New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #10 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
Saint Charles, MO
“Overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I stayed at the Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel in October 2011 because I attended a conference that was being held there. The hotel was convenient to walking most places in the city. If you don't mind walking a little, it was the perfect distance from many places in the area. Luckily, I checked "parking" fees in their parking lot and saw how ridiculous the charges were and canceled my car reservations.

Short version: If I had to do it all over again, I would not stay there. It did not feel safe in the lobby and it was over priced for what I was given, and felt like they did a bait and switch with my hotel fees they originally quoted me. I travel for business on a regular basis and felt the customer service was awful when presented with issues that I was unhappy with.

My experiences:
Check - in would have been better, had they on file the rate they quoted me over the phone! I was caught off guard with $20 more per night! Also, I checked in during a busy check-in time, and there was only one person at the front counter. You would think that during a busy time they would have more than one person at the front desk. There was a line of about 6-8 people. While I am a patient person, others in line were getting frustrated since each person checking in had issues which took longer than normal.

The room itself was clean, and there was a nice view. I liked the little area near the window where I could sit and read. The room had areas that the walls were dinged up or areas that needed to be touched up.

The hotel charges for internet service in the room (very expensive!) but had free wi-fi in the hotel lobby. I was trying to get some business work done in the lobby. This was not doable. I got kicked off the wi-fi every 5-10 minutes. The front desk stated that I could pay for wi-fi, or I could use my free 1/2 hour in the business center....which of course didn't support the website that I needed to get to.

Also, I was approached by several homeless men asking me for money, etc. There was security at the front door, but they weren't stopping these men from approaching guests. I am a female, alone on a business trip - and I felt VERY unsafe in the lobby with these men constantly harassing me. I approached the front desk about this and they assured me they were aware of this reoccurring problem... Seriously? Aware? Why not do something about it then?? Security came to speak to me, took down the information I stated...but not 5 minutes later I was approached by another homeless guy.

I ended up going down the street to the kinkos-fed ex to use their free wi-fi to work. It was very inconvenient but at least I was not harassed by homeless men and my internet was more reliable.

For as much as I was paying for the hotel room (close to $200) they could provide free wi-fi in the rooms! The hotels down the street that were $50-100 a night provided that AND free breakfast!

Not happy with my experiences, not happy with the hotel's customer service. Mentioned this throughout the week and at check out, and not one apology or attempt to make things right.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lilsundrop
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Paradise, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights for a romantic getaway. We stayed in the starwood preferred guest floor and had good service. The room is up to starwood expextations and we had a good time. Only problem was we came back to the room at four pm to find it not cleaned.they apologized and sent up some fresh towels.great stay in general.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank thedzoo
Camarillo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I had the opportunity to stay at The Sheraton Grand, Sacramento, about a year ago. While there I ordered room service one evening from Morgans. On the menu was a sea scallop dish that was served on crab risotto. I ordered it and it was one of the most wonderful dishes I have ever eaten. The flavors and textures were perfectly matched.

I returned to Sacramento and The Sheraton Grand this week and was hoping the sea scallops were still on the menu: they were! Of course, I ordered them again and they were excellent. My colleagues and I went back the next night and following morning to eat again at Morgans as our dining experience was so good the first evening. I particularly enjoyed the southwestern eggs benedict featuring polenta cakes (instead of English muffins) and pulled pork.

The staff is attentive, friendly, and knowledgeable. Kudos to Chef Michel! His blend of flavors appeal to all five senses. I can't wait to eat at Morgans on my next trip to Sacramento!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Carol E
Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

we got a very nice corner room on the 24th floor with a nice view over the city. lot's of hd channels. wifi costs something but i don't remember how much. there's free wifi in the lobby.
parking is expensive.

i was not so happy about the fact that they charged us the internet although we used only the free internet in the lobby.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Tracy, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

This is an excellent hotel for events at the Convention Center or for a tour of the Capitol Building. It is, however, not in a good walking distance to Old Sacramento or other areas west. The neighborhood is not all that great. Area is not loaded with open places to eat on weekends. Having said this, it is an excellent venue for an event and is self contained.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends