“Energetic Bar/Restaurant in the neigbourhood "suburbs"”

Malabar American Cooking
Reserve with OpenTable
Malabar American Cooking is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 2,215 Restaurants in Sacramento
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Interstate 5
Description: Malabar American Cooking serves classic American dishes with an innovative twist. A Sacramento, CA favorite, you'll find something for everyone here!
Reviewed 14 September 2017

This is a big, dark, high-ceiling bar with many sports games on various TV screens. Big bar scene with long happy hour. But also has many tables for food. Menu is extensive and quite good, for reasonable price (and large portion sizes). Very full/busy on a Wednesday, at 5:30. Service was quite quick with several friendly smiles (just not my waitress!). Not fine dining, but great for casual American drinks and a meal. Lots of parking beside the restaurant.. and walking distance from several of the "airport" hotels (which are not really at the airport - 4 miles away).

MalabarJohn, Owner at Malabar American Cooking, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2017

Hi John,

Thank you so much for your 4-Star review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience with us! We look forward to having you back again. Take care

Reviewed 17 August 2017

We ate here because we were staying in a hotel nearby, and we were very happily surprised at the quality of food and drinks. I'm not sure why I say "surprised", but we just weren't sure what to expect, since it was located next to a number of hotels and fairly close to the airport. The Ahi Tartar and Prawns was delicious (I wished I could have gotten one or the other separately), but they were both very good. The Calamari was truly "flash fried", and very lightly breaded - exactly what we prefer. We both had the Asian Ahi Salad, and were very impressed by the amount of tuna atop the bowl of asian slaw. Service was fairly rapid and very friendly.

MalabarJohn, Owner at Malabar American Cooking, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2017

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us. Thank you for leaving this positive review and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

My wife works near Malabar & has been their for lunch. Each time she has been there, she comes home talking about the good food she had for lunch. Last night we went to Malabar for dinner. We got their early & were seated immediately. I ordered the linguini with shrimp, my wife had blue cheese hamburger. We were both satisfied with our food. My dish was very tasty. I was surprised to have 10 shrimp with my linguini. My wife's hamburger was 1/2 pound. She only ate half of her hamburger. When my wife ordered, she told our waitress she was interested in 4 dishes. She couldn't make her mind up, so she asked the waitress to surprise her with her dinner. She was not disappointed. We will be back to have dinner at Malabar in the near future.

MalabarJohn, Owner at Malabar American Cooking, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Kevin, thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you and your wife had a great time and a great experience with us. We look forward to having you back again.

Reviewed 3 August 2017

Went there on recommendation from a hotel staffer nearby and it turned out to be a great place for a relaxing dinner. When we arrived the place wasn’t too crowded (after 7 pm) and we were seated immediately. Waiter was friendly and helpful and fun to chat with (all adding to the ambience). Well, ambience might be a bit overrated as it’s a bar, a bar restaurant and a sports bar (so it seems). Each TV had sports running.
We order a few local microbrews which were great and delivered quickly. Burger was delicious and one of the best I had in a while. The Avocado Poke Asian Salad was also great but lacked of Avocado (found one piece), taste though was nice. While we chose the place traveling through, I would go there again anytime. Food was great, service nice and we got a nice meal after a long day on the road.

Thank you for coming in and dining with us. We appreciate your feedback. We use our reviews to improve our overall customer experience. We look forward to having you dine with us again.

Reviewed 4 July 2017 via mobile

Malabar was recommended to us by local hotel staff, I must say it was extremely disappointing. The only highlight of the meal was our waiter, John, his wit was assuming and quite entertaining. My husband and I both had the special, Halibut with Prawns over a cheddar jalapeño grits. There was no seasoning on the fish, it had been seared, but had zero flavor. We thought maybe it had been frozen versus fresh fish. The oils in cheese sauce had broken, making me wonder if it had been reheated. Our total bill was $160, far more than what it was worth! I would not recommend. This food was chain restaurant quality at $16-$30 per meal.

MalabarJohn, Owner at Malabar American Cooking, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2017

Hi there,
I wanted to touch base with you about your review. I'm sorry to hear if our cuisine did not live up to your expectations. To clarify, none of our fish is frozen or meals reheated. We use fresh ingredients and source locally whenever possible, which is reflected in our prices. Please know that we happily welcome in-house feedback, so we can have the opportunity to make things right for you during your visit! While it's disappointing to read your comments, I appreciate your candid feedback and giving Malabar a try. Take care.