“Decent Old Town Motel”

GreenTree Pasadena Inn
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
Reviewed 6 October 2017

This is a modest, renovated motel near Old Town Pasadena with free parking and just down from the Del Mar metro station. The rooms are simple and clean. Some, on the south side, are still being renovated. My room included a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. There's a big Whole Foods store just down the street. When I arrived, the TV had not been properly tuned up. But I was able to take care of that by myself. But you might find that there is some noise from the passing metro trains. It is particularly audible later at night when the ambient street sounds are more muted. But unless you are a very light sleeper, this shouldn't be an issue. You'll find a Thai restaurant on one side of the motel and a small bake shop on the other. All of the Old Town shops and eateries are walkable and the rail to Union Station L.A. takes less than 30 minutes. Cal Tech and PCC are just down the road a bit. Parking at the motel is free, but gets tight on busy weekends. The grab and go type breakfast wasn't very appetizing to me. Maybe skip it and dine somewhere along Green or Colorado.

Room Tip: Stay on the 2nd or 3rd floors to stay up from the parking.
Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Albert R, General Manager at GreenTree Pasadena Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for responding on Trip Advisor. In regrads to our breakfast, we are in the process of building our kitchen so we can provide hot items to our guests.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

When we checked into the room it had a bad industrial chemical smell. I returned to the front desk and asked for another room but was told they were sold out. I asked that they do something to remove the smell and they said all they could do was tell the manager in the morning. When I pressed they gave me a bottle of air freshener which was totally ineffective. We tried to air out the room by first opening the door and window for a couple of hours without success. We then tried to run the air conditioner which also didn't work. I might add that the air conditioner was very noisy, the bedspread had a quite prominent stain on it and the thermostat was hanging from the walls by the wires.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for responding on Trip Advisor. I apologize that you did not like the brand new furniture smell in our renovated room. In regards to the A/C, It is a brand new unit.

Reviewed 27 September 2017

Stayed here a few months back in an older room up on the 3rd floor PRIOR to the renovation. Had a decent enough experience to say that I'd stay again...Stayed again and was given an updated room. 2nd floor on the north side. Room was odd shape for a hotel and VERY Small. New upgrades were cheap and honestly the older room was nicer. WiFi reception was weak. Asked about room size and was told they are all about the same...I get that. I stay in a hotel room 4-6 nights per month, I pay from $119 - $225 a night. for this place Green Tree Inn, I paid $133 all in was a bit high for what is out there. I stayed last week at the Westin for $169 ALL in per night.

Although i appreciate smaller properties outside corridors etc. trying to upgrade, if you replace the carpet with flooring like tile or sheet vinyl, be sure to have your housekeeping staff run a mop after each guest. In the morning i walked to the desk, worked, walked to the restroom, normal activity, packed my stuff then made my way to the shower...my feet picked up so much dirt it created mud in the shower. GAG.

Room Tip: upgraded rooms are not that great.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Albert R, General Manager at GreenTree Pasadena Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experince on Trip Advisor. I apologize that we did not meet and exceed your expectations, however, your feedback enable us to improve our product and service to our guests.

Reviewed 22 September 2017

We chose to stay at the GreenTree Inn while in Pasadena for an event at the Rose Bowl. As of this writing, the hotel is undergoing a refresh of many rooms. Having stayed in one of the refurbished rooms, I can say with confidence that you'll be happy with the new room. It's nothing fancy, mind you, but fresh, clean and functional. The location is convenient to Old Town Pasadena, and is across the street from a new Whole Foods, the Del Mar light rail station, and Congregation Ale House. An excellent value.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2017

Love the GreenTree!! Super close to the Humane Society, whole foods, and Trader Joe's. Staff are really friendly. It's under construction and gets better at each stay. I always have a pleasant stay and a great nights sleep.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel