“Great Trail Runs with My Dog”

Pearson-Arastradero Preserve
Ranked #14 of 41 things to do in Palo Alto
Reviewed 22 November 2015 via mobile

One of my favorite runs on the peninsula - dirt trails, both forested and open space, rolling terrain with some steeper options.

I regularly take my dog and he loves it. I occasionally see coyotes, deer, horses, and sometimes wild turkeys.

The parking lot has water and bathrooms. Convenient.

Limited parking in the lot between 8:30 and 10:30 am on weekends. Come early.

Highly recommended.

"paths"
"parking"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 19 May 2015

Loved the fact that you can enter from close to the Alpine Village and quickly find yourself in a lovely forested area and come out to and expansive meadow. Great 6 miles loop to a large pond and back. And the trails have just the right amount of sand and dirt so it's not hazardous. And the views and immersion into the beautiful outdoors just 20 mins from downtown is great!

1  Thank kwong
Reviewed 22 March 2015

So worth the short drive out here for wide open spaces and beautiful views! There was a nice unmanned center with information and excellent bathroom facilities at the parking area. Be sure to grab a map because there are so many different trails! They had a nice recommendation for one of the more longer hikes that had a nice variety of hills, wildflowers and sunny open vistas as well as some more shaded areas to traverse. Spent about 2 hours here.

Reviewed 18 March 2015

I was visiting Staford with my daughter and found myself with a few hours on my own, so decided to get some fresh air and exercise. The preserve is very easy to find, about 15 minute's drive from the university. The parking lot was full but somebody pulled out just as I arrived. There is a small visitor center with some information on the geology and history of the area. Plentiful real bathrooms. The hike I took was over open grassland, with some amazing views off to the mountains. Bring your camera. But, more importantly, bring sunscreen and a hat. The area offers no shade and I expect it is not fun at midday. Also, the trail is shared with cyclists and I had to step off the trail several times to let the mountain bikes whizz past. Everyone was very friendly. I was pleased with my experience and will return.

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 November 2014

We never miss up a chance to hike through this lovely spot. Every year when we visit our daughter and her family we come up here at least once to enjoy the trails and views. The scenery couldn't be more different than our native Vermont and just as lovely. It's only a few minutes west of downtown Palo Alto but a world apart. During the week you have the place pretty much to yourself but on the weekends you share it with other hikers, horseback riders and bicyclists. This time we even enjoyed watching 2 uni cyclists. But even then, you have lots of time alone as there are so many paths to choose from. There is a parking lot, information center and nice rest rooms. Maps of the trails are available. Come and have fun!