All reviewspony barclub barwood burningsmall hotelwonderful boutique hotelwine tastinginner courtyarddark chocolatemultiple fireplaceslovely courtyardluxury roomwithin walking distancewindow seatcoffee cakecontinental breakfasttown squareoutdoor fire
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Who would think you could find a bit of European flavor in Paso Robles. This small Inn has old world charm galore. Yes it all comes with a price tag, but not out of scale with most of the B&B properties in the wine country surrounding Paso. But this place is right in town and convenient for walking to all the nearby restaurants, wine tasting bars, etc. so you can indulge and not have to worry about driving. The staff are very accomodating with reservations, helpful hints, and anything else you need. In the evening the courtyard is warmed by real wood fireplaces with cozy benches to sit and enjoy a nightcap and conversation. A staff member even comes around and offers to make smores for you if you would like ( I would not like but the offer was appreciated and some people did took him up on the gooey offering). The lobby is gorgeous and warmed by a fireplace as well. In fact each room has a gas fireplace as does the outdoor bar seating area. The effect of all the fires is magical on a cool evening. This is a place you will remember.

Room Tip: A couple of rooms are near a generator located in the garage parking area. The hum does carry into those rooms so if you are a light sleeper avoid those two rooms
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We have read several reviews. Let me be clear. Yes the hotel is pricey. We paid on average 400$ per night. But, if you can afford it, it is worth it. If you are stretching your budget stay somewhere else and do not complain.

We stayed in "Firetail" in the courtyard immediately next to the large fireplace. It was fabulous. Because it was Feb, the evenings were chilly. But Maureen was amazing and kept us comfortable all night. She brought us blankets for by the fire and arranged dinner ordered in.

The hotel is surrounded by 14 wine tasting rooms and at least 6 or more great restaurants within a couple of blocks. We have stayed in Napa and this is generally not as pretentious and offers more choice close by with no need to drive. Napa Valley does have more restaurants but driving is required.

We hired a driver thru Destination Drivers and they were great. Our driver was Dana and he was great.

Room Tip: Firetail was great but there are a couple of rooms across the courtyard with their own terrace.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank luv2truv3l
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Hotel cheval was really great. Recently we stayed for two nights and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the rooms. Yes, location is great due to the walking distance to most of the restaurants in Paso. However, originally I was skeptical of the quality of the rooms for the price I spent. $290+ a night for a room on any budget is nothing to sneeze at. But I must say the cleanliness, size and amenities really showed the value. The staff overall was extremely friendly, and for that amount per night it was expected. The only hiccup we encountered was they rotated so many different front desk staff in just our short 2 day stay that it felt a little less intimate. 3 of the 4 attendants on duty were very pleasant and friendly, however one seemed a bit off put by our request to be dropped off somewhere close in town. I guess we had misjudged just how close our destination was the hotel and they might have scoffed at the notion we could not have just walked. No big deal though. It certainly did onto ruin any overall experience we had. Second minor drawback was where our room was located. While beautiful and spacious it was unfortunately located right below a staircase leading to the second level rooms. This lent to intermittent banging and stomping early in the morning and a few instances during the evening. Again, not a major concern seeing as how 95% of the remaining stay you could hear a pin drop. I found it very helpful they provided a wine shipping service as well after buying several bottles during our wine tastings and vineyard tours I was able to fill out a pamphlet and leave all my wine at the front desk for them to ship to me (for a a fair fee of course). Nice touch. Overall, it seems that the Staff was more than willing to accommodate most requests from other guests as well. One evening I believe some guests ordered food from a nice restaurant in town and had it picked up and delivered by a member of the staff. Very cool. The courtyard is great as well. Our time there it was very quite and peacefull. One of the attendants was accommodating and offered on a few occasions to stoke the outside fireplace to keep it warm for us. Stay at hotel cheval for the location and service. It seems like most hotels in the are worth staying at are not that much less expensive than here so I feel it was worth it to spend an extra $50-$100 per night for the amenities and personal attention.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank HKaidms
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Who says there are not great places to stay in Paso Robles. I found this place while visiting the Paso wine area. This is the nicest most upscale place in downtown paso Robles. It's one block to town square and great restaurants. I definately will return to hotel cheval.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 7 February 2012

After spending 4 days at Hotel Cheval in Paso Robles, I was shocked to see it was not the top-rated hotel in Paso Robles on tripadvisor. It is far superior to any other property in the area in so many ways. First, it is not a chain property. Second, it is in the center of town, walkable to every great restaurant and a dozen tasting rooms. It is small, beautiful, comfortable. Not only does each room have a fireplace, there are 2 outdoor fireplaces that are lit and welcoming every evening. The bar is small and intimate; the breakfast is great. The staff is helpful, interesting, well- informed. I cannot say how pleased we were with all aspects of our stay at this fine hotel. It seems clear that much love and dedication goes into the running of this lovely place. And if all this isn't enough, they cater to dogs!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple