“Excellent front desk service, good location for Pasadena area”

The Westin Pasadena
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego, California
“Excellent front desk service, good location for Pasadena area”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed here recently for one night, and the front-desk service was great. We also got a free upgrade to their Starwood member level without us asking (I'm not sure what the difference is to other rooms/floors, but the room was nicely appointed and had a great view of City Hall and the mountains). Only (minor) complaint is that we asked for a crib on the reservation and a fridge at check-in, and did not end up getting either. It was unclear at check-in whether they had any left, but if it turned out one wasn't going to be available, I think the staff should have let us know by voicemail or note in the room, because when we got back to our room late that evening and saw that neither was there, we were too tired to go ask about it. But again, this was minor against the overall experience. In person, the staff was always very courteous and friendly, and we enjoyed the stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of City Hall - very pretty.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Biz-FunTraveler
Timothy L, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Thank you for your review. I apoplogize that we did ot fulfill your request for a crib and refrigerator. I know how important it is to have the right "equipment" when you are traveling with your family.

I appreciate your business and your loyalty. Our SPG travelers are extremely important to us and the measure of our success.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Fort Myers
Reviewed 23 April 2012

There are several people that I feel to be recognized. I have been staying here for a couple of months. Lounge area: Kellie, John, Jessie, Immee(?), Lauren, and Nicole are great. Bell desk: Bob, Erwin, David, Oscar, Andrew, Mark, and Weldon, they are so courteous and helpful. Front desk: This staff is great and always remember your name and what you want in your room, Kahari, Hank, Chris, Raj, Eric, Timeshare, Ellizabeth, and Dale. These people are the reason I keep coming back here week to stay. Shane has also been very courteous and great attitude with guests and staff.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Thank for recognizing some of our best Westin performers. We have a number of great associates and I appreciate you taking the time to acknolwedge them by name. Thanks for your business and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Westin.
Minnesota
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed at the Westin Pasadena during a professional conference in March. Event attendees were scattered about between several hotels near the Pasadena Convention Center. I chose the Westin based on reviews that I found here on Tripadvisor. I wasn't disappointed.

Of the four options provided to the conference goer, the Westin Pasadena was far and away the nicest. The staff is attentive and helpful.

I was particularly impressed with the caliber of the conierge and courtesy van staff. The van is clean and looks brand new. The night of my arrival it was raining. I asked how far to the restaurant area (because I was hungary for a steak)? Andrew, the driver aske me if I would like an Argentinean steak and I said of course! He knew the manager, called, got me a table, dropped me off at the front door and picked me up when I had finished my meal.

The rooms are clean and spaceous and the hotel has a pleasant openess about it. The photo you see of the hotel on TripAdvisor is of the view of their "Plaza de Fuentes". Also on the property is McCormick & Schmick's as well as the California Pizza Kitchen. It's a short walk to the shopping center or if you like, the courtesy van will drive you...

I would definately go back the the Westin Pasadena.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thanks for your kind words and I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Westin Pasadena on your next visit.
Carlsbad, CA
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We reserved a king bed, deluxe bath(with bathtub) room. When we arrived, about 5pm, they gave us a handicapped room with sit down shower and two double beds. When we saw the room type we immediately called the desk and they THEN told us they had no room type available like we had booked earlier in the day! We called back in a few minutes and tried again. No luck. Our romantic getaway night was going to spend in double beds!
We were stranded, as it was a busy day in Pasadena and there was no hope that we could find another hotel, and we sure were not going to turn around and drive 3 hours back home.
So, we assumed they would make a fair adjustment to our bill for this.
Guess again.
They gave us the runaround, three different managers we needed to talk to, the last two took their sweet time (2 days after we had left) to call me back...oops, too big a decision for them, either....we needed to talk to an even higher manager who would call....three days later, never did....never will.
We have disputed the charge with VISA.

As to the hotel, it's good, not great. You can see that they are struggling(the huge Conference center part of it seems like a ghost town).
The repairs in the bathroom, caulking, looked like it was done by a blind
5 year old....just schmeared on by hand or something! When I asked for a refrig...oops, all out, we will bring you an ice chest. 2 hours later, they did, of course, no ice in it, and I had to go find the ice room and fill it.

The Valet parking was good and those people were very nice and friendly. The overall room was OK. Noisy walls though!
If you are looking for good service, don't expect to have your expectations met. Might as well be a Motel 6 in that regard....

Room Tip: Some rooms on lower level had doors that open up to an outer patio, good for fresh air, not so good...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zebraspot
I am sorry that you had such a bad experience when you stayed with us. That is certainly not how I wish for our guest to be treated while staying with us. I trust that you know that we can do better than this and will give us another opportunity. Thanks, Tim.
Los Angeles
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Horrible! How this hotel got a 4 star rating I'm not sure....maybe people in that area are used to poor service and dirty rooms and this might seem like a step up from the other hotels? I'm not sure how it EVER passed for a 4 star hotel. I would rate it a 2 star at best. When we walked in, there was a mess of construction. Parking wasn't available unless you used the valet service, and the hotel clerk never looked up from the counter. We had to greet HIM, and walk him through his job. The room looked okay upon entrance, but then we see there are lumps in the bed, there's only one washrag and two towels for a reservation for 3 people. The remote control didn't work, and the floor hadn't been vacuumed in days. When we left our room the next morning the maid in the hall asked which room we were in. We erroneously thought she was asking so she could get our room done quickly. Actually, she must have wanted to make sure she hit up our room first to see what was there. My suitcase had been messed with!!!! We always pile up our towels and make our beds, but we weren't able to make these up because they were so poorly made and lumpy when we got there, so we though we'd let her make up the room. We went on our way leaving our usual tip of $5.00 just to change out towels. When we came back, AGAIN, the bed was lumpy with the cover just barely pulled up over the sheets and two towels. As we left the hotel for good (wasn't quick enough for me) that SAME maid almost hit our car on the way out of the parking lot. She must have been late for work....HORRIBLE stay. Would NEVER stay at a Westin again based on this hotel. ICK! Don't Do It!!!! You will REGRET IT!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Daniel S
Timothy L, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
I am sorry that your experience at our hotel was "horrible". When first reading your remarks, I tried very hard not to be insulted as your experience does not coincide with any of our other guest's remarks. I realize that it was a bit uncomfortable during our recent project to refresh our reception area, but "horrible" is a bit strong. I would have welcomed the opportunity to turn your stay around while you ere here, but this was the first that I learned of your experience.

My sincerest apologies. Really. I only hope that you will chose to stay with Westin again when you travel. Our core brand value is to ensure that you are welcomed during your stay and that you are refreshed and renewed when you leave us.

My best regards, Tim.