California Museum of Photography
Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Interesting

Nice facility. Has contemporary art exhibits. Old cameras and photos. The collection has both art... read more

Reviewed 15 August 2018
J S
Palm Springs
A great history of photography on display

Don't expect this place to shine like it is the Smithsonian. The collection is mid-sized, but done... read more

Reviewed 3 August 2016
Huskerlaw
Riverside, California

All reviews downtown riverside interesting exhibits gallery camera photographs admission art collection
Reviewed 24 September 2015

Nice exhibit of old photographic stuff. It is a little small but I still find myself spending plenty time there.

1  Thank Tina10Travels
Reviewed 8 August 2015

This is a very nice place to visit and to see in a short period of time. There is a nice permanent collection and a wonderful collection of cameras which show the development of cameras from their start to the current digital models, but what I like most are the temporary collections which are changed often and reflect a wide range of photographic styles and artists point of view.
I visit this museum any time I am near it and am always pleased that I did.

Reviewed 1 July 2015

I haven't been here for years but glad I took the time to take a look. There are three floors and a basement and each has a different exhibit. The main floor has their rotating collection along with historic cameras. The mid level above is a small gallery. To me the show on display was contrived, an "emperors new cloths". The best was at the top, photographs from the WWII Japanese internment at Manzanar. Photos from Ansel Adams, Dorotea Lange and most remarkably, Photographer Toyo Miyatake who smuggled his lenses into the camp when he was imprisoned there during the war. I've seen his work at the Inyo County Museum years ago in Independence. Here he has received long-overdue recognition for his historic work.

Reviewed 13 June 2015

This museum is small. Considering that one of the four floors was empty and another was tiny it was still worth a visit.

I enjoyed the Manzanar exhibit. I have been to Manzanar and was aware of the history. The images displayed gave a glimpse of the everyday life and family strife caused by the relocation. I truly enjoyed the Ansel Adams prints and the narrative regarding his conflicted thoughts on Manzanar.

The museum also has a large display of cameras dating back more than a century.

There is a small fee, but it is waived for children and seniors.

Reviewed 9 June 2015

Lots of unique antique cameras as well as interesting rotating photography exhibits. Well worth an hour or two. On the mall in downtown Riverside and close to the Mission Inn.