“Top notch wine and service”
Review of Cakebread Cellars

Cakebread Cellars
Ranked #7 of 26 things to do in Rutherford
More attraction details
Owner description: This winery specializes in producing wine to go with particular types of food and sells most of its wines to restaurants throughout the world.
Reviewed 3 January 2018

A wonderful winery with some of the best red wine I tasted. Their 2004 Merlot was the most memorable wine in the flight that we tasted. The people were friendly and knowledgeable which made for a fun experience.

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"first stop"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed 13 December 2017

My husband and I have been visiting Napa Valley for decades. We used to visit back in the day when tastings were free and the tasting room was a simple, small space. Over the years wine tasting has become big business with most wineries charging between $25 and $75 per person per tasting. It adds up fast!

When you go wine tasting, you are looking to not only drink some wine, but to learn about wine. Depending on your knowledge level, the tasting host will either give you general beginner wine information, more detailed information about the wine, and progress onto the winemaker and specific processes of the wine you are drinking. In any event, the tasting host should be educating you about something having to do with wine or the winery.

On a recent visited the “Rutherford” area of Napa valley three wineries were visited. Sequoia Grove, Cakebread and Inglenook. Sequoia was the best. The tasting host was super nice and very informative. Once she realized we knew something about wine, she then proceeded to tell us about the winemaker and winery. Cost for tasting was $25 per person for current release.

Next stop was Cakebread. By far the least favorite and in my opinion, can skip this winery. It was a waste of both time and money. I had the $40 tasting of the reds. The issues I had were 1) The grounds are not grand compared to other Napa wineries, 2) The reds were “young” and therefor didn’t taste very good at all. This can sometimes be helped by offering tasters food (often cheese) or letting the wine air before tasting. This winery doesn’t do this so your tasting experience is bad. (Also, the tasting pour was the smallest of the three!) 3) The tasting host didn’t offer any insight to the wine, winery or wine maker. Instead he kept talking about Bourbon and stereo equipment. I couldn’t wait to leave.

Our last stop was Inglenook. I had the regular tasting costing $45 per person – but this comes with cheese/bread to help the tasting. The grounds and chateau of the winery are spectacular! Nice to visit even if you don’t do a tasting. The chateau has on the second floor movie memorabilia from Francis Ford Coppola (who purchased the winery decades ago). The wines were nice and having food to accompany the tasting helped the reds taste better. I was especially impressed with the Rubicon and I wasn’t surprised to see it sells for over $200 per bottle. The host was pleasant and provided education about the winery, wine maker etc…

1  Thank Peggy P
Reviewed 27 November 2017

Booked my reservation back in May of 2017 for a November trip. They not only had the booking (with no credit card, nor guarantee) but also had notes about my conversation with Linda.

There were 4 of us on the tour, but my father-in-law was not able to go on the tour with the rest of us. So what did they do - Lionel escorted him upstairs to a private room and gave him a private tasting while we went on the BEST tour of our entire trip. I'm sure it helped that the weather was beautiful too. But Yvonne did a fabulous job walking us around and explaining Cakebread. This place is nothing but CLASS, CLASS, CLASS!

On a scale of 1-5 they get a 10! Thank you Cakebread family. While other wineries are out hustling bottles of wine like used car salesman, you are creating customers for life.

2  Thank gillespyc
Reviewed 14 November 2017

My husband and I came to Napa with another couple and we all agreed we wish we went to a different winery instead of this one. In all fairness, I also think that the rainy weather hindered our experience here because we did not get to experience the grounds but the building isn't anything special either compared to other places.

The tasting was very disappointing. We felt rushed throughout the tasting, it was only about 20 minutes standing at a bar instead of the nice sit down experiences we had at other places. Staff was not very friendly. We did not enjoy any of the wines either. If we could go back in time, we would definitely take this place out of our itinerary.

2  Thank omalleyj20