“Annual Spring Break Vacation”

The Westin Mission Hills Villas
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego, California
“Annual Spring Break Vacation”
Reviewed 7 July 2012

The rooms were great and perfect for my family. The location is perfect! This was my first time at the Villas and I will never stay at any other location when I am in Rancho Mirage.
I'm a timeshare holder at Lawrence Welk PS so I am familiar with the area. The pools were great as well. Love the slide and jacuzzi. The only thing I would recommend is just making sure that towels are refreshed in the evening as I had to call to a couple times to get towels at about 7:00pm.

Amber at the front desk was very professional and helpful. Service Express answered the phone in a timely manner and very friendly. I also would like to recognize Angel from the Den kudos!! There were 6 of us and trying to order a late dinner was I’m sure tough for him. He was patient and friendly with us when we didn't know what to order. He suggested the Black Angus burger and it was just right!! I appreciate him and the conversation he genuinely had with us!!

We enjoyed our time so much;even if it was just relaxing at the pool or enjoying the golf course view. I will definitely bring my family back to this gorgeous, amazing resort.
Thank you for a relaxing coupld of days and we will be back hopefully sooner than later....

Estela Beton

Room Tip: One-Bedroom premium villa is great with your own barbecue on your patio
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Korean first
Minnesota
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We have stayed at the villas many, many times always happy in the past. We were happy to accept a room right next to the quiet pool, but unbeknown to us, this is no longer the quiet pool and we were not made aware of this change upon check in. this pool is open until midnight, imagine trying to get a nights rest when all you hear is screaming children. I am guessing most people on vacation are away to rest, not easy to get if you were staying anywhere near this pool.

The pool on many days was out of control, quite a number of children not accompanied by an adult or someone over 14 to supervise. If this is a choice that the Westiin has made to open this up to children, then the pool needs to be staffed sufficiently, not once did I see a staff member come check on anything.

Needless to say, on return trips we will request a room a distance from this pool.

I believe this was a very poor choice on the part of the Westin and I am quite surprised that the timeshare board agreed to this.

Room Tip: If you wish to have a quiet stay do not stay in building #47 or #48 because of the policy change to...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank welovethedesert
, Dir of Operations at The Westin Mission Hills Villas, responded to this review, 7 July 2012
Hello “welovethedesert” –
Thank you for all your loyalty and business over the years, we are glad that you have made us your desert dwelling. I am sorry to hear about your concerns with the way the East Pool is being operated. I have reviewed the need for more staff presence (servers to offer food & beverage, pool attendants to assist with towels, chairs, etc) to elevate the experience for our guests. I have also shared this posting with our security team and while the pool area (like all our pools) is open until 12 midnight, there is no need for one guest’s enjoyment of the pool to disrupt another guests sleep or quiet time in their villas.
While the East Pool is generally considered the quieter of our pool areas it isn’t designated as an adult only pool. We generally find that the majority of kids spend their time at the Paradise Pool where the volley ball nets, basketball hoop, water slide and activities are located.
Thank you again for the feedback. For those of our guests who are interested we do have an adult only pool on the hotel side (near building #5) that allows our guest & owners a kid free environment. If I can offer any other assistance please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.
Be Well and Travel Safe –
dave.williams01@westin.com
santa clarita, california
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We are vacation owners with Starwood/Westin and this is our home resort.
This is one of our favorite resorts...anywhere (and we have traveled the world).
The villas are clean and comtemporary...and love the heavenly bed.
I must commend Maria Kelly and the front desk. She is especially friendly and ALWAYS goes out of her way to accomodate us....even sent a yummy treat to the room to welcome us back!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Dir of Operations at The Westin Mission Hills Villas, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Sandyb b –

Thank you for your posting, good to have you staying at your home property when you are not travelling the globe. Appreciate all the positive feedback, in particular for Ms Maria Kelly. She is a superstar and was even nominated as a service representative by the Coachella Valley Visitors Bureau. We love sharing all feedback with our team, but these positive notes go a long way to elevating our culture.
Be well, safe travels and we look forward to your return.
dave.williams01@westin.com
California
Reviewed 16 June 2012

The good:
The location of the resort places it near a lot of attractions. There is an excellent children's museum nearby, and the Living Desert Museum is a 10 minute drive, which is also great for kids. If you're into shopping, the Riverwalk is just down the road, and high end shopping and dining just a bit further away at El Paseo. There is also a very nice golf course, designed by Pete Dye, right on the resort.

