See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 January 2012

This place has alot of history. We enjoyed our stay here. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We looked at the terrace room and the fireside room , the fire side room had more space but if you want a private terrace then the terrace room would be for you.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2012

The only unpleasant thing was that there was no one at reception after 7 pm and it was very confusing to get inside the hotel. We were not told of this, so we were upset at first when we could not get in. Once we did, we enjoyed our stay. The happy hour is relaxed and the accommodations are clean. We walked to downtown to shops and restaurants. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 1 January 2012

My husband & I recently enjoyed a 2-night stay at the Movie Colony Hotel for our anniversary. We checked in and were warmly greeted by the concierge (Jean Michel) who gave us the run-down of the hotel and location, taking us on a tour of the small hotel. His enthusiasm was contagious; he's clearly a true believer. The hotel was an early project of Albert Frey's, so the real-deal in the mid-century Palm Springs architecture. As I understand, they've recently redone the small (about 30 rooms) boutique hotel. The room we had was moderately sized, but nicely configured and very comfortable. The room (#16) had a small patio that I would have liked to enjoy, but in winter was not particularly useful. It had several citrus fruit trees that offered a lot of shade during the day. We were admittedly chasing the sun, so opted to spend our mornings in front of the swimming pool. During summer, I'm sure we would have spent a lot of time on the patio.

The highlight of our stay there was the time reading and snacking by the pool in the mornings. There were only a few other guests at any given time. The music they piped into the space was excellent (play lists with current indie rock to timeless Americana to Palm Springs-ish crooners). Besides the pool, there's also a jacuzzi on offer, as well as bicycles for the guests to borrow - which my husband availed himself of for an evening ride. The continental breakfast was a tasty help-yourself affair, with Bonne Maman honey and jams with the breads (sad bagels, I'm afraid), yogurt & granola, and, of course, tea, coffee and juices. The happy hour was similar, with a couple hours to enjoy wine and snacks and a particularly nice outdoor fireplace.

A few very small caveats: As advertised, they do offer DVD players, but if you think you might want to curl up in the big, cozy bed and watch a movie, I strongly recommend bringing your own movies.The hotel's selection is tiny (fewer than 10 films, as I recall) and painfully mediocre at best. They also have a small selection of games, but again pretty mediocre. We regretted forgetting our travel Scrabble game. I only add these minor complaints because it's a hotel that I think many people would enjoy, and knowing these small things (if you are at all like us) might make your stay even better.

Room Tip: We had a downstairs room (#16), but only one time did I hear our neighbors upstairs. So I would not shy away from these rooms. The concierge was very proud of the larger pool-side rooms, and they do look nice. But I think we were content to have a small room that was very quiet and private. (Though it's also worth noting that the pool there never got loud or rowdy during our winter-time stay.)
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fran C
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Have you ever bought something off the internet but when it arrived it had only a passing resemblence to the photographs. I was sucked in by the glossy photos on their website. The hotel is very tired and in need of a complete re-vamp. Nice people, clean functional rooms but last decorated in 1922 ... or so it seems. Pleanty of choice in this price bracket so shop around, don't let my mistake be yours as well. Palm Springs is a great place to visit.

Room Tip: Colony Hotel down the street was the same rate and much better.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnEric2
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Great location, Cheeky's for breakfast is less than a block away, although the hotels continental breakfast is good. Parking is free and hassel free. Never entered or exited through the hotels front door - no need to. Only questions we had was how to start the gas fire place and location fo the switch to turn on the jets fro the hot tub.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple