“Hard to beat the location in Pismo...we would have no problems coming here again”
Review of Sea Garden Motel

Sea Garden Motel
Ranked #29 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Ask yourself this: Are you willing to pay a premium (at least twice as much) for a new or newly remodeled hotel in Pismo Beach? Then don't stay here. Is it your honeymoon (as sadly a couple indicated in another review)? Then splurge and go elsewhere. Would it bother you to open your kitchen curtains and see the neighbor's untidy back yard and the motel's rickety back porch that for safety reasons they have boarded up access to? Probably not the place for you. However...are you planning to spend most of your time outside of your room anyway? Are you there for the amazingly close proximity of Pismo Beach, the pier and downtown? Are your requirements simple, like a clean room with clean towels and bedding, and friendly and helpful management ? Then don't worry...I was pleasantly surprised after reading earlier reviews when we walked into our room. (We reserved the 2 bedroom suite which has a kitchen - upstairs #19 - three double beds total) Anyway, I hear they have changed management since last year which is a good thing- They were certainly nice to us; we asked about directions to the "Great American Melodrama" (a must-see live show in nearby Oceana recommended by Sunset Magazine and only about 20 bucks a ticket), also asked where good breakfast places were, etc., and they were always always cheerful and full of information. So how do you rate a motel anyway? I told the manager that they did not deserve the low rating that was given them. Are people comparing this place to the Marriot, or the Holiday Inn? If so - I can understand the low rating. But I think of it as an aging motel (it really is) that is in such a great location that as long as it is clean and safe (seems to ba a very safe neighborhood), I will for sure come back again, based on the price too. I do have to admit that in the morning when people with kids were up before we were, we could hear them running on our front walkway and it was annoying. But that happens at some of the better places I've stayed at too... Anyway, I think the rating system is so subjective, that a one star should be a flea infested, dirty sheeted, hooker frequented unsafe facility, whereas a 5 star should be a Hilton (or whatever - you get the idea). Everything else in between is well - in between! So, bottom line: A place to impress a friend? No. A girlfriend getaway retreat? Probably not. (disclaimer: unless they are there for location and not so interested in frills). For famlly and friends to have a base for all that Pismo has to offer? Sure - the "stuffy" ones can stay somewhere else. This motel has certainly seen better days, and could they spend some bucks to renovate. But there was no mold whatsoever in our shower as an earlier reviewer pointed out, and for travelers who are looking for a clean room to crash in...this fits the bill.

Room Tip: Only know about room 19. It has a kitchen. No plates, utensils, pots, anything. We didn't need...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kayceelouise

Reviewed 8 July 2011

January 1st me and my friends were lookin for a close place by the dunes to stay. Found this hotel, price was $70 so figured it would be a nice place....so we got our 2 bed room, walked in and me and my friends started laughing, very very small room, mold on the walls fridge and microwave in the bathroom next to the toilet...had a horrid smell! My cousin actually had to get a car freshener to put in the room, 5 min in, we decided we couldn't sleep in that room, no locks on windows, covers on beds were filthy....went back, complained, he gave us a new room upstairs....walked in and it was worst then the last one, had a gated up kitchen, couldn't go in, shower was disgusting and water damage thru out the room, it got cold so we turned on the heater....heater didn't work. Once again went downstairs and told him the heater wasn't working so he said he would fix it! About 3 minutes later, he comes up with a space heater, plugs it in and says "there you go" after he left, we packed our stuff, all went downstairs and said we would like our money back, it wasn't even close to being good for what we paid for, argued back and forth and he started to yell saying he's never had complaints, his son walked in, using foul language and after 10 minutes of arguing, we got half our money back, I'm surprised the health department hasn't shut them down!!! Worst place, two thumbs wayy down, if u want to keep Ur health! Don't go there

• Stayed: January 2011
3  Thank MedalMulishaRider
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I spent a night at this motel beginning of June and it was in good condition. Motel is under new management and I would definitely stay here again. Location is great, only foot steps to the beach.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lovemore2
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I would not wish a night in this place upon my worst enemy. Needless to say based on other reviews, this place is a cheap dirty dump I would have never stayed at if it wasn't 11 at night and every other place was full.

Pros:
It was a place to sleep and take a crap.

Cons:
I have a feeling they don't properly clean this place. When I was leaving, I saw the maid going into rooms with just a spray bottle and a roll of paper towels, then leaving less than a minute later. I think she just made the beds without even changing the sheets.
The TV in our room was missing most of its buttons and held together with a good amount of duct tape.
It was way overpriced, even after we haggled the owner down.
We were given these little round pieces of soap that combined only accounted for like a quarter of those thin bars hotels normally give you, and I am still suspicious of what exactly they were made out of...
There use to be a door next to the toilet that led out to a balcony, but the balcony was so rotted it was just about ready to collapse and the door was boarded up.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture. Honestly, just avoid the whole Pismo Beach area. It's really just a crummy place to be, unless you get into a nice hotel or like trailer parks.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank w3e4
Reviewed 14 June 2005

I stayed here with my husband 5 years ago as part of our honeymoon road trip from Vancouver to Mexico and let me tell you, I never ever want to go back to Pismo Beach again just because of our horrible experience there. First off, we checked in late at night and just needed a place to sleep and this was the only place with any rooms left (we should've taken that as a sign). The owners were super-friendly at first trying to sell us their "jacuzzi room" for almost $200 (!) We opted for a standard room and found that it was located right behind this huge dumpster. Room was very prison-like - small, sad with creepy bathroom. Since we were exhausted, we just showered and went directly to bed. An hour later, we were woken up by kids watching tv and drinking in the room next to us. They weren't particularly loud, it was just that the walls were paper thin! I could even "smell" what the kids were smoking! When we complained to the owner, he got all defensive and pissed off that we woke him up. He wouldn't attend to us and told us good luck in getting Visa to refund my money, all this while swearing at us in his native language. What a jerk. Needless to say, we left at 5am feeling very pissed off and cheated. I hope that motel/hotel closes down for good. Please tell everyone to stay away from that place!

• Stayed: May 2000