See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 August 2016

Had a great stay here a while back.

Its a really swanky old school 30-40's style hotel with not too many rooms.
Many of the rooms are close to the nice pool area where its easy to let the time fly on hot summer days with a refreshing drink in your hand.

The rooms where modern without giving me that hospital feeling some of the generic hotels does. Spacious with a great bed and large bathroom. Effective AC wich is a must in the desert heat. Some small nice things like always finding water with cucumber and lemon free by the bar och that excellent "Happy Hour" everyday with free wine, drinks and snacks.
Less then a mile from restaurants, bars and shopping and a nice walking distance.

You can really feel the history in this hotel and if it was good enough for Marilyn Monroe, Jim Morrison, Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin, its certainly good enough for me = )

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2016

Check in is at 3:00, and the reception closes at 5:00. If you're late you need to go over to their other property, which is so much fun in the 113 degree weather. There is no one to help you with your luggage. Sorry if your room is upstairs and you have a bad back. I got there a little after 3, mentioned my bad back, and there wasn't even an offer to help with my luggage. Went to the room and the key didn't work. Went back to the front desk and the guy gave me another key. No apology! Went back upstairs, new key didn't work! The man at the desk went looking for the correct key. Again, no apology. He just kept questioning if I had used the correct key. He then found the correct key and walked to the room to make sure it worked this time. It did! No apology!! Reminder it's 115 degrees outside! We booked this trip months ago and the poor reviews must have came in after. I love that the manager keeps apologizing for the disrepair, but doesn't do anything about it! If the hotel is like this you should shut it down until you can make the proper repairs to bring it back to its splendor. Don't keep charging customers and make promises to make future repairs. What does that do for me right now? I should have known when I called twice ahead of my visit and didn't get a return phone call that something was very wrong!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank JamieG1748
Reviewed 20 July 2016

Only stayed 1 night, but loved the location, the style and the room was great. No issues other than the hot water was reversed w/the cold, but the staff was very friendly. They gave us a late checkout for the confusion. The other hotel guests were also fun to chat with at the pool and at the breakfast area. Would definitely stay again! Great decor.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2016

What a disappointment! I have come here in the past and this place was incredible. Swanky and luxurious and the perfect vibe. Now it is under new ownership and they aren't even trying to make it nice anymore. They used to put in all the subtle perfect touches: happy hour, the morning fruit and pastries, water with cucumber at the bar, music, nice helpful staff. Under the new owners, none of that-- they cancelled happy hour (too expensive, really?), they don't bother to play music, the cucumber water thing is empty, looks like they haven't updated the paint in years, the front staff is unfriendly and unhelpful, stuff in our room is broken, wifi doesn't work... They offered for us to go next door to the other property they own, and that place is cheeseball and has overpriced cocktails and snacks. Such a disappointment because movie colony was a great place and has so much potential. Hopefully one day under a different owner they will be great again.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Erin H
Todd H, General Manager at Movie Colony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2016

Dear Sad Guest,
I am sorry to see your poor perception of the Movie Colony Hotel. It appears that we were unable to get past your memory of previous years. We still have our chilled water out for guests, the music is still played at the pool, the paint is consistently being updated, and we have dedicated, friendly staff members. Your comment about our sister property being "cheeseball" testifies to your disposition and we obviously could not change that. The Movie Colony is still a great place with amazing potential and we hope that you can come back to see the hotel flourish.
Todd Husted

Reviewed 30 June 2016 via mobile

This place is nothing like it was described. The rooms where like staying in someone's two car garage. Painted floors that was pealing dirty bed skirts. Their sister hotel the triada they told us was associated with the Marriott hotel. Housekeeping did a nice job. The breakfast was the same blueberry bagels everyday. When the fruit was gone they didn't replenish. It had a nice pool. We had to walk from the corner place to be dropped off in front. There is no one there after 5 there were glass beer bottles by the pool that other guest left. There was no phone in our room or by the pool to use in case of an emergency. Noise from the toad and the restaurant next door. We left and went to the Avalon for the rest of the week.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mangia007
Todd H, General Manager at Movie Colony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2016

Dear Important Guest,
Ouch, we truly apologize for your experience. I have invested a lot of time and money into freshening up the property. I have purchased new linens, new towels, and have invested in a HOST Dry Extraction System to ensure all carpets and floor coverings are to their optimum cleanliness. We have brand new sheets and towels in the rooms as well. I understand that the property is showing some age, but every effort is made to make sure that every area is clean and maintained. We will continue to work hard for every guest to earn their loyalty and business.
Todd Husted