“An oasis in the middle of Palm Springs”
Review of Villa Royale Inn

Villa Royale Inn
Ranked #47 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Swanage, United Kingdom
“An oasis in the middle of Palm Springs”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

A return visit after some years. We were not disappointed. Service laid back but efficient,nothing too much trouble. It is still a great place to relax, look at the mountains and try to find something to worry about. We understand there is a new chef and our meal was excellent as was our accomodation, room 118 just tucked away but near everything, especially the early morning coffee.

Room Tip: Our room (118) and its neighbour was particularily good, quiet but central and near the main pool an...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
North Hampton, New Hampshire
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Had a family issue in the desert and needed a nice place to rest. This is it. What a great place, kind people, fantastic food and liquor, walking distance to other great places. I had the chance to stay in 3 rooms as they had to juggle me during peak season. All were charming and I can't say enough kind things about the management and help. Clean. Not overpriced. Well managed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fireplace. Really sweet.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I stayed here for one night recently and found a dead, recently fed bedbug under the mattress in our suite. I spoke to a staff member who was sweet and apologetic, but really did nothing about it. I was grossed out. I waited for the new owner to a drive and spoke with him about this situation. I was assured that they sprayed once a month for bedbugs. He apologized, offered to buy me a drink at the bar (which I declined - I had other plans), and asked if there was anything i needed. I wanted another room, but they were booked. i refused to sleep on that mattress - so he sent over a pillow, a sheet and a thin blanket that i requested as I informed him I would sleep on the couch. He didn't seem to care one bit. I was hoping he would do the right thing and offer a discount. Not at all. What a shame. Quaint place but needs work. Hardly AAA 4 star.

Silverado, California
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My husband and I were celebrating Valentines the weekend after. Many places right in town were booked, but finally came upon the Villa Royale. After speaking w/Jack, he actually upgraded us to a small Villa (103). It was perfect, though each room is decorated differently. Originally built as a private residence in 1948 it has 2 pools, jacuzzi and fountains and gardens throughout. It is a bit off the main drag, but quiet and peaceful, exactly what I what I had invisioned. I actually stopped by prior to our visit to check it out. The staff were pleasant and even showed me the room ahead of time. There is a restuarant and bar on grounds, so you could actually stay and never have a reason for leaving. Thank you Jack for making it a truly Happy Valentines Day

southern california
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I recently spent a weekend with several other friends at the Villa Royale Inn. This was my 4th. visity to the Inn and I was not disappointed; my friends were also delighted with the Inn.. Both Jacob and Jack were extremely helpful in booking our rooms and in helping to keep track of our group. As previous reviewers have stated, the rooms in this boutique hotel are all configured and furnished differently. I enjoyed staying in the courtyard with its own pool which was nicely heated. Since many of us were leaving early for various activities, many in our group requested early breakfast trays and there was no trouble getting those. (Of course we then missed out on the breakfast for that day). We all opted to have a celebratory dinner at Europa and Mark was wonderful in giving us menu choices that suited all. We enjoyed a delicious dinner and had good service. It seemed that the restaurant, the next morning, was full with most guests arriving right at the opening time. As a result, service was a little slow, but it was apparent that the wait staff was working as quickly and efficiently as possible. All in all, I recommend this hotel highly for its ambiance and helpful staff.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends