“By far one of the best steakhouses I’ve been too”

Alexander's Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Alexander's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 752 Restaurants in Pasadena
Price range: US$ 50 - US$ 100
Description: Alexander’s Steakhouse is a fine dining interpretation of the classic American steakhouse with hints of Japanese influence laced into the menu. Located in Pasadena, California, Alexander’s Steakhouse is a welcome addition to the Southern California dining scene.
Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

Omg I haven't been back here in a while and boy is this place good.

I think it's one of my favorite steakhouses!

Everything is 5 stars.
Food, ambiance, staff, drinks, everything.

I came here a random boozy night with my bestie and we sat at the bar. Plenty of space not crowded at all.
I ended up order a steak and a bottle of wine x 2 lol.
This place is very pricey but think of it as a mastros.
I actually think this place is by far better than mastros.

My steak was perfectly cooked and omg my mouth is watering as I remember.
We got the Mac n cheese which was pretty good. Not over cooked. Some places even fancy ones tend to overcool the cheese or milk and it gets all chunky weird. Lol

The wine, well I picked a good bottle.

I would defiantly recommend this place and come back here again.
Remember it's $$$$$$$
Two person dinner will be at least $200

I literally didn’t even take picture like I usually do because we were devouring the food lol

Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

Alexander’s

Was actually disappointed. The evening started out with a surprise when we learned that they have decided to limit what alcohol to carry and have limited their vodka to 4 brands and most likely your favorite isn’t among them!

Their version of the wedge salad was totally awful. To start with it was sweet and although they said it has blue cheese... it didn’t. There was some kind of s pallet/cleanse thing that was so tiny it was a joke. Probably 1/4 ounce of something but I honestly don’t know what. Dinner was meat on a plate like many places and the veggies are separate. The issue I have is that they use an ice cream size dish for their “table size” portions. If they do that, they may as well just put the veggies on the plate instead of making a very small portion a la carte. I guess they think people don’t like vegetables anyway why provide a “ normal” portion. Well... they are wrong! My husbands steak came cold ( service was extremely slow- no one asked about a second cocktail or even more water). No sense in looking for our waiter that would have been another 20 minutes. My steak, filet was actually good. Glad I didn’t try the New York like my husband because besides being cold it wasn’t very good.

Dessert was blah. Save your calories you won’t be disappointed. The chocolate dessert was a final punctuation on a lousy dinner. Only good news is that we had to try it... once was enough. Not going back.

Reviewed 20 April 2018 via mobile

Delicious steak! The porterhouse to share was amazing. We share amongst six people and also got the New York strip (not bad but the other two were better) and the hanger steak which was pretty delicious and flavorful with the chimichurri. The amuse bouche, bread and palette cleanser before dessert were really good. The soufflé was really unique with the crumbs and key lime flavor that makes it more refreshing. Overall, it was a great dining experience!

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Once again, Alexander's did NOT disappoint, and this was an "unlucky" night for my favorite entree, the Prime Rib For starters, I've always found these high end restaurants to sell more of an experience than a meal, so I find great difficulty in calling the waitstaff waiters or servers. I find every employee to be knowledgeable in what they are offering guests with such great attention to detail, I would prefer to call them stewards of their culinary art. Immediately after placing our dinner order, we were offered gifts from the kitchen, in preparation for the Uni toast - a pork shoulder on a thick toasted brioche. The beef tartare is perfectly seasoned, and topped with a creamy daikon cap. Served with freshly fried potato chips, the stewardess who delivered them called it their commitment to meat and potatoes - An AMERICAN meal. The whole gamut of the second course was ordered, however I chose the iceberg, a salad with a sesame bleu cheese dressing and candied bacon. Unfortunately for this evening, the only remaining slice of prime rib was the end cut, and far lower in weight than the smallest available cut. Having been warned, I took it, in spite of it being everything I did NOT want in a slice of prime rib. What arrived left me pleasantly surprised. THere was still enough pink, and the meat was extremely tender. The steward who hosted our table knocked my entree off the bill, due to the two times he had to come back with unfortunate news. This act speaks wonders about the restaurant and the steward alike. It was proof positive and a clear statement to me that they were standing by their menu items, and anything less of what they promised was not acceptable to offer. I fully understand that a business has to make money, so I am perfectly okay with a simple apology, but this act went beyond the expectations I felt COMPELLED to write a positive review, and attempt to encourage fellow diners to visit this establishment.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

My husband made a reservation here for our Anniversary dinner and I was looking forward to having a nice relaxing dinner. We were warmly greeted and led to a great big booth in a good location in the main dining room. They gave us menus to peruse, interestingly the drink menu is more detailed and informative than the food menu, which could have use a bit more explanation of the dishes for the average person. We ordered a bottle of Champagne and tried to relax over the sound of a squealing of a small child across the room. Fortunately the couple was almost done eating so we did not have to hear it all night. They brought out a tasty Amuse Bouche followed with some excellent bread and house made butter. Our first choice of meat was not available, so we took a suggestion from our waiter for the 18 oz. bone in New York with a side of Béarnaise sauce. We shared an interesting Watercress/Frisee salad that is a tad spicy, we thought is was quite good. About this time a large group of six adults with two young boys were seated at the table next to us. The men were dressed like slobs and loud. Our steak came we had ordered it ordered it Rare Plus, which it was, but it was so cold the chive butter on top was still solid. We mentioned it to our waiter, who went to the kitchen where he was given the excuse that they had to put it on the shelf while our potatoes were prepared which take longer. We order out steaks like this all the time and have never had a cold one, the extra step of heating the plates that most places do, would have helped. The Béarnaise sauce was more like whipped butter and had no flavor, we asked our waiter about this and he said that they recently changed the recipe and would take it off the check. (The sauces are extra) We only ate a bit of the meat because it was too cold and the marbling had turned to hard grease, they did not offer to warm it up. To their credit they brought us a couple of little sweets and comped us a soufflé for dessert. About this time the kids at the adjoining table have eaten and are bored. One brat was running around making the long suffering servers have to dodge and weave around him to do their job. He then started pounding on the back of his oblivious mother's chair. When he did not get any response he ran our way, did a belly flop on my side of the booth and tried to grab my coat. I yelled at him to go sit down. His indignant father says "He's just a kid" to which I reply "In an adult restaurant" the father then unleashing a string of obscenities at us, and offers to fight my husband outside. By this time we were finished, and fled. This restaurant is VERY expensive, which is OK if you have a perfect dining experience. They really need to rethink catering to families if they are attempting to be high end, and a dress code might help keep out riff-raff even if they can afford to eat there. The quality of the ingredients is very high, the décor beautiful and understated, the servers are elegant and trying hard but they missed the mark last night. You would be better off at Arroyo Chop House in Pasadena or The Dal Rae in Pico Rivera.

Been to Alexander's Steakhouse? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK