“A crack in the Hyatt Reputation... oh dear....”

HYATT House San Jose/Silicon Valley
Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
San Luis Obispo, California
“A crack in the Hyatt Reputation... oh dear....”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I was excited to stay at this brand spankin' new Hyatt House and booked it without hesitation for both nights of my inbound and outbound flights from the nearby airport. My excitement soon waned. The hotel is in a shopping center that is somewhat still under construction. When I entered the hotel I found it to be very attracted and decorated in a retro style.The registration desk was well staffed. One person was answer a phone call. (Someone had left behind a stuffed animal, and no the housekeeping staff had not turned it in. The thought ran across my mind that I had better keep a close watch on my things here... that things don't get turned in to lost and found.) The other person at the desk checked me in and gave me a key to my room. The drive to the hotel was several hours for me and I was looking forward to getting up to my room and having a long soak in a hot bath. But first, you have to go back out to your car and put a parking pass in your car window. I found this inconvenient as I am traveling solo carrying all my own luggage. If they had emailed me the parking pass I could have done that before I came in the first time. Or, if I had known about this parking pass exercise I could have left my luggage and brought it in the second trip instead of lugging it back and forth, up and down curbs twice as many times as I needed to. Very thoughtless and inefficient of them. Not something Hyatt is usually known for. Once I got back into the hotel a second time, I headed into the elevator and didn't realized they were fancysmancy elevators that required you to use your room key to operate them. It would have been kind of the reception desk to point this out since it still isn't common practice (at least in my experience) for this to be the case of most elevators. I did think it was a nice safety feature. Having to go to the reception desk to ask how to work the elevator was embarrassing and it was now taking a very long time to simply get to my room. The bathroom was unusual in three ways. First, there is only a walk in shower, no bathtub. Second, the shampoo isn't the tiny little bottles, but a large bottle attached to the wall with a tiny pump to pump out the shampoo. ditto for the shower gel. The third unusual thing is that a full tube of toothpaste is provided. The bed is comfortable. It has a down type comforter in a duvet cover, so you if that is too hot for you, there isn't the option of just sleeping with a sheet. You also don't have much of a range of control in the temperature of the air conditioning. It won't go lower than 68 degrees. Check out time is noon. The signs in the parking area say you can't part there after 9:30. (I don't what you are expected to do with you car after 9:30???) Now, mind you ,,,, all this stuff can be lived with... Here's what cannot, and it echos back to the very first stuffed animal thing. I accidently left my carry on bag of very nice item I had bought in Hawaii in my room and guess what? Housekeeping never turned them in to lost and found. When I called the hotel I was told that housekeeping supervisor saw them in my room and thought I hadn't check out yet. Then when the housekeeper went to clean my room later in the day they didn't see them. "Vanishing" stuffed animals and bags left in rooms by mistake, rather than being turned in to lost and found rates this hotel terrible for me. It's a pity. I have stayed at and have loved Hyatt's for decades all over the world.

Room Tip: Well, if you are going to keep your things with you at all times any room should be good. If you ar...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank heidi h
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Super friendly service, decent breakie and nice and modern! Pool table could benefit from new cloth but overall an excellent stay. Free shuttle service to place of work saves on cab fares and access to local airports is straightforward!

• Stayed February 2012
california
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Now called the Hyatt Place- this hotel is so new, the addy was not even on my dated GPS! Hip, cool decor in the rooms and the common areas - very very clean and had a very nice smell! Beds were nice, water pressure excellent, breakfast buffet w/ omelette bar great, free wi-fi great reception, free parking that's actually close to the building, but the most important thing is that the staff was very accomodating& courteous! Special mention to Kristina & Kimmy! I have stayed in a LOT of hotels; certainly, while this is not 5*, this was truly truly exceptional! Thank you!!! Love it! Will certainly come back!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good!! There is really no view to choose from, except a parking lot or garage- it...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I go to San Jose several times a year for work and each time have been trying out a different place to stay. So far I haven't been able to find a place worthy of staying in a second time (hard beds, thin walls, rude staff, etc.) but finally I have found the hotel that I will be going back to. Hotel Sierra or Hyatt Home as it's now called is as close to perfect as it can get. First, it's brand new and smells really good! Second, the rooms are very comfortably furnished (I stayed in a mini studio with a nicely equipped kitchen) & super clean. Third, free breakfast and coffee downstairs! And how about free parking?! Also the bed was soft and comfortable and the hotel very quiet. Only minor complaints I noted were that the pillows were too high and poofy and unfortunately the person next to me was a night owl and kept opening and closing his door at 3 am. Hyatt should install better hinges in the doors so that they close quieter. I was awakened every night by my neighbor. Overall though, way better deal than the stuffy, overpriced Fairmont that comes a distant second in terms of the whole package.

Room Tip: Rooms next to exit are OK because people seem to use elevators (exit takes you straight outside).
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank SuomiSusa
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Seems the soon to be renamed hotel has joined the hyatt group. This hotel was off my radar until recently. Pristine and comfortable. The room was well appointed and the rate was a great value. What a surprise in the morning to find an omlette station in the breakfast room. Perfectly cooked eggs and lovely staff. What a way to start the day!

• Stayed January 2012