“YUM!!”

Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 15
Good for: Business meetings
Good for: Business meetings
Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

Traveling to Lake Tahoe- what a wonderful unassuming place! Don’t be fooled by the exterior! Everything was so yummy! Wish we lived closer!

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 9 November 2017

What a great little find. Not super pretty from the outside but the owners are super nice and the food was fantastic. Great view from the deck.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 21 October 2017

I've eaten at Shilla several times and it became my "sushi" stop on my return from fishing trips in the Sierra, but today may have changed that. It's been a while since I last ate here, and I'm hoping that today might be just an anomaly. My wife ordered a chicken Teriyaki Bento Box. I ordered the tempera calamari appetizer, miso soup, and a dragon roll. Both our miso soups were tepid and flavorless. My wife put soy sauce in hers to give it some flavor. The tempura calamari was "okay", but a few pieces were a little chewy, and the calamari and the sauce served with it were relatively flavorless. My wife's bento box was also okay, but not impressive. I had a piece of tuna sashimi from the box, and had to chew it a bit. The cut of the grain of the fish seemed wrong. I've never had chewy sashimi. My wife agreed. My dragon roll was poor. The portion (diameter) was small for the price, and the tempura shrimp inside was small and thin. It was hard to tell it was shrimp since the tails were not left on as is usually the case. The crab mix inside couldn't be tasted. Worse, I really couldn't find anything that I could identify as unagi on the roll. This typically adds lots of flavor. Not today. Again, flavorless.

Service was also and issue, not terrible, but not what I've come to expect. This shouldn't have been an issue since we were early birds and the place wasn't even close to full (late on a Friday afternoon). They didn't seem all that enthused to have us in the restaurant. At one point I was asking the older Japanese lady what the difference was between the dragon roll and the golden dragon roll on the specials board. She didn't know (and she's worked there a while) and couldn't seem to get it clarified. I was also given a dirty spoon for the miso soup, and the place seemed a little grungier than I remembered......a plastic sushi/sashimi identifier on the table was coated with sticky food finger prints that looked like it had not been cleaned in months.

I may seem to nit picking, but when the food is off you start to notice other things as well. Everything seemed to be off today at Shila, and it felt like people here were just coasting on past laurels. I hope not, but after today I might not be back to find out.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

Fun fun fun. Great sushi too. Try the saki it's fruit infused. Had the rolls and fresh chilled seaweed. Fun family times here. Nice big deck out back for summer. Owners are really nice attentive people.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed 27 January 2017

Surprising, I know, this far from the 'big city,' but it's really fantastic sushi! Of course, all the Korean and Japanese dishes are out of this world, too! So don't skip this place if you don't care for sushi, you will be very glad you ate here.

Date of visit: January 2017