“Mothers Day Brunch”
Review of Skool

Skool
Ranked #150 of 2,249 Restaurants in Sacramento
Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

Celebrated Mother’s Day brunch last week. We tried their fresh raw oysters, and some fried oysters too. Both were very good. We had karaage chicken and waffles and it was delicious. For dessert, we had a flan special and this was good too. Service was excellent and the environment was kind of hip. Overall, restaurant is worth going to. Wish the menu was a little bit larger though.

Date of visit: May 2018

Reviewed 5 February 2018

I had the Escolar (butterfish). Maybe one of the best-tasting peices of fish I've had in years. The restaurant is in a great location, fun decor and great service.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

More casual than I expected, Skool is low-key and easy to be comfortable in. Wanting to try a variety of interesting things on the menu; dishes were perfect portion for my wife and I to share. Pork belly was good, the broth was the personality. Octopus balls were puffed bliss, fantastic! Squid ink pasta is a signature dish not to miss. Unfortunately, we were so excited upon its arrival, I forgot to snap a photo!
Blue cheese cake was phenomenal highlighted by the almonds and honey and pear.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 1 October 2017

Black squid noodles with seafood and a great soup, really fantastic fusion food. Great wine lst too, we had Sancerre which matched perfectly, and ad a great Pinot Noir for desert.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

My wife and I arrived hungry in Sacramento after a long drive from Salt Lake City. We visit downtown Sacramento frequently and certainly have some favorite restaurants here. We decided to visit a new restaurant that had received uniformly good reviews. When we are in the Midwest, we eat beef. When we are in California we eat Asian or seafood. In this case, we killed two birds with one stone. Skool is a seafood restaurant of Japanese pedigree, an offshoot of a San Francisco restaurant of the same name. Their food blew us away. It was inventive, fresh, and delicious! We have had ceviche before in other good restaurants. You could tell that the ceviche served here belonged to the same family of food, but their rendition of it was unmistakably their own. I dare say that it would impress any celebrity chef. Their raw oysters were as good as any we have ever had. I had never had soft shell crab before, but it was delicious, deep fried, and served with aioli. They have a full service bar, but the highlight was the sake flight. It is well nigh impossible to find good sake in our home state of Nebraska, but California is not so impoverished, and the quality of their sake selection should satisfy anyone used to sake shops in Japan. The desserts are made in house. On the advice of our waiter, we tried their blue cheesecake. Who'd have thunk that cheesecake made with blue cheese, instead of being "interesting," would actually be delectable? We started during happy hour, had five drinks between the two of us, had appetizers and 3 entree's (Did I say that we arrived hungry?), and the bill with tax and before tip came to $125.

People who are looking for meat and potatoes should go elsewhere, and there are several good restaurants in downtown Sacramento that will fill the bill nicely. Those seeking a true culinary adventure will not be disappointed at Skool.

Date of visit: June 2017