All reviews fish lake camping drive store weekend bike campfire picnic restrooms trail retreat
Reviewed 29 August 2017

Travelling with my 14 yo son, we spent a week camping at Pinecrest. It's a long drag from San Francisco. On the way up you should stop in any of the big towns you are travelling through to pick up the basics, as there is just a general store on site, and you'll get nailed on the price for anything you have forgotten.

The camping pitches are big and well spaced apart. Each pitch has a firepit and grill you can cook over (don't forget to pick up firewood on your drive up!). The are toilet blocks spaced evenly throughout the campsite, and a shower block near the store. On our visit it was $5 for a 12 minute shower.

The lake is beautiful, but pretty cold. Too cold for me anyway. We hiked around the lake in a brisk 2 hours, but those with kids would take longer. Its a little tricky in places.

No cell phone coverage at all, but we did hitch off the wifi at the office a few times.

This was our first US camping experience and all in all pretty enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2017

Its been a year since our last stay (3 stars) and the condition of the property needs attention. There have been no improvements over the past year and in fact, we will most likely not return. The rooms are old, outdated and dirty. We only got one clean bath towel for two people to share and the bathroom was disgusting. If you want Wifi its $11 per day and as slow as the old dial up we all hated Try the Strawberry Inn.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank SanDiego_CaHelmuth
Reviewed 5 April 2017 via mobile

Stayed at Pinecrest Lake Resort 2bedroom townhouse only a couple of miles from Dodgeridge ski resort. Kitchen stocked with cookware and coffee pot. Towels and linen provided. Only drawback is 1 bathroom in townhouse. There is no cancellation policy within 30-day of stay.

Was hoping to enjoy the lake which is right across from resort but turns out the lake was drained this time of the year and will gradually fill up as summer approaches.
Otherwise great stay for price and convenience to ski resort.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2017

This was the worst stay I have had in the United States. Let me start off by saying that I expected this place to be rustic. I selected it given it is close to Dodge Ridge Ski Resort. When we arrived, we quickly got our keys and went to get our ski equipment. When we returned an hour later, at 4pm, there was no power. The people at the front desk said that we would not have power until the next day and it was "not their problem" there was a storm. This is the mountains- there is no way to even see the path to our cabin without lights. We asked if we could check out and she said yes but would not give a refund. We found a restaurant with power (via generator) and the other patrons we met from surrounding smaller hotels had power via generators. We were not given anything - no candles, not a note, nothing. I asked if the staff would stay to make sure we were ok or if we needed to check out early and was told that they were leaving at 6 and I could call if we needed anything. Might be good to mention there was NO PHONE in the unit, and cell phones (AT&T and Verizon) did not work up there.

The power returned 7 hours later. But the issues continued. Other issues:
- the heater bangs loudly throughout the night. It is in the hall and not in the rooms so all doors have to be kept open to be heated so the noise is unavoidable.
- the refrigerator is old and loud. Again, you can hear this in every room all night.
- nothing other than thin bars of soap are provided, even if you stay for over a week.
- no washer and dryer within MILES. You can rent for a week, but apparently have to go to Miwuk Village to do laundry (10 minutes away by car).
- Hot water lasted 5 minutes and did not warm up for hours. Therefore only two of us could shower per morning or night.
- No housekeeping. They literally told us to strip the beds and do our own dishes. For $259 a night, that seems crazy.
- No Wifi. It is $11 per day per person (cannot use for multiple devices). It is spotty.
- No DVR. TV is a computer monitor. No movies or way to watch them.

If this were $99 a day I would think that might be more reasonable, but at $259 this was so overpriced. I might add the stay was made worse by the HORRIBLE manager, Laurie Cashman. When I asked if we could check out earlier given the issues, she berated and yelled at me and was the most unprofessional of any person I have ever met in hospitality. She lied to me about the power being off for only a few hours and said she had someone check on each cabin and provide kerosene lamps. When I told her no one even left us a note, let alone lamps or offering us other accommodations, she called me a liar. It is worth mentioning the entire staff was gone by 5:30 - the store, and restaurant were closed too. We were literally left there all alone and they were not concerned. Please avoid this at all costs, specifically if you have children. It is a dirty place and the people working there made it so much worse.

Room Tip: Cabins were awful. Maybe hotel rooms are nicer?
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
8  Thank berkeleytravellermom
Reviewed 22 January 2017

Review is for the town home. It has a fire place. The kitchen was big and has a refrigerator, a microwave, an oven, a dishwasher, and a toaster. The hotel is near the lake. If you are going skiing at dodge ridge it is 10 minutes away. The town home is very big. There were two bedrooms one with a queen bed and another room with two twin beds. You need to pay for the internet but it was flaky.

Room Tip: Town homes
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family