See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 November 2015

We stayed in Townhouse #29, the Sinatra Townhouse. Rumored to have been the home for Jim Morrison and his infamous ventures into the pool, the room was a marvel of Mid Century decor. The living room was gorgeously appointed with a bar, fireplace, 2 Wassily Chrome adn Leather chairs and a beautiful mirrored armoire. The bedroom upstairs featured a period bathroom with updates and a quaint curved inset shower, an incredibly comfortable king bed and bedding along with a large private patio with prefect sun shades and a great view of the mountains. The staff was fantastic, the location was walkable and the breakfast and happy hour did not disappoint. With only 17 rooms, this small boutique hotel really hit all the buttons for us on our 1 year anniversary.

Room Tip: There is not a bad room in this hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2015

In the heat of Palm Springs there is no shade available to park a vehicle. The flooring in the unit I was in seemed like it came from a beach bungalow........a straw type weaved floor covering better suited for the sand than a hotel room. It was sticky to the touch and that in itself turned me sour. Electrical outlets were inconvenient to use for my phone and laptop. Bed was a bit too soft for my liking. The patio off the room was nice for the winter months but was no additional upgrade (as they stated) for me when it's 115 degrees outside. Breakfast wasn't served until 8:30 the morning which was way too late and too hot for me to be sitting outside.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Parnellijoy19
Reviewed 20 September 2015

We stayed here for five nights in mid-September and absolutely loved this hotel!! I don't think there are enough descriptors to really do it justice. In fact, I think this is my first five-star review!

The hotel grounds are mellow and have an awesome art deco vibe. Lots of little private nooks for guests, beautiful flowers and cactus plants, lovely pool area with plenty of chairs and shade, mellow music playing throughout the day. Everything is spotless and well-maintained. We were there at low season so the hotel was not full, but it is designed to give guests the feeling of cozy privacy, so I imagine it would be still great even when full capacity (which is only 16 rooms or something like that).

Our room was spotless (near the breakfast bar), and we choose one with a private patio area which was a nice touch. Very comfy beds!!

Having a 24-hour pool is a great feature too.

Everyone who works there is so friendly and helpful, from the front desk (especially Alina (hope I spelled that right!!), to the maintenance and cleaning staff. As other reviewers said, the staff mostly stays out of sight but you know they are there if you need something.

The free breakfast is a bonus - reasonable selection of bagels, OJ, coffee, bowl of oranges/apples/bananas, yogurt, etc. Also took advantage of the free happy hour drinks at 5:30-6:30 each night. Martinis and wine were on offer.

The location was perfect. A five minute walk to the main strip of shops and restaurants. No restaurant on site but the El Mirasol next door offers room service -- a bit cheaper to just go and eat there, which is what we did. Excellent food!!

We rented a car for two of the days we were there, and there was free parking at the hotel. We also used the hotel's free bikes to tour around town... nice bonus!

This is an adult's only hotel and very quiet and mellow. It is perfect for couples like us who like to sit and relax by the pool before and after exploring the city and surrounding area. We would stay here again without hesitation.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank twoplusbun
Reviewed 17 September 2015

We love going to Palm Springs & especially enjoy staying at The Movie Colony, we enjoy the comfort & cleanliness of this place, also enjoy the happy hour each evening where the hotel put out wine & a great cocktail, We have met many different people from around the world at these happy hours whom all agree that this is a happy place to stay. Not forgetting the breakfast that the hotel puts out, this is ample for us as we do enjoy a light breakfast, the hotel offers juice, bagels, fruit, yogurts, teas, coffee. The Staff are some of the best we have ever come across & so friendly. We will return again & again.

Room Tip: The best rooms are the 2 Townhouses overlooking the pool, but all rooms on the lower level that we have stayed in are good
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank limeyp
Reviewed 15 September 2015

I liked this hotel which is in a great location in Palm Springs. You can very comfortably walk to the main bar/restaurant street and the hotel is small (about 15 or so rooms) and friendly with a nice pool and breakfast area.
Two types of room: a standard (which I had) and a townhouse (one of which was Frank Sinatra's home for a while). My room was clean and spacious, with a 50s feel (throughout the hotel), with a seating area and ok bathroom (clean the main thing). Air-con was noisy but constant (thankfully not one of the ones that come on and off waking you up all the time!), and it drowns out any outside noises and so I didn't mind.
The one thing I didn't like is the music by the pool. I've since found out that every hotel in Palm Springs will have piped music around the pool and so the Movie Colony is just fitting it but I found it very intrusive. It's too loud to read say. Pleasant enough (50s crooners) but turn it down a few notches! The staff are lovely and she turned it off for me as I was the only person there but another member of staff then turned it on 30 mins later. I spoke to a French woman who stays at the hotel regularly (lives LA) and she doesn't like it either. They should do a poll of guests and find out if anyone actually likes it!! They could also have a 'quiet' side of pool but at the moment the speakers are all round the pool. I stayed in Vegas too on the same trip and they had music but it was much quieter and you could easily tune out. Part of the problem at Movie Colony is, I think, that it is a small pool area enclosed and so you are much more aware of such things.
Breakfast was good. You help yourself to cereal and muffins, fresh coffee.
I noticed (before I went) that some reviewers mentioned room choice as important as I wouldn't have wanted to be in the room by the breakfast room, although breakfast only starts at 8 and people chat a little but not excessively, so not sure if it would be a pain or not, but if this kind of thing bothers you just say away from the breakfast bar.
In summary this is a stylish hotel and is absolutely where you will want to be in Palm Springs. You could park the car on arrival and walk anywhere of interest. I'd definitely look at this hotel again next time I visit PS but it didn't win me over to the point where I'd say I wouldn't even check out other places. Almost but not quite.

Room Tip: I stayed in an upstairs room which I think is better as away from communal areas. See how much it'd be to upgrade to a townhouse.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo