“Wonderful food and service for a birthday celebration”
Review of Il Fornaio

Il Fornaio
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 2,215 Restaurants in Sacramento
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 40
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 4th Street
Transit: Regional Transit stops one block over on 4th and L Street. Amtrack stops three blocks over on 4th and I Street.
Description: Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. Located in downtown Sacramento, this award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience and a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2007 wine list. Enjoy wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; house made and imported pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and house made soups; antipasti and a wide variety of desserts made daily from scratch.
Reviewed 6 September 2016

Il Fornaio is one of our "treat" restaurants for special occasions; it is a little pricey (most entrees are in the mid to high $20 range), but it can be counted on to be consistently good. With the opening of the new arena, Il Fornaio now offers free parking with validation at the adjacent Wells Fargo building in garage, which will be a huge help as traffic ticks up downtown. Everyone for our special evening was very gracious - from the hostess who let us use the house phone for an emergency call to our wonderful waitress Naomi, who bent over backwards to accommodate both the birthday guest and my elderly mother. Bread at the table was freshly baked and generously offered. We had the calamari also (a favorite) and the caesar salads that evening had wonderfully fresh dressings that may be one of the best caesars I've had in a while. The linguini mare chiaro (sp?) had a nice spice and a generous amount of seafood. The risotto was a very generous portion and my husband thought it was excellent. I had the mixed grill of fish, a new menu item for me, and thought it tasted fresh and nicely seasoned. We had the mixed platter of desserts, which is advertised as a trio but came with a scoop a delicious sherbert as well - it was plenty for four people to share. We left stuffed and delighted by our evening. The ambiance in the restaurant is absolutely lovely, although the high ceiling sometimes makes it a little hard to hear low conversation. My comments about the "family and kid friendly" nature of the restaurant have to take your particular kids into consideration. It's a big deal for us to go out for dinner, so our kids know they have to be on "church behavior" for lack of a better word. The restaurant is a destination, and other diners would not be grateful for kids misbehaving. That said, there is good yummy stuff for them to eat.

Reviewed 31 August 2016 via mobile

The ambiance was nice, but it's a pretty, pricey place to have lunch. The service was great, but I wasn't overly impressed with the food.

Reviewed 26 July 2016

Seasonal menus and delicious repeat menu items make this a go to restaurnat, that fortuitously, 5 minutes from our home!

Reviewed 21 July 2016

Classy decor, exception service, terrific Italian food. Located near the Capital bldg, this restaurant is located on the bottom floor of an office bldg. Dont miss the historic Wells Fargo museum pieces adjoining the restaurant. We ate an early dinner and had no trouble finding a table. While the restaurant is somewhat formal looking people were dressed from suits to very casual (I had shorts and sandals). Service was very good. Food was a bit expensive but exceptional.

Reviewed 19 May 2016

Always an excellent meal and service. We last went with friends from Turkey - turned out that we all liked the same waiter - Saied. I love the veal scallopini. Both my wife and I enjoy the house salad. She usually enjoys the fish special. Unfortunately they don't have creme brulee or apple crepe with vanilla ice cream anymore. Both delicious. Deeply missed.