. There was a group of people waiting outside (but far less than the madness I observed at Zeni) so I patted myself on the back for ordering ahead and stepped in. From this point forward everything went downhill.

I reached up to the counter and asked if my order was ready to-go. What I got was some bad attitude from the person behind the counter who was not happy with just my name but insisted on seeing the order details. I told her that my cell was discharged so I could not show her that but it made no difference to her. She got so mad that she started screaming at me. At this point the manager stepped in. He told me that they are so famous that they get a lot of orders and that's why they insist on seeing each order before handing it over. This made no sense to me, but after he saw my facial expression he quickly changed his tune and offered to look up my order on a dirty, beat up, broken phone with my name. It is nice that he did that else he would have experienced first-hand how rude some people can be.

After finding my order I was asked to wait another 5 minutes and then I was on my way. Let's come to the food. Let's start with what was good. Walia has packaged the Injera (the bread used to scoop up the food and eat) separate from the stews so it had not become soggy. They also gave me a lot of food i.e. there were literally 2 containers with the curries. Here's where the good stops. Let's start with the curries. The container used to hold the curries does not have clearly demarcated compartments, so by the time you reach home everything inside tastes like one monolith dish even though there are supposed to be 4 different curries in the container. The only taste that I got was of burnt onions which I'm assuming is the base of one of the curries. It completely overpowered everything else making everything taste bitter. The injera generally has a sour tang but Walia's was just flat. It also lacked the sponginess of injera but had the texture of regular bread.

Sorry not impressed. Having tons of crappy food may appeal to some but not me. Forget about Zeni, the food here does not even match up to some of the Ethiopian places that I've been to in LA. I have absolutely no intention of returning.

Reviewed 12 October 2016 via mobile

The food was great for the price, ambience not so great. The restuarant is very small and is almost claustrophobic. Also there was a homeless drunk guy who kept coming in the restuarant. Definitely not a place for family dinners. I would think twice before going.