“Ella-gent Dining with food to match”

Ella Dining Room & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Ella Dining Room & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 2,169 Restaurants in Sacramento
Price range: US$ 31 - US$ 50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 12th Street
Transit: Cathedral Square Lite Rail stop 100 yards. Bus stops one block in either direction from K Street.
Description: In the heart of Downtown, the family behind The Kitchen and Selland's Market Café brings you the region’s most relaxed and elegant destination, Ella Dining Room and Bar. Ella offers warm, welcoming ambiance in an inspiring space that evokes effortless European rustic luxury. Our design team from Amsterdam has created an environment that is modern yet timeless, dramatic yet comforting. Ella brings together the finest quality local farm to fork ingredients from this bountiful region to create authentic and honest fine food that nourishes body and soul. Chef and Owner Randall Selland and family invite you to savor the joys of friends, family, and great food and wine. Service is gracious and refined. Ella has signature handcrafted cocktails, an eclectic and impressive wine list, and a fresh seafood bar. We specialize in Private Parties. Perfect for business lunches, celebration dinners, and everyday enjoyment. Walking distance from Convention Center, Capitol, theaters, and hotels. Located in America''s Farm to Fork Capital, Sacramento, in the city's "The Kay" District.
Reviewed 30 March 2017

Ella is the beginning of Elegant, which this restaurant is. Located near the entrance is a nice waiting area with an elegant seafood and cocktail bar nearby. There is an open kitchen and several dining alcoves. On our visit, the restaurant was crowded, but not noisy. The entrees include several seafood items along with steak, pork chops, and chicken. Our entrees included the Lobster carbonara and the chili glazed Berkshire pork chop. There are a number of small plates including bone marrow, oysters, and grilled octopus, as well as soups and salads. The bone marrow preparation was different than I have ever seen with a table-side removing of the marrow from the bones. Fascinating. There is an extensive wine list including almost 20 bottles under $50 and a fabulous list of hand-crafted cocktails and spirits. The service was great, led by Amber T and assistants. Location is right downtown near the State Capitol building. Valet and validated parking are available.

Reviewed 28 March 2017 via mobile

Based on all the reviews, we were looking forward to a great meal at Ella. It all started off well with some great cocktails at the bar and some appetizers. At the waiters recommendation, 2 of us decided to try the lobster carbonara, and 40 minutes later (read 3/4 of an hour), our pasta dish came out of the kitchen, only after reminding our waiter that our entrees had not come out yet. The carbonara and lobster was lukewarm. Needless to say, we were very disappointed, but so hungry after such a long wait, ate it regardless. I would have rated the food as 5 star if it had been served hot and in less than half the time. The manager apologized and took both entrees off the bill, which was unexpected and a wonderful customer service gesture. However, I still can't help to think how our dining experience might have ended up a 5 star overall if our server had been more attentive and better managed our food order.

1  Thank cchan219
Reviewed 27 March 2017

Walked in during the happy hour time, ordered a few items on the menu. The food is fresh and well prepared, and with the happy hour price, I would say it was excellent!

What I love the most is - Yellowfin Tuna Crudo.

One definitely should try it if s/he is a fish lover!

Reviewed 8 March 2017

Good: Happy Hour Drinks and Food are great; Valet is reasonable
Cons: Dinner Service in Dining Hall not helpful for re-seating a chilly location for a family dinner
-Celebrating a birthday dinner, not expecting much more than a comped desert...didn't happen. Would expect at least a desert comped (even Morton's does...) when spending $80/person for dinner and drinks.

Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

I chose Ella for a special family birthday. I made reservations thru Open Table a month prior & a few days before the day, I realized I hadn't heard back so I called & to my dismay, they had no reservation! (Definitely an oversight on my part or Open Table - NO fault of Ella). I panicked as my family was coming in from different locations for a surprise! Jason, the manager, calmly assured me that my dinner would take place---even though it was 3 days away & the restaurant was fully booked! He was awesome! Somehow managed to not only get our party of 7 in, but he placed us at the chef's table which was amazing!!! Now that's a great manager! And when a restaurant is well managed, everything falls into place. Wait staff was excellent, sommelier was impressive, food was divine--7 people with 6 different main courses & all raved about their choices!), plus the restaurant is just beautiful! We had a lovely time & amazing food. Kudos to Jason & his staff! Ella never disappoints!!