“Best in Town”
Review of Cook

Cook
Reserve with OpenTable
Cook is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 51 Restaurants in St. Helena
Price range: US$ 16 - US$ 25
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 13 February 2012

By far the best food in the area. Our favorite spot to eat for both lunch and dinner. We have never had a meal in Cook that we did not like. The eggplant Parmesan, made on wednesdays, is amazing and the flour less chocolate cake is worth showing up for no matter here you had your meal. The service is very professional and no matter what you order on the menu, it will be way above average.

2  Thank drbw1
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 20 January 2012

this is a great little place.. don't miss it if your in St Helena

Reviewed 8 January 2012

On a business trip, I had only 6 free hours--so I walked downtown St. Helena looking for where there was a crowd at 2:00 on a Thursday-my trick for finding a great restaurant. Cook fit the bill--and sure enough, it was filled with happy locals. The bartender Adam was so friendly and helped me with a wine that was not on the regular menu--and after he described the risotto special (with ribiola cheese, scallops, and a frisee of hearts of fire and crab) I didn't even look at the menu, I had to have it. It was so excellent that I ordered a second full entree for dessert! That has never happened before. The chef was at the bar and very accessible. I spoke with a few locals, got a second pour on the house, and left feeling well cared-for. I LOVED this place!

1  Thank travelerista
Reviewed 6 January 2012

When we travel we try to find a hole in the wall away from the hype. Food Network chefs with elaborate, over the top menus and prices to match should stay in Los Vegas.

Napa Valley is a tourist destination with the infrastructure to match. My Bay Area friends even refused to join us as jaded long time visitors often do. My first trip to Napa was in 1977 so the change is obvious but we had an appointment at Silver Oak and needed to have lunch. So my search for the real thing lead me to Cook and I was not disappointed.

After wine tasting, I was looking for a glass of wine, a good app and a plate of pasta. Cook provided all three in a neighborhood like atmosphere. Our waitress was busy and professional, the food came out at the right interval and my 1:00 reservation had the restaurant with one table, reserved for us. It's tough to walk into a restaurant on a Friday at Christmas during the lunch rush at 1:00 and still find your table waiting but there it was. I consider this the acid test for managing a restaurant and they did well.

I enjoyed my gnocchi in gorgonzola cream sauce and tried the calamari app which also was good. I chose a Volpaia Chianti glass of wine which had a difficult time standing up after tasting all that Silver Oak but what did I expect ?

Cook must be one of the smallest cafes in St Helena and delivered everything I wanted for a casual lunch in the valley. The price seemed reasonable considering where you are.
My friends in San Anselmo missed out on this one!

1  Thank hammersb
Reviewed 6 January 2012

with good Italian influenced food. We go back periodically.