“Worth a return visit - - soon!”
Review of Movie Colony Hotel

Movie Colony Hotel
Ranked #56 of 74 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed 12 March 2016

Great location! Just steps away from Palm Springs' hip Design District with it's great shops and restaurants. The hotel is not "flashy" and is not a magnet for the "to see & be seen" crowd, which is exactly what I was looking for. The hotel was due for an "update," which the manager informed me was in the plans for Spring '16. The beds were great, as were the bed linens and duvet covers, but the carpets and bathroom fixtures were in dire need of a little tender loving care. The continental breakfast consisted of cereals, muffins and fruit, but unfortunately wasn't served until after 9:30/10:00, thankfully all the rooms have mini fridges, which was a plus, as I went to Trader Joe's for my own fruit and breakfast supplies. French press coffee and tea available all day, which was a nice touch. STAND OUT employees: Michael in reception was ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! Providing his guests with superlative and genuine customer care was his #1 priority. Having grown up in Palm Springs, he knew everything there was to know about the valley and shared this information with his guests. Knowing that Michael was watching out for the welfare of all "his" guests was comforting. Definitely "management material." Another STAND OUT employee was Angel, who worked tirelessly as a bartender/server in the adjacent "sister" hotel (Triada Hotel). The bar/restaurant was Angel's domain and she treated every guest like an old friend. During the 11 nights I was at the Movie Colony Hotel, Angel had only one night off and was probably running on empty, but you'd never know it from her high energy and effervescent personality. Wyatt, also an employee in the bar, as well as one of the valets, was delightful. All in all, a wonderful winter get-away. I would definitely go back and stay at the Movie Colony Hotel.

Room Tip: There's a Mexican restaurant next door, which tended to be loud. I'd aim for a room closer t...
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
Todd H, General Manager at Movie Colony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2016

Dear Great Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We apologize for the shortfalls on the bathroom conditions, that will be one of our focus points when we refresh the property soon. It is a delicate process to update features while keeping the historical integrity of the hotel. We thank you for the acknowledgements for our extremely important staff. They truly show how much they care for their hotel, and for all of our guests. I look forward to seeing you again and showing off our improvements!
Todd Husted

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 16 February 2016 via mobile

Used to stay here all the time with my husband when we come to Palm Springs. We came last in December 2015 and we reserved a room that we liked and were told that the place next door (Triada, who owns the Movie Colony now) had bought it and would honor the price and we would get our room... Well we came down for a business/vacation trip here in February 2016 and we came in when we thought the office was still open, come to find out they close the office at 5pm and open it again each day at 9am. So we had to go over to the Triada to get our key, and we then found out they put us in a different room. The gentleman at Triada was nice and said in the morning we could ask about moving since right then there was someone in the room we requested, and that he would note it for us. When we went to get in the gate we found out we had two room keys and not a room key and a gate key, so my husband had to go get a gate key from Triada. The next day my husband went and tried to get our favorite room and they said no and that there was no way and it was not in the price range we were paying. When my husband told me this he said he thought all this was all rehearsed because he never brought up money to the guy and was just wanting to have a room we loved. So service kind of sucked. Then breakfast was not much of anything, they had bread for toast, and no bagels, no fruit until our last day which was on Valentine's day, and no yogurt like they used too. The room we couldn't get cool enough, the a/c didn't work in the end. You could twist the knob to get it cool, but it never cooled. Also the knob for the fan speed and setting type for sure didn't work because you never knew what the setting was, unless it was off. The pillow top matters' they use to have are not there. They have seemed to change those out to just a regular matters with something that makes it feel like a pillow top. They also don't do happy hour there anymore, you have to go over to Triada to do that. When you go over for your complimentary drink you have to have a voucher to show and maybe get a drink for each person free. Use to be they would have one red wine, and one white wine in their breakfast nook area from about 5:00pm to about 6:30pm and it all was the honor system. During this time it was you could sit around the fire pit which they would light up during happy hour, which was cool, and you would be able to talk to other people that were staying there. This last trip the fire pit was never turned on and looked like it hadn't been turned on since we about the last we were there or for a number of weeks. Very sad, use to be a great way to relax a little and to get to know other people from around the world.
Used to be a great place to stay and staff was great to work with, but now not so much. Seems to have gone very corporate and not wanting to honor things that were put in place a number of months before. It had a great vibe before, but not so much now. Very disappointed with the place now.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kirsten W
Todd H, General Manager at Movie Colony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2016

Dear Valued Guest,
We are so sorry about your multiple issues you experienced at Movie Colony. I will say in all honesty that this has been a work in progress. I'm sure you were informed during your stay about the hotel sale, but the last thing we want is to give off a "corporate" feel. We had envisioned that a partnership with Triada across the street would actually increase the overall service for hotel guests. I apologize if your experience did not reflect that image. We are still tweaking all aspects of the hotel, and I hope we can regain your trust and your business very soon.

Reviewed 12 February 2016

we were upgraded to a balcony room on arrival, and our request to have a quiet room was addressed. reception staff very welcoming and helpful. the rooms are in need of refurbishing, the carpet was grubby and patio blinds and furniture in need of updating. however, the towels and bedding were totally fine. no aveda toiletries as advertised, and the wine happy hour was across the road in the Triada (new owners). personally, I would wait and go after the refurbishment - which we heard was scheduled for June.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnmoreRV

Dear Welcome Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Special thanks for your generous comments on the staff. You are correct that some upgrades are needed, we are already addressing all areas in need of improvement. Our in-room amenities are now another luxury product by Gilchrist & Soames, used in many upscale hotels. The Movie Colony Hotel was a limited service property, we hope to incorporate our sister property Triada to include more services and opportunities for all hotel guests.

Reviewed 11 December 2015

A year ago, I was booked to stay at the Movie Colony Hotel for one night, but unfortunately was grounded in Houston due to extreme weather conditions and did not arrive in time to stay at the hotel. When I finally arrived in Palm Springs, albeit two days later, I stopped-by to introduce myself to the manager, Juana Loera, who was extremely helpful, friendly, professional and genuine. Juana took the time to show me the property, which I fell in love with. In fact, I booked a vacation in 2015 because of her enthusiastic tour of the property and her demeanor, knowing that she would take a personal interest in making sure my stay would be perfect. I ended up adding several nights to my original booking and when I called to ask if she knew of any tennis facilities in the area, Juana volunteered to send me contact information for two clubs. I haven't even arrived and already the personal customer care and service is exceeding my expectations. Counting the days until I arrive. Thank you Juana for your help.

Stayed: December 2015
1  Thank marlazoe
Reviewed 9 December 2015 via mobile

Hubby and myself had a great time in Palm Springs in good part thanks to this quiet and quaint little abode.

Staff was gracious and always ready to go above and beyond to make our stay the most welcoming and comfortable. Special thanks to Mike and Juana.

We slept good, enjoyed the pool and jacuzzi accessible 24hr and complimentary continental breakfast and drinks (try the Dean Martin martini made with sake if offered ;-). )

The place is quiet and located at walking distance to good restaurants and marvellously original shops and art gallery.

Will definitely come back.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple