“Best food I ate in Palm Springs”
Review of Johannes

Johannes
Reserve with OpenTable
Johannes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 350 Restaurants in Palm Springs
Price range: US$ 18 - US$ 45
Cuisines: Austrian, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Arenas
Transit: Located on Indian Canyon Drive close to the restaurant.
Reviewed 25 February 2018

After several overpriced and average meals in Palm Springs, Johannes felt like an oasis in what I was beginning to think was a food desert. My husband had scallops and I had the branzino. Both were excellent. Add in a really good wine list, warm and attentive service, and an elegant yet laid back atmosphere, and you have a delicious and memorable evening.

Only one word of warning: they have “Austrian-sized” portions. As in, huge. Avoid ordering an appetizer and an entree if you aren’t a big eater.

1  Thank Rhonda R

Reviewed 23 February 2018 via mobile

Although Johannes is best known for its excellent wiener schnitzel and about twenty other ways to prepare schnitzel, our group of four found we were more interested in the daily specials that included outstanding thick, juicy veal medallions. Shamelessly we cleared them off the menu en masse depriving later arrivals of an extraordinary choice. We also were impressed with the diversity and value of the menu selections available to us and some of the twenty types of martinis available to start the evening were noted and tried as well.

Johannes is an unassuming, unpretentious yet deceptively fine restaurant near to downtown Palm Springs with a lively friendly staff. From the nicely dressed upscale clientele I observed, it is obviously a favorite of the locals while fortunately being slightly outside the gaudy tourist mainstream restaurant universe a block away.

Let’s keep it our little secret and if you go, I suggest you get a 5:30 reservation to beat the locals to the daily specials. Also, it would be recommended to leave the little people with a sitter and a pizza so you can enjoy a memorable big people evening!

1  Thank Bighorndon
Reviewed 20 February 2018

What a wonderful restaurant. The outside is a quite plain storefront. However inside is a truly fabulous dinner experience. We arrived for our early dinner at 5:00 p.m. Our server, Barrie, was helpful, charming and delightful. My friend loves Schnitzel so she selected the restaurant. She LOVED her entrée. I had the salmon, my spouse the amazing duck and my friend's spouse had the fish special. Each and every dish was extraordinary - large portions - and perfect. I couldn't more highly recommend a visit to Johannes when in Palm Springs!

1  Thank joangosewisch
Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

We had a slight problem getting seated but Barrie took care of that in a hurry !! She was the best ! The food was outstanding.Scallops magnificent and the Tenderloin Filet perfect . It was a great find ! Would highly recommend but make reservations in advance !!

1  Thank ken h
Reviewed 6 February 2018

Johannes is on a busy street and its space is a corner storefront. Walk inside and it is a glorious, elegant restaurant with divine food, comfortable tables, and a lot of fun! WOW. I never would have expected it to be so good even though it is listed as one of the best restaurants in Palm Springs. I saw the exterior and thought there could not be much inside. Never judge by the exterior alone!! Same with people. :-)))

The menu was wonderful with something for everyone, and schnitzel for the world. They have a whole page devoted to them. We were a party of 4 and each of us had something different from Duck (superb) to Schnitzel (yum) to fish (perfectly cooked.

The service was delightful - a very knowledgeable woman who was there when we needed her to be and not when we did not. Excellent!!

I will go back there again on my next visit to PS in March. I give it a big thumbs up and urge all of you to try it. I just had the best time!! Enjoy!

1  Thank Jean H