Wigwam Village #7 is beautifully maintained and a fun but inexpensive trip ($60!! for 1 night) for a bored couple coming from LA. I can't say enough good things about this place- our visit was wonderful. Our wigwam was non smoking and smelled fine. It was really cool to go inside and see how everything looked; I've always wondered! The most fun I had was walking around the wigwams with Kumar (his family owns this place) and getting a mini tour with all of the interesting history of this motel built in 1949. Kumar was so sweet and told us about all of the wigwam villages, how the motel has changed over the years (ie. wifi), and about the man who created it all. Kumar was so nice- he even brought us some Route 66 root beer & carmel popcorn for a snack during our stay. And he took our pictures in the best spots around the motel! Very cool guy.
Perhaps visiting San Bernadino or Rialto isn't the fanciest thing you could do but I wouldn't say it's the "ghetto" like some people have suggested. Maybe living in NYC for 7 years and walking past the projects of the Bronx altered my perspective.. I never felt weird or unsafe here, just like I was in the middle of nowhere. I also don't understand why people would give less of a rating because "it's not the Bellagio" or whatever. Um, obviously. We aren't really the type of people to spend a lot of $$$ on lodgings or fancy trips.. that's why we went here! 5 stars for wonderful service, clean & kitschy lodgings, and a great time! The pool was very cute and if it had been warmer I definitely would've taken a dip in it.
I have already recommended this place to my friends in LA. If you want an amazing dose of kitsch look no further down Route 66.. it's all here. The McDonald's Museum (unofficial but located where the original one stood) was also a lot of fun. I guess this place is really what you make of it- bring the fun with you and you'll have an amazing time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Historic Route 66! One of the few remaining classic motels. This family-fun roadside attraction was built in 1949 and has undergone a renovation phase. The motel offers a complete guest room in a peculiar fashion of actual wigwam units. The motel comprises of all the standard hotel amenities and even includes free Wi-Fi connection! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your Wigwam Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wigwam Hotel San Bernardino
- Wigwam Motel San Bernardino