All reviews cal expo courtyard marriott front desk paul mitchell train noise arden mall state fair definitely stay here again home away from home business trip i highly recommend this hotel staying at this hotel comfortable room free breakfast bistro freeway railroad
Reviewed 1 July 2017

Another pleasant Marriot experience. First rate front desk and bistro staff. Nice big comfortable room as well. After we checked in, Brittney was kind enough to call and ask if everything was OK. Nice touch!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2017

I've spent about a year having Monday night dinner at the Bistro in this Courtyard and will miss the staff members. Cory the barkeep remembers peoples names and is efficient and friendly. Ivan mans the counter and roams the tables serving and always has a pleasant welcoming smile and is effective at taking orders, ensuring the food is served promptly and the orders are correct. Avery also assists in the serving of food and beverages and also has a never wavering smile as she gets food and drink to the right tables.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 June 2017

Let me start by saying the front desk staff was extremely professional, great and on top of their game. So was every other staff member I can to into contact with. Joy, another manager at this location, had kept her cool in a difficult situation as well despite me being frustrated.

I had a stressful situation while traveling I had my credit card stolen earlier that day and I had ordered a new one, but also my bank had to put my other cards on hold. Obviously, I am aware that most hotels require a deposit. I was working to get the situation figured out when I arrived. I was being helped by a very nice front desk clerk and a manager Joy. Both women were very nice and professional in spite of a difficult situation.

However, I then, unfortunately, came into contact with the regional manager Doug Warren and the situation turned into a scary and horribly demeaning interaction. I had pulled out my debit card and was willing to put the deposit on that card. I put my debit card down on the counter. I was tired and frustrated. Apparently, Doug said he did not like my "attitude" and specifically the way I set my debit card down. He told the front desk clerk to cancel my reservation that I had prepaid for.

I was furious, I asked him why he was canceling my reservation and he said, "I don't appreciate your attitude and the way you set your card down on the counter." I apologized, I told him I was tired and frustrated (I never raised my voice btw) and frankly that I thought he was overreacting and that this was extremely poor customer service on his part. But I STILL apologized....because I was desperate get into my hotel room.

He then said "ok, I'll let you into the hotel." At that point he could have walked away, he could have done a number of things but he continued to stand there, while the front desk clerk was processing my information, and picked at me. He reiterated that he didn't think he was providing poor customer service. I told him, calmly, that I disagreed but I just wanted to go to my hotel room. When I said that he then told the poor front desk clerk, "Wait, never mind, cancel her reservation!"

I was astonished and I asked him why he was going back and forth and that I just wanted to get into my hotel room. He said, "You are calling me a liar." He kept saying that over and over, completely losing his cool, he also grabbed my debit card and supposedly mimicked the offensive manner that I simply had put my card down on the counter saying, "you, you slammed your card down on the counter like thism this! You are being aggressive." It was completely bizarre, unprofessional and petty.

This is a white man, a manager, at a major hotel in his 40s or 50s. I am a professional, 34, 5"3 Latina woman. There were multiple witnesses to this interaction. I never once raised my voice.

I was still just desperate to get into my hotel room, I didn't want to try and find another hotel at this point. But I am also now sincerely regretting having stayed to take this man's abuse because it got worse.

I asked him to please honor the reservation that I had already paid for and to let me into my room. He said, "Why should I? You are only going to leave a bad review...what's in it for me to let you stay here?" ( I didn't realize that Marriot had a requirement that all guests need to promise to positively review their properties in order to stay there. ) I reminded him that I could still leave a bad review whether or not I ended up staying there or not and that I had already pre-paid for my room. I asked him what he wanted from me so I could just keep my reservation.

He then said, "I would like you to say thank you."

I am terribly embarrassed and humiliated to admit this publicly but in the moment, despite feeling horrible about this I said, "Thank you Doug" (looking at his nametag). And I feel sick to my stomach just telling this account here publicly.

He still refused to let me keep my reservation (that was prepaid for). He said, "That was completely sarcastic! I don't think you are thankful." I was near tears and I swallowed hard and repeated, "Thank you, Doug, can I please be allowed to keep my reservation." He then said, "Now...that was better, Now I believe you are being sincere." And he told the front desk clerk to finish checking me in. He walked away and I was shaking and holding back tears.

The front desk clerk, an African American woman was extremely kind, and also visibly horrified with the behavior of her boss. Once he was out of site she told me her name, Chanel, and the name of the other front desk clerk working...she told profusely me to ask if I needed anything.

Once I got into my room I was in tears. I still hadn't fully processed what had happened. 15min later I got a call from the front desk. The kind woman, Chanel was calling to check on me, she asked me if I was ok and again told me to reach out if I needed anything.

So I want to reiterate, Chanel, Joy (the female manager I interacted with before Doug), every other employee I came into contact with at this Marriot was extremely kind and great. It is this manager Doug Warren that ruined this experience for me.

I called Marriot's customer service line later that evening and a report has been filed, the customer service agent who took the call was extremely kind as well. They told me they will let me know what action is being taken within five business days. I will update this review with information of Marriot's response.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank NotTakingIT_415
Joanne S, General Manager at Courtyard Sacramento Cal Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2017

As is the case when people respond anonymously the story is quite distorted. Let me start by saying I am sorry your credit card was stolen or lost, that in itself is very frustrating and time consuming to fix.
This interaction had nothing to do with race or racism! If you look around our property we have people from 13 different countries and all walks of life, all of which support the Marriott belief that taking care of guests is our first priority.
You had a problem with the supervisor Joy telling you of the debit card policy, the same thing Channel told you, this is how I was brought into the situation. I never lost my cool or raised my voice either and as I mentioned to you the cameras would support that statement.
Long story short I am sorry that your faced challenges upon check in at our property, that is never our intent to create a poor experience for our guests.
Safe travels in the future.
Doug Warren

Reviewed 22 June 2017

We want to thank the staff at the courtyard cal expo for all they did to make our stay the very best it could be while a family member was in UC Davis in critical condition. It just so happened that area manager, Doug Warren, was on site and was made aware why we were there. Doug did all he could possibly do, to help us with a room as the hotel was booked for Olympic trials. we could never thank Doug enough. Not only Doug, but the entire staff. From the receptionist to the maintenance group. Top notch. And who could forget Cory. Thank you Cory for helping to ease our pain at the end of the day. If we are ever back in Sacramento we will see you again.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2017 via mobile

Comfortable and clean. Always a good choice. Great beds and nicely decorated. Close to Arden Mall and many different restaurants. Just a few miles from the State Capitol, Old Sacramento and other area attractions.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business