The resort definitely gives you that "desert feel". With the design of the buildings and the landscaping. There is a little creek and small pond running between a couple of the villas, which seem to be home to a large population of ducks and a couple of canadian geese, which the kids enjoy feeding.

The pool is really nice, and there is a great water-slide, again, a big hit with the kids. There's also a little kiddy pool for toddlers, separate from the main pool. There are some really great cabanas, with TVs, refrigerators, and lounge chairs. And the poolside service is pretty good. They have a couple of servers making sure you always have a frosty beverage in your hand, should you want one.

The rooms are decent in size, not overwhelming. Most rooms have their own BBQ. The bedrooms, and beds, are nice, and the bathrooms are large, with large walk-in showers and a huge jetted tub. There is a fully functional kitchen, so you can do your grocery shopping and eat in if you prefer. There's also a washer/dryer, so remember that when you pack....you don't have to bring as much with you.

The bad:
Although there are a lot of attractions nearby, you have to drive to any of them...now that's not inherently a bad thing, but just a heads-up: you can't really walk to anything (except the golf course).

I find myself getting a bit bored there after a couple of days. It's essentially a pool scene. Go to the pool during the day, go out to eat at night. I suppose I get tired of the pool pretty quickly. Take that with a grain of salt, b/c i can't just sit by a pool for more than a day. For some, i just described paradise.

Although there's a BBQ at every room, if you're on the ground floor (maybe this is true on 2nd floor as well, not sure) the BBQs are tucked under the patio cover, and are really close to the sliding glass door. So, don't leave your door open while you BBQ. The smoke gets trapped under the patio cover, goes into the room, and the fire alarm is right inside the sliding glass door.

The kitchen, although nice, with granite and all that, is pretty small. Maybe that's OK for some, b/c you'll barely use it. For us, with kids, we eat in a lot, and the cabinets just don't seem very functional (b/c they're so narrow) that they had to place kitchen utensils, pots and pans and so on in some odd places.

Parking - depending on where your room is, it can be difficult to find parking near your villa.

Overall, i really like this resort. Sure, i'm not a pool-scene guy, but sometimes it's nice to get away and just do nothing. I like golf too, so that's a plus, and as i mentioned earlier, there are a ton of things to do nearby, so if we do get tired of the pool, there's a lot to choose from.

If you're planning a trip to the Palm Springs area, I definitely recommend trying this place out.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the golf course....the best views are there. If you want a quieter location, c...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank oregonian1
Ontario, California
Reviewed 14 June 2012

My family and I stayed at the Westin because we had stayed there in the past. We used a timeshare exchange. We did not check in until Tuesday, and made certain they were aware. Upon check-in, everything was great. I used my debit card for the security deposit of $100, which I was told was a pre-authorization. The amenities were great, housekeeping and the pool were great. Upon checkout, the front desk clerk mention to me about a charge for dinner. My family and I never eat at the dining areas on property because we had a kitchen and there are always places to go try. Anyway, that was taken off but my $100 has not, even till this date. I called the resort and was told it should be 48-72 business hours before the removal. I check out on Sunday 06/03/12, and called 06/06/12. I still show it as a charge and not a pre-authorization. I have since notified my bank. It is unfortunate that I like this resort as do my kids, but I may never return because of this incident. It has been over 8 business days and nothing. Be aware.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Aaron S
Villas_Dave, Dir Of Operations at The Westin Mission Hills Villas, responded to this review, 16 June 2012
Aaron S–

I am very sorry to hear about the discrepancy with your billing and the authorization that is still pending on your account. While we respect the anonymity of TripAdvisor I am very eager to connect with you so that we can ensure we have partnered for resolution.
On the other hand I appreciate that even with this issue you still gave a rating of 4 out of 5, thank you very much. Good to hear that the housekeeping, amenities and pool were a great experience for you.
Aaron S, I really want to ensure we have done everything we can to help with the authorization that is still pending on your account, please contact me if there is anything with which I can assist, we want you to return to our property again!
Be Well –
5.6 km away
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
11.3 km away
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Mission Hills Villas? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK