“Charming Location, Friendly Hosts and Guests” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Mirasol Villas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
El Mirasol Villas
Laguna Hills, California
“Charming Location, Friendly Hosts and Guests”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

Late during a work week, I decided I needed a weekend getaway. Remembering El Mirasol Villas from visit a few years earlier, I decided to go back. I got very quick responses for rates and making a reservation. Even when getting out there late on a Friday, I felt accommodated and looked after. Hosts/ Owners Paul and Bruce (and Skip) are very friendly and helpful and it is clear they really care about the property. It is not super modern with flat screen TVs, super luxurious bathrooms, etc, but the room I stayed in was a nice "bungalow" style and clean and quiet. The pools, grounds and landscaping of this property are beautiful.

Going out by myself, I was planning on just a quiet weekend, reading, etc, but I never felt totally alone. There was a nice crowd of guys from all ages and everyone was friendly. Compared to some of the neighboring properties, there is not a high sexual energy (I was looking for a mellow weekend so I really appreciated not feeling hustled), but there can be a little action and eye candy if you are looking for it. I'm looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2011

I stayed the El Mirasol Villa gay resort in Palm Springs over the weekend of 4/23 and 4/24/11. First, owner/operators are *very* friendly and helpful, the grounds were lush and clean and welcoming, the two pools (one heated, one not) were clean and refreshing, and the jacuzzi was wonderful. My room was just ok. I was at a poolside room near the non-heated pool. The room was a bit outdated, with tube-TV, dollar-store CD player (but it did work), the bed was fairly comfortable, the furniture somewhat mismatched, mixed what seemed to be 70s and 90s. Wifi worked fine. The continental breakfast was ok (coffee, cereal, fruit, etc.). Overall, not as expensive as bigger, suite hotels....but....

My biggest beef was with the shower -- and a good shower can make or break a trip (maybe it's just me). Come on...for $160 a night you'd think you would get a shower head from this century. I want to attach photos here of this shower head and shower stall. It was so painful, especially after being in the sun, and I've been in larger shower stalls on an RV. The last time I saw shower heads like this was in the original Friday the 13th - Camp Crystal Lake (which is what I thought when I saw it). The mildew growing all over the inside of the shower was terrible, and the next morning I had to forego my normal shower routine -- I just couldn't do it. For this fact alone, I could not stay here again, unless they have better rooms? Perhaps. Are they in the process of updating? Perhaps.

They do have parking, but not too many spaces - if you come back from the bars or nightlife late, after 10 or 11, it was difficult to park here - had to park on the street outside and was worried about a ticket. You don't get a reserved spot.

But I must say again, the staff was incredible and the grounds are beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask to see the shower first.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank gydyup
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

This was my first time in Palm Springs. I have to admit, based on what i heard about the city i wasn't so sure I would love it. I was wrong. Paul and Bruce at El Mirasol couldn't have made me feel more at home. I was finished with business a day early and I did not want to stay an extra night in LA so I asked the folks at El Mirasol if I could check in a day early. It was not a problem at all. The Villas have this beautiful, oasis escape feel to them, and yet you are right in the middle of downtown Palm Springs. Everything, restaurants, shopping, gym, bars, are all within walking distance, and no more than a 5 to 10 minute drive away. I was sad to leave after my 8 days. I will certainly be back.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank maximilliandavis
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2011

I've stayed at many of the gay resorts in Palm Springs. El Mirasol is the ONLY resort I've returned to many times in the last several years. It has the most beautiful grounds of any of the Gay Resorts in town. The rooms are impeccably clean. The continental breakfast is great. Hosts Paul & Bruce are kind and caring and make you feel welcome. I won't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank gacollum
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2010

I had stayed at this resort several years ago with a partner, but had very little recollection of it so I decided for this trip I would check it out again to refresh my memory.
The room was nice sized with King bed, fridge, good sized TV a few chairs and a small table. A very large closet with ironing gear for those of you that need it. The bathroom was ok. Ample sized, but the shower/tub could have used a make over, but it was doable.
The crowd was small due to off season, but friendly. Summer in Palm Springs can be a bit on the warm side, but the pool makes it all worth while. And speaking of pools.....this place has 2 pools, one at each end of their little compound. Both were very nice and offered plenty of seating. A nice continental breakfast was included which offered, muffins, bagels, coffee, fruits, cold cereals, and hard boiled eggs.
Their Wi-Fi could use some help, or perhaps my room just was out of range. I was never able to connect, but a signal was detected, albeit a weak one.
This resort is in the "Warm Sands" neighborhood, with plenty of "resorts" in the area. I cannot compare this to any of the others only because I have never stayed at any other there, but their reputation is more party oriented. The El Marisol Villas is a very laid back non-pretentious alternative to the party resorts in town.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo