“Exceptionally clean and great location”
Review of San Jose Marriott

San Jose Marriott
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brandon, Vermont
“Exceptionally clean and great location”
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Full disclosure: I am a "gold" level cardholder with Marriott so my experience may differ from the other reviews which aren't so hot. My city view room was spotless. Checking in was speedy as was checking out. If you have access to the concierge lounge, the outdoor patio is great to relax on. The location is ideal as it's close to the airport, convention center and the art museum. Across the street is Il Fornaio restaurant-very good for lunch/dinner.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the construction taking place next to the hotel. The 00-04 rooms have great...
1 Thank lady frobisher
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
San Jose, California
Reviewed 26 February 2012

My stay at this hotel started badly when I was checked in, given a room key, went to the room and walked in to find another guest naked in the room. Obviously he was as upset as I was, so I headed back down to the reception to get things sorted out. When I got there, the guy who's room I had been given was on the phone asking for security (somewhat unsurprisingly). Anyway, the person who I spoke to on the desk was hopeless. Totally unapologetic, though she did sort me out with a new room. I told the desk manager how poor I thought all this was - she did nothing.

To be honest, as someone who has spent hundreds of nights in Marriott hotels over the years, I was surprised the manager didn't contact me to explain what went wrong, but there we are.

Anyway, the room I did get was OK, comfortable bed, clean etc.

The restaurant was OK as well, though the bar was terrible, with far too few staff working, and long wait times to get a drink.

All told, considering the check-in debacle, I won't be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't already have a naked man in it.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank PaulMJohnson
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I came in from east coast after 6 hr flight and hr drive from sfo to be told that there was a water leak and hotel was out of rooms. They showed us to basically some sofa beds that they had pulled into lounge.Mattresses were falling through metal frame. I nearly laughed in their face for suggesting and expecting full rate. Only after refusing and demanding did they locate a room an hr later. Manager refunded the night and offered another night. However, I had already booked at the Fairmont which was my initial choice. Nope will not return and rooms were just ok. It did have a nice lobby with cucumber or orange water.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank barbadosluv
Monterey Bay, California
Reviewed 24 February 2012

The location of this Marriott makes it very convenient for attending conventions, but they are not prepared for handling the volume of customers conventions bring. After waiting in the valet line for 15 minutes, we were finally greeted and told a bellman would be a 30 minute wait. We decided to do the best we could at carrying our luggage and headed for the front desk line. At early check-in, all rooms with double beds had been taken, even though I had booked months in advance.
We were given the keys to our room and walked in to find a Telemundo swimsuit competition playing on the TV, mops, rags and our previous guests hair all over the bathroom floor. My daughter had to get ready for the convention, so we dropped our luggage and organized a bit. I headed out to see if housekeeping was around to finish the job, but no such luck. A "manager" of some sort opened our door and more or less implied we needed to leave. Hmmmm.......didn't your front desk have record that the room was ready and gave us keys?
Next stop was one of the restaurants for a drink. It was a self-service operation with employees unfamiliar with bar service working. It look a bit for anyone to figure out how to make a drink and where the products were stored. This was the theme for the rest of our visits, but the employees working at Tanq seemed a bit more knowledgable. Other patrons were showing frustration as well, due to NO service in the restaurant/bar area.
The next day we received the gift of no housekeeping. My husband did walk by a room with a couple employees on a bed watching TV, so maybe it was their break or rest period which diverted them.
The rooms are a bit dated and luckily I had secured a good rate with early booking. I've never left a hotel without tipping housekeeping, but this was my first. The in-room coffee machine will come in handy as the line at their lobby Starbucks was impossible. There is also a Peet's on the opposite side of the convention center by the Hilton which seems to process orders much more efficiently.
It was convenient only. A few months prior we had stayed at the Four Points by Sheraton which is only a block or so away from the convention center. Between the two, I'd pick the Four Points.

1 Thank CocoMaKai
Hickman, CA
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I stayed here for the Good Teaching Conference 2/3-2/5. Upon our arrival we were told that we didn't book early enough to get a room with two beds. I explained that we had booked in October and our friends who booked the week before were able to get a room with two beds. She lied to us and said that they had booked in September. We had to speak to a manager to get what we needed, but after much discussion they found a room with two beds. I have stayed here before and not experienced that kind of trouble, so maybe she was just crabby. The room was average, nothing to write home about. But the hotel is in a good location. There is a moderate walk to the nearest Starbucks and lots of restaurants and shopping nearby.

Room Tip: Be sure to get written confirmation of your room type so you don't have to waste time when you g...