“Things don't work and I'm not sure the staff cares”

Crowne Plaza Palo Alto
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We've stayed here twice in the last couple of years and both times the ice machines have been broken. Not just the one by our room, but all over the hotel. I've had to go to the front desk to get ice. This time the toilet didn't flush, made crazy noises all night and yet the front desk in the morning said "thanks for bringing that to our attention.". The beds are comfortable, but the refrigerator is noisy and the furniture looks like it came from the 70s. These are the kind of things I've never experienced in a Holiday Inn Express. Why should they be happening in a Crowne Plaza. I won't go back.

And another thing, If you go to a conference the parking is free. But you pay $10 if you're a "guest".

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Sonoraguy
IHGCare, Guest Relations IHGCare at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Dear Sonoraguy,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.
I want to assure you that we are very proud of our level of service, Cleanliness and quality of our hotel. I am sorry to hear we fell below your expectations when you stayed. I do hope you give us another chance for a future stay to show you how great we really are.

Thanks again,

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 14 February 2012

Overall the hotel was better than I expected, however, the cracks in the ceiling of my room would suggest it either wasn't part of the recent refurbishment mentioned on one of the other reviews, or simply that it was just a shoddy job.
The rest of the bad first - I badly scratched my knee on my first morning on the desk in the room - the handles are very sharp, and I was given a band-aid and an alcohol wipe, and nothing else. The fridge in the room wasn't working and there was no mini-bar or safe. I also have no idea why, but for some reason the hotel thinks it's a good idea to play music 24/7 which projects out from the lobby and across the grounds. The first night, I thought I was going mad when I was woken every 2 hours by various songs, the second night I asked them to turn it down which made my night a lot more pleasant but by the end of the week, I was again calling at 2am making the same request.

My rate also clearly stated that parking was included yet at checkout, I was made to feel like the woman was doing me a favour by taking it off my bill - that aside, what sort of a hotel charges $10 for parking on their own grounds for guests?? if it hadn't been included in my rate, I would have refused to pay anyway.

The good - the bed was very comfy and I love lots of pillows which they certainly had. The room and bathroom were spacious (although the wardrobe being in the bathroom was strange), when there was no music playing all night, it was very quiet (other than guests standing outside your room at 6am talking as though they are the only people on the planet which of course you get in every hotel) the food was good and the complimentary drink was a nice touch, and the gym was pretty good for hotel standards. The staff were very friendly which was probably the highlight. Location wise, it was easy to find, not that far from downtown Palo Alto or Stanford shopping centre and close to a few other restaurants within walking distance.

I don't think I would make this my first choice to stay at again, but if I had to, would be fine to do so and for the price paid, I would recommend it as a good alternative to some of the other options which I have in the past found to be not that much better but considerably more expensive.

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the lobby
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 February 2012

The staff are really friendly and really very helpful but this is at best a 3 star facility.

It's tired, tired, tired. My room is big in a bad way - - it's not cosy at all, with wobbly rattan furniture (even the desk is bamboo and rattan), a free standing IKEA wardrobe and set of drawers with a small TV on top. Terrible decor, and everything feels dirty. I don't want to touch the carpet or curtains and it was all last decorated by someone with limited taste in the mid 1980s....

But it's the food that stands out as being awful. I'm not sure I've ever had worse hotel food. Limited menu with very few healthy options and after being here a week you will be desperate to eat out.

Overall - great people, helpful team as well as a good shuttle service but Crowne Plaza need to over haul the facility. It's well past it's due date. I shall avoid the hotel in the future.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Andreamy7, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2012

Dear BigHappyFamily,

Thank you so much for your feedback and review of our Hotel. My apologies for the room accomodation that you felt was not cozy. You were in a larger size room and I know the room you are referring to by the way you describe it. We have some more furniture to place in that room on order to improve the overall feeling in the room itself. The furniture was actually chosen and selected by our designer who did the refurbish of the Hotel just this last year in 2011. I am very sorry to hear that it did not suit your needs during your visit with us. We will be sure to share this information internally and see what more we can do to make the room more comfortable for future guests. I would be more than happy to speak with you regarding the specifics if you wish, feel free to reach out at your convenience, I have attached my number and email address below. We have a new Chef that we have brought on board recently and we will be addressing your food concerns by doing some menu changes to improve this area, please let me know if there are certain items you'd prefer or what your concerns were specifically so we can get it right for you next time. My aim is to ensure all our guests are well taken care of and catered to, I am sorry that we fell below your expectations of us as we take great pride in our Hotel and will continue to listen to the feedback of our guests and improve the Hotel at every step. Many thanks again for your honest and clear feedback, we will take it into consideration and will share this as a team to look for ways to increase your level of satisfaction with the Cabana.

Many Thanks!
Andrea Murray, General Manager
650.628.0124
andrea@cabanapaloalto.com

Reviewed 28 January 2012

Stayed here recently for business. While there's a little room for improvement, the Crowne was definitely nicer than the Marriott up the street where I stayed last time.

Pluses: I had a "cabana room" which overlooked the pool. The furnishings, including the bathroom floor and fixtures, were modern and appeared to have been recently installed. The room itself was huge and so was the bathroom. Bed was comfy and bedding and carpet appeared to be very clean. Bathroom floor was made out of an interesting non-slip sandstone. Free wi-fi and HVAC worked well. Room had a large refrigerator for storing leftovers, drinks, etc. Front desk staff that I dealt with (an older gray haired man and a younger Asian man) were very nice and helpful - good check-in and check-out experience. Breakfast was included in my corporate rate and was very extensive, served buffet style and included a wide range of bagels/ pastries/ muffins/ croissants, charcuterie, cheese, crackers,fruit, oatmeal, cereal, juice and smoothie, and several hot items daily such as french toast/ pancakes, bacon/sausage, and potatoes and eggs. Really good breakfast. Lobby and dining areas of hotel were reasonably nice.

Minuses: My room was at the very back of the hotel, which meant to get there from the lobby I had to take elevators up, walk to the back of the building, go outside, another long walk on an outside balcony around several twists/ turns and dark corners to finally get to the room at the back. The walk to/ from the elevator is very, very long. Alternatively, you can park your car way in the back closer to the room, but then there is no elevator so you need to carry luggage up a stairwell, which incidentally had "wet paint" signs on it for part of my stay (and me in business clothes). I know this is a fairly safe area, but as a single female traveler, being in such a remote area of the building wasn't too desirable even though the room was nice on the inside. Some of the surfaces in the room (vanity, TV Cabinet, and a shelf in the tub) were visibly dirty and in need of a scrubbing. The tub shelf had hair from the previous guest. The toilet flushed weakly even though it appeared fairly new; I had to hold the handle down for about 45 seconds or it would back up into the bowl. The shower/ tub control did not work right, meaning that the shower ran all the time even when turned off - I got blasted with water from the shower the first time I tried to turn on the tub spigot. The breakfast service, which was required for coffee and for getting the bill at the end of the meal, was spotty. One time it was fine, but two other times there was a very long wait for the server, including one day when I needed to make three requests over about 15-20 minutes to get a cup of coffee despite the fact that at least three waitresses plus a host were working. Room service menu could also have used a few more choices.

Reviewed 24 January 2012

On a quick trip out west I spent 2 nights at the CP hotel. The front desk staff were efficient and friendly, the room provided restful sleep and adequate work space, the wired internet connection (wireless was available, I just didnt use it) was quick and a good location. I have stayed at other hotels up and down El Camino so in comparison, this was better than some and on equal par with others. Only suggestion for room for improvement might be a few more items on the restaurant menu, but other than that, I would stay again.