“49th anniversary in Paris, no wait it was Palm Desert”
Review of Chez Pierre Bistro

Chez Pierre Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Chez Pierre Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 305 Restaurants in Palm Desert
Price range: US$ 19 - US$ 29
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: HWY 111 and Portola Ave, next to the Chop House Restaurant
Description: Family own I am the chef, my wife Esther take care of the dining room My cooking is country french, Bistro food, like frog legs, beef bourguignon, celery root remoulade, Veal sweetbread, steak tartare, pomme frite Dessert, profiterole au chocolat, creme brule, chocolate mousse, tarte tatin We have Happy hour from 4.30 to 7 pm Dinner from 5pm to 9pm
Reviewed 3 July 2018

40 years ago there was but a spattering of restaurants and no world class ones to be found. Fast forward and now we have several. If you patronize these places, you know of the legendary performance of Chef Pierre night after night in his French restaurant off 111 in Palm Desert. We actually have gone to Chez Pierre for our anniversary dinner for the past three years for one reason, because each and every time Pierre makes it special. Out of all the high end places in the desert, Chef Pierre actually comes out of the kitchen and checks on every guest to make sure everything is AOK. We had the frog legs and they were superb. You won't be disappointed.

Phil B

Reviewed 24 June 2018

There were 8 in our group and the waitstaff including Ernesto took wonderful care of our sometimes noisy group. Drinks were kept flowing during our time there. Many chose the prix fixe meals. with choice of appetizers soup or salad and main courses. One chose sweet breads and said they were delicious. I chose the gluten free offering of a tasty and moist, grilled chicken with a serving of a tomato base salad.. I did not have a dessert but others did.. Wow, everyone said they were delicious and nary a spoonful was left-LOL

Reviewed 18 June 2018

We frequent this Bistro several times a year. The service is very special, I don't know any better. The food is unique. Prices are expensive, but fair for the quality of food choices and service.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 11 June 2018

I had been eyeing this venue for quite a while. On our last evening in Palm Desert we finally got to try it. I was quite intrigued by the menu as it listed some of my favorite dishes: escargots, celery root salad, steak tartare, liver, kidney, tongue, etc. So I couldn't wait to savor some of Pierre's cuisine.

Our waiter was Latino and very personable. We thoroughly enjoyed his service. Pierre even came out and greeted us and other patrons that he appeared to know. The table next to us featured a nice French conversation. So all looks good...until we get our food.

I do want to say that there was nothing wrong with the dishes per se. The ingredients were of high quality and the dishes were executed well. I had the celery remoulade. The julienne of celeriac was al dente. The dressing, however, was unbalanced. Although there are many versions, this one seemed one noted and lacking any sweetness. I am not a sweet tooth and prefer acidity. This was just too sour.

The kidneys in the cognac mustard sauce were cooked perfectly. But again, the sauce was not balanced. It also lacked complexity. The champignons in the sauce had a very strong taste of uncooked cognac; the sauce itself did not.

My spouse had the Boeuf Bourguignon. I had the same reaction. Sauce out of balance. Perhaps it's my German background, but I have had all these dishes in France and have always liked them.

This is just my culinary opinion. It appears from other reviews that the majority of folks love the food, so please take my critique cum grano salis. We both loved service and all the people in the restaurant.

Reviewed 20 May 2018

I enjoyed the Gazpacho (soup of the day) as well as the pan fried calamari special. The perfectly crisp pommes frites are the best I've had in a while.
The thin apple tart dessert was disappointing, it seemed under baked.
Our server Arturo was great! Friendly, professional and accommodating.
We'll be back.