“Excellent as always”

Morton's The Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 303 Restaurants in Palm Desert
Price range: US$ 50 - US$ 80
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Cook Street
Transit: Country Club Drive
Description: What began in Chicago in 1978 is now one of the most award-winning steakhouses around. For over 30 years, Morton's The Steakhouse has been on a mission to provide "The Best Steak… Anywhere." Focusing on quality, consistency and genuine hospitality, Morton's seeks to provide not only memorable cuisine, but a memorable experience. With fresh, succulent seafood and famed USDA prime-aged steak, it's no surprise that Morton's has thrilled diners all over the world. For a glimpse of a higher standard of steakhouse, come see the legendary Morton's experience for yourself.
Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

We always try and get in a visit when we’re in the desert and last night didn’t disappoint. Service excellent, ambience great and the steaks were both first class. It’s not cheap by any means, but we genuinely believe that the quality on offer is worth paying for. Recommended and we’ll be back.

Reviewed 5 May 2018

We had dinner at Morton's for the happy hour and to try the new Wagu burger special. The service was personal, inviting and friendly. Our meals were well prepared and presented. Overall a really good experience.

Reviewed 3 May 2018

My wife and I celebrated my birthday with a visit to Morton's on Tuesday 05/01. We have visited this Morton's in the past as well as the Scottsdale location.
We sat in the bar area for Happy Hour and the bar was quite full. On a trip to the men's room I noticed only 4-5 tables in the dining area were occupied. Hmmm.
Our drinks were good, food was so-so and the hash browns actually came out cold. We notified the server, she apologized and brought the same hash browns which we had taken portions with our forks. We opted for the chocolate lava for our desert and it was delivered with a candle on it.
To summarize, the experience was just "OK" and considering we have been to Morton's prior something was definitely missing. We definitely prefer the Scottsdale location and will visit that location the next time we are in that area.
Wishing a better experience to others and hope Morton's Palm Desert works out for you.

Reviewed 1 May 2018

We had an ordinary experience at this Morton's over ten years ago but we surmised that since Landry's put it under their umbrella a few years ago it would now be top-notch. Let me start out on a positive note as the service was excellent. The bartender and the server were experienced, personable and efficient. The side dishes were fine and the wine selection was excellent. The shortcomings are in the category of food and price. There is just too much competition in the Palm Springs area for mediocre steaks at a high price point. The Cajon Ribeye was recommended and ordered and my partner had a filet. The ribeye was ordered medium rare and was delivered medium and it was easy to see why - It was just too thin to be able to properly cook it. It was not very tender which is odd for a ribeye - The filet arrived correctly at medium rare and was tender but with no charring or seasoning or anything to boost the bland flavor of a filet. Oh & I almost forgot - The flavor of the Lobster Bisque was excellent but the little mound of lobster in the middle was comprised of mostly rubbery parts of the lobster - rather incredible - btw, I make my own lobster bisque so I can't imagine sabotaging my creation after all the hard work to get to that point. In short, we wish we would have spent our money (and less of it) at Ruth's Chris.

Reviewed 28 April 2018

My friend and I came here to Palm Springs and Palm Desert for a vacation. On Friday night, we came here for a celebration dinner before we leave town the next day. The restaurant was not very busy, maybe only 1/3 full.

First the place was kind of dark. The place is dimly lit to the extent that the menu is a bit hard to read (I am in my early forties and just started wearing reading glasses). The base tone of the furniture is also black. It feels a bit decadent but I also feel a lot of pressure (like the darkness is closing on me).

For appetizer, we ordered the crab cake. At $21.xx the portion was a bit small. But the crab cake was delicious. It is salty to my liking and you do not need any sauce or dressing to fully enjoy it. I recommend this appetizer.

We also shared a brussel sprout dish together. I personally would like the dish to be cooked drier -- the sprouts were cooked to the point of being mushy when you cut into it. We could not finish this dish.

For entree, each of us ordered a 6oz filet mignon with three grilled shrimp and two bacon wrapped scallops. The shrimp was cooked nicely and so was the scallops. They were both very enjoyable. My friend personally liked the scallop by itself and thought the bacon was extra and unneeded but I actually liked the combination. What really is wroth mentioning is the side of sauce/dressing that came with the dish. It has a fruity base and you can also taste horseradish root and black pepper. The sauce goes with anything -- the shrimp, the steak and the scallop. It was really great.

Now the steak -- I personally like the steak cooked