Open today: 10:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Review Highlights
Great wines and hospitality!

I visited Cakebread Cellars on vacation recently and was blown away by the incredible service and... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
allison479
Columbus, Ohio
Cakebread Cellars as Tasty as it Sounds; Great wines, facilities and hospitality!

This was the first winery we visited during a one week tour of Napa Valley and its many famous... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Steven L
Singapore, Singapore

All reviews dancing bear white wine tasting our tour guide the reserve cooking class great wine wine club make reservations nice tour private tasting tasting room wine educator napa valley pinot noir first stop club members favorite winery
Reviewed 16 January 2018 via mobile

Have always enjoyed Cakebread wines since it’s early years. Not too sure if they are just getting too big. Lots of construction going on with more Visitor area being built. Many smaller wineries to go to. Only opinion as many enjoy stopping here

Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

I love wine and wine country. It is always fun to meet the hosts and find out more about the wine. This experience with Nancy was exceptional. She is knowledgeable about the wine and made the tasting so fun. We sat outside with beautiful weather and found a lovely Chardonnay. It’s worth the hassle of making an appointment!!

Reviewed 8 January 2018

We visited on a slow day and the staff was kind of enough to walk us around and extend our tasting a bit. It made for a more informative experience and we really appreciated it :). The wine is also great too. I recommend the Chardonnay Reserve! Insta: @lltravelmel

Reviewed 3 January 2018

A wonderful winery with some of the best red wine I tasted. Their 2004 Merlot was the most memorable wine in the flight that we tasted. The people were friendly and knowledgeable which made for a fun experience.

Reviewed 13 December 2017

My husband and I have been visiting Napa Valley for decades. We used to visit back in the day when tastings were free and the tasting room was a simple, small space. Over the years wine tasting has become big business with most wineries charging between $25 and $75 per person per tasting. It adds up fast!

When you go wine tasting, you are looking to not only drink some wine, but to learn about wine. Depending on your knowledge level, the tasting host will either give you general beginner wine information, more detailed information about the wine, and progress onto the winemaker and specific processes of the wine you are drinking. In any event, the tasting host should be educating you about something having to do with wine or the winery.

On a recent visited the “Rutherford” area of Napa valley three wineries were visited. Sequoia Grove, Cakebread and Inglenook. Sequoia was the best. The tasting host was super nice and very informative. Once she realized we knew something about wine, she then proceeded to tell us about the winemaker and winery. Cost for tasting was $25 per person for current release.

Next stop was Cakebread. By far the least favorite and in my opinion, can skip this winery. It was a waste of both time and money. I had the $40 tasting of the reds. The issues I had were 1) The grounds are not grand compared to other Napa wineries, 2) The reds were “young” and therefor didn’t taste very good at all. This can sometimes be helped by offering tasters food (often cheese) or letting the wine air before tasting. This winery doesn’t do this so your tasting experience is bad. (Also, the tasting pour was the smallest of the three!) 3) The tasting host didn’t offer any insight to the wine, winery or wine maker. Instead he kept talking about Bourbon and stereo equipment. I couldn’t wait to leave.

Our last stop was Inglenook. I had the regular tasting costing $45 per person – but this comes with cheese/bread to help the tasting. The grounds and chateau of the winery are spectacular! Nice to visit even if you don’t do a tasting. The chateau has on the second floor movie memorabilia from Francis Ford Coppola (who purchased the winery decades ago). The wines were nice and having food to accompany the tasting helped the reds taste better. I was especially impressed with the Rubicon and I wasn’t surprised to see it sells for over $200 per bottle. The host was pleasant and provided education about the winery, wine maker etc…

1  Thank Peggy P