New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
california
“Not worth it.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

I could go on and on about the countless encounters we had during our week stay, but I am so over this place I do not even want to talk about it anymore. The staff is very accommodating - minus "the managers" they are all rude and very UNaccomodating. The grounds are nice if you don't mind feeling like a sardine. And I understand ac units are expensive but when I am paying the big bucks to stay at a luxury hotel I don't want a wall unit that's 10 years old and bangs and hums all night long. The bathrooms are gross and the carpets are beyond dirty. It's basically like they tried to hide all their flaws with a fancy chandelier and call it a day. Stay elsewhere this is just a high priced old motel at best.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ekaeks
, Director of Sales at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear ekaeks
I am sincerely saddened to hear that your stay was disappointing. Our expectation is to have all guests enjoy their stay and have great memories while at the Viceroy. Please bear in mind that we are a very popular historic boutique resort, and just like all the other resorts in the Valley, we are busier over the weekends then the weekdays. With that said, locating unoccupied weekend lounge chairs is rarely an issue at the Viceroy, and even during the busy holiday weekends, our Restaurant, Bar and Spa are rarely overbooked as that is not the experience we strive for at the Viceroy. I am especially disappointed to hear about your experience with management, and would like to speak with you about the details as this must be rectified.
I look forward to your call,
Rudy Alvarez, Director of Sales & Marketing
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

This hotel is awful. The rooms are dingy and disgusting, the fixtures don't work. The showers flooded, the oven burned up and set off the smoke detector and it smells like od men. Please believe me when I say DO NOT STAY HERE

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank TM10
Dear TM10
Although I am disheartened to read about your experience at the Viceroy, I appreciate the feedback. I assure you, your experience is not the norm. Please contact me at your earliest convenience as I would like to get specifics about your stay so that another guest does not encounter the same issues.
Rudy Alvarez
Director of Sales & Marketing
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

The Viceroy continues to be my favorite place to stay in Palm Springs. The check in is always seamless and it's easy to find the room. This trip I discovered the gym. I'm not one to stay out at the pool for hours so I was happy to find a small gym with a few treadmills and some weight equipment. It was all I needed. The pool areas continue to be quiet and civilized which is what I'm looking for. The Viceroy is better for a couple without kids. It has more of an adult vibe to it. My wife and I just like the overall atmosphere of the place, especially in the night time. The Viceroy is definitely one of the more expensive places to stay in Palm Springs and the regular rooms are not very big but overall we always seem to love the experience there. A five minute walk from the Viceroy is a restaurant called the Falls. Try sitting out on the balcony and order their Oregon Oysters for an appetizer. Delicious.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
san francisco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

For those of us who have stayed at this Viceroy property our standards are not too high. The physical space needs some TLC and the service is always a little mediocre. But you choose to stay there because the facility has some charming spaces and some of the suites are large (although it can't compete with the Parker). We just returned from a three night stay there. Althought the bathroom was remodeled since the early days when the terra cotta tile was painted white, I will never understand why any one chooses to put in a fibreglass shower enclosure instead of doing a nice tiled shower. Got to be the cost. I am attaching a photo of the hallway to our "suite" which shows both filthy carpet and a real lack of care in the maintenance of the place.
My big gripe, howvere, is the fact that we were awakened at 3 in the morning by the sound of a saw and the loud sound was coming directly behind the headboard. We were not sure if the Texas Chain Saw Massacre was happening in the adjacent room or the hotel was falling apart, but it was way too loud to sleep. After about 10 minutes, my husband went downstairs to find a manager. Upon entering the lobby he saw that dry rot repair was being done on the kitchen and our room shared a wall with the wall where the work was being done. The workman on the job told him that the work had been scheduled for that evening and that maybe we could ask for a complimentary breakfast due to the disturbance.
The next morning we received a message on the room phone from a manager informing us that our room would be comped for the "noise disturbance". We spent all day at the property but never once received a verbal apology from anyone.
I received the customary email from the manager asking me to rate our experience and I related our story. The next day my husband received a phone call from a manager apologizing again and offering a complimentary room next time we're in town. So they handled that part just about right although she did tell him the work was an emergency and not pre-scheduled. Still sounds a little sketchy and maybe like some one was trying to do some work without permits.
Still not happy with the way the situation was handled when we were on site. We had two rooms for 3 days and had a pretty decent-size bill at the end of the trip.

Room Tip: Room 402 has a porch light that is left on permanently so your room is never completely dark. We wer...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank lorinhayoyo
, Director of Sales at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Dear Lorinhayoyo:

I am sincerely disappointed that you and your husband did not have the experience you were expecting. I hope you understand that we would never intentionally disrupt the most basic expectation of our guests which is to thoroughly enjoy their stay.

If we would not have had a water leak earlier that night, we would not have performed the emergency repair.

It is my understanding that our General Manager did speak with your husband, and that the resolution offered was acceptable.

We hope you visit us again, as it is our goal to have all guests have pleasant experiences and memories while visiting the Viceroy Palm Springs.

Encinitas, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

What a great hotel located in the heart of Palm Springs. The service was fantastic, food great, cocktails continuous, and the spa heavenly! There are 3 pools to chose from with one being a "family" pool. However, this isn't really a hotel I would take children to. We will definitely go again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple