We traveled to Lancaster for a softball tournament along with thousands of other families from across Southern California. Due to the high demand for hotel rooms, we were stuck booking our room at the Ramada. Based on the reviews I saw on line, I was very concerned before arriving. The good news is - it's not as bad as some of the reviews I read. The bad news is - the place was completely unprepared for the crowd of people who converged on their hotel over weekend and the service provided by the hotel was horrible. Here are a few things that went wrong:
- on the weekend (knowing there were kids there for a softball tournament) breakfast started at 6:30AM. When I checked in the desk staff told us food would be served at 5:00AM to accommodate the teams all weekend. WRONG. And the food was pretty awful. Cereal and yogurt were safe bets, but the rest was marginal.
- they lock the front desk to guests starting at 11PM and remain locked until 5:30AM. You cannot enter the lobby from inside the hotel from 11PM to 5:30AM. You have to walk around the outside of the hotel where you can talk to the front desk folks through a small window (think bank teller). Very strange people hang out outside this hotel at night, so you can imagine how please I was at 5:00AM when the front desk staff told me to walk around the outside of the hotel with my kids to find out what was happening with the 5:00AM breakfast.
- someone posing as the front desk attempted to scam one of our parents asking for their credit card number. The manager was reached about this, but there was little to no follow up. The manager implied it may be "an inside job". Why the front desk put a call through at 6:00AM is uncertain.
- They ran out of shampoo and conditioner.
- The air stopped working in more than 50% of the rooms in our group.
- More than 1 family got locked out of their room stating that their reservation was for 1 day instead of the 2 nights.
- Most of the rooms did not have a refrigerator or microwave. Some of them did.
- Bathroom was disguisting.
- We found dried up food in the furniture in our room.
- It's a non-smoking hotel yet the halls were filled with cigarette smoke.
The worst part of this hotel was their willingness to accommodate any special request. This hotel has a conference facility. The rooms were not being used and the large "dining room" was filled with mattresses. Some of the parents from our asked if we could use a meeting room for about 30 minutes to get our kids ready for an event, which involved handing out a few things and getting them into costumes. We were told we could not use the room and that the common meeting area we could use was the area outside by the pool. Take a good look at the photos on the website. The area outside the pool has no shade and very few chairs. It was over 110 degrees outside this past weekend and the staff thought it would be fine to meet for 30 minutes to get kids dressed for a special event in the sun by the pool when it was 110 degrees (extreme heat warning) while air conditioned meeting rooms remained vacant.
So, I would suggest that before you stay at this hotel you exhaust all other options. They are not accommodating, they don't provide any reasonable level of service to their customers, the food and cleanliness are well below par and frankly, they don't seem to care.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ramada Palmdale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.