So, you can get a pretty well-rounded idea of what kind of place the Riviera is based on everything people say on TA. It tries to be swanky and it is, to a degree. But when you add in the pool area they have, and a youngish crowd, it turns more toward the flavor of a crazy spring break scene. We had a great time there because we knew what we were signing up for. I would definitely not bring kids around that pool (tho there were some there on Sunday morning)... there were some pretttty drunk kids on Sat afternoon that were getting, shall we say, frisky. So much for swank.
The rooms were cool - we were upgraded to a junior suite which was nice, and were situated in building two which was close to the pool but not to any point where we could hear noise from it. I thought the location was perfect. One of our bathroom sinks ended up clogging up on Sunday morning, so it was lucky we had two as I was trying to use it to brush my teeth at the time. The shower took forever to get warm.
My main complaint was with the treatment of the hotel guests that were out at the pool on Saturday night by the management. This hotel is known for keeping very late hours at the pool area...however, at no time could we get a truly straight answer from anyone regarding the exact hours that it closed. Some other guests that were regulars there claimed it normally doesn't close until 3am. On Saturday night the staff started around the pool shutting off the fire pits at 11:30pm (!) without a word. Pretty rude, as their pool area and fire pits are obviously a big night-time selling point, and 11:30 is hardly a reasonable closing time at a resort that sells itself on having a lively atmosphere.
Next, they began the task of getting everyone out of the pool - there were maybe 15-20 people spread around swimming and hanging out - nobody was being crazy, the night was super warm, and the water was a perfectly lovely place to be! Again, the manager than came around treated everyone as though they were a bunch of drunk kids who needed reprimanding, rather than paying hotel guests. It was jarring and rudely done and very against what they seem to try to portray on their website (which actually has a blurb on the "night-time scene" at the pool). Nobody was happy, but everyone got out and went and found other places to hang out. It was really a poorly handled situation that left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. That manager is in serious need of a refresher course in customer relations. By the way, we were swimming in the pool until 1:30 or 2am on Friday night, with zero issue.
I think in the end, people base their opinions on cost-to-value of a place. Since we got a good rate with a Bloomspot deal and were also upgraded, we felt we got what we paid for and enjoyed our experience. I think if one were to pay top dollar at this resort, yes, the missing tiles at the pool or the forgetful bartender and slow service is going to bother you a lot more. It's best to read up and know what you're getting in to before you purchase a stay at the Riviera.
One last tip: yes, the pool loungers are truly gone by about 8:30am, get yourself out of bed if you want anything more than a stray single here or there. Our group of 4 still had options at 8:30am but those were definitely gone by 9:00.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A stylish and styled, eclectic, cool, bohemian getaway. Inspired by the nonchalant elegance of Slim Aaron’s photographs, The Riviera is free spirited, vibrant, playful and bohemian with a sprinkling of retro nostalgia. The whimsy of Hollywood Regency in the guest rooms merges with the eclectic spirit of the public areas and makes for a perfectly unique resort getaway in Palm Springs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Riviera Palm Springs Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riviera Resort And Spa, Palm Springs
- Riviera Resort & Spa, Palm Springs Hotel Palm Springs
- Riviera Hotel Palm Springs
- Riviera Resort Palm Springs
- Palm Springs Riveria Resort