“Our Disappointing Vacation” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
California
“Our Disappointing Vacation”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

My family and I have been coming to this Residence Inn for years and have always been satisfied, until our recent trip. The rooms and grounds need serious attention and the rooms also are in need of repairs and updating. I booked our reservations 6 months in advanced to assure we can get near the pool because of my kids etc. We planned on being there for rest, relaxation and playing in the pool. The years we've have gone before we have always met lots of family's with kids etc and its a family atmosphere. When we arrived I was told all those rooms are booked by long term guests by the pool. I thought this hotel was for vacationers etc, boy was I wrong. The hotel was over half full of these "Long Term Guests". I would think they would accommodate their vacationers and Marriott rewards guests a little better. Maybe by putting the long term guests in the back of the hotel grounds to leave near the pool area for vacationers. I don't have a problem with long term guests staying at hotels, but this time it seemed like everyone there was a long term guests and the hotel was more accommodating to them first. The grounds around the pool and hotels needed some serious attention. The trees are overgrown, plant debris everywhere and dead or dying plants. The pool itself was a mess and had not been cleaned while we were there or even the debris around the pool. The pool it self was cloudy and full of debris. Out of the 3 jacuzzi's only 1 was hot and that one was the dirtiest and really filthy. I wouldn't go in it at all. That is the best part of vacation is relaxing in the jacuzzi. Our last evening there we planned on going to the pool for an evening swim and where stopped by one of the "guest" to say that someone had used the bathroom (#2) in the pool. I was shocked and thought ok maybe it was a kid, but this "guest" said oh no it was an adult. They saw who did it and saw them just walk away like no big deal and they do this all the time. This "guest" said he informed the hotel on 3 different times to come and take care of it, but up signs and even worn their guests about what happened. This "guest" said he had been standing by the pool gates for awhile to let people know not to go in. Finally after about 45 minutes the hotel finally put up signs that the pool is closed. Did they drain the pool NO!!!, YUCK!! Who knows if the right amount of chemicals where even used?? By the next morning the pool was open again and I told my kids no way in hell are you going in the pool. My family and I probably will never come back to this hotel again. I am very sad and disappointed. This use to be a clean, beautiful hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank poohbear19
Jim Z, General Manager at Residence Inn Palm Desert, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
Dear Poohbear19, thank you so much for sharing your comments and I am so sorry your stay went the way it did. We should have reacted much quicker when we found out someone had gone to the bathroom in our pool, I am so sorry we were slow to react. Since then we have shared your comments as a training opportunity in the event this should happen again and have asked our Ecolab partners to insure our water is safe for swimming. Our guests safety really is our number one priority even though we were slow to move in this case. As far as the grounds you couldn't be more right and we have been patiently waiting for July to trim or Palm Trees which do each year this same time. If we trim much earlier we have to trim them again as the seed pods grow out again and the return of the debris cycle continues. Since your posting our trees have been trimmed and we are beginning our clean up efforts on the ground waste. Again, I am so sorry and would ask that you give us another opportunity. Please contact me directly if you should have a need to revisit our Coachella Valley in the future.

Jim Zeltner, General Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Palm Desert
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

A few of us girls got together for a "slumber party". We got a couple suites for a Friday night. Off season rates made it really enjoyable. The property was fine for the little time we were there. We sat in the lobby and played board games. The staff was accommodating and we had fun. I didn't see the wear and tear in our suite. My bed was very comfortable, plenty of pillows and towels. The only thing that impacted me was they didn't keep the pool towel stand full. And in the morning when I was enjoying my coffee on the balcony, I noticed the towels from the evening had not been picked up by 8:00 am. There was someone shortly after that, but he only picked up the ones on the chairs and left the ones on the cement by the Jacuzzi. I know it's hard to get workers who care about what they are doing, but really wonder if the management is providing them with the training they need.

Room Tip: Bring your own pool towel.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank bjmadala
Dear Bjmadala, thank you for choosing our hotel as your, "staycation", destination. I really appreciate your comments and sharing them with our tripadvisor audience, sounds like you had a lot of fun. I would also like to apologize for not being at the top of our game and allowing the pool area to run out of towels and for not making sure we had the place cleaned up the next morning. I can appreciate the total leisure experience, coffee in hand on the balcony, beautiful morning, and then the perfect view of our trashed pool area, kinda sucks the leisure experience out of the moment, hope the coffee was good.

Take care, please come back and thank you for staying with us.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

The location and the grounds are very nice here, but whoa - the insides of the rooms are another story. I see what other reviewers were talking about. I thought this style of blond furniture went out of style in the 50's, but I guess Marriott has bought it all up, and stuck it in their rooms. Considering the prices that Residence Inn charges, they really need to look at updating the furnishings and gaining a reputation as a great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank willy4391
Dear Willy4391, I couldn't agree more and thank you so much for your comments. We are very close to beginning our Gatehouse and Guestroom renovation which begins this September and our grand reopening mid October. This hotel renovation is long overdue and a popular topic on our social media sites. With the completion of this renovation I hope to see a lot of returning guests who have ventured to our competition. We will also be adding Wifi to all of our guestrooms where we know this to be a hot topic as well and should be completed soon. Good bye ethernet cords.......:)

Hope to see you again soon,

Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

This property provides good value for the money. It is not fancy, but is well-maintained and some of the rooms have a lovely view of a neighboring golf course. We spent a week there over the Christmas holidays while visiting relatives. Breakfast is included and is excellent. The kitchen facilities in our unit were older, but in good working condition. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the golf course.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MinnesotaGourmet
Dear Minnesota Gourmet, I can see why the kitchen was so important and thank you so much for taking the time to share your Residence Inn experience with us. It sounds like you had a wonderful time and my staff and I are glad you made us a part of your family memory in Palm Desert. Christmas comes every year so we hope to see you again soon.

Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

Enjoyed the Palm Desert/Palm Springs area. Residence Inns are always great, some are better than others. This was a good stay, friendly desk staff. Our studio suite was as expected, spacious, comfortably furnished, and had the usual equipped kitchen. Breakfast buffet was fair; managers "reception" happy hour was not as good as others we've stayed at, but adequate.

We were on a promo of three nights for the price of two, so the price was very good, especially as compared to other properties in this area.

Room Tip: There are several two-story buildings at this property. No elevators.There is a fitness center, and...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Thorty, it sounds like we have some work to do around our breakfast and managers reception. Thank you so much for sharing your Residence Inn experience with us and for choosing our hotel. You seem to be well traveled in the Residence Inn world and comparing notes is usually one of the best ways to improve, let me know what we missed and how we can improve. In the meantime your comments will help us evaluate what we are currently doing and to make sure we are still true north our brand standards.

Look forward to welcoming you back and hearing about your other RI experiences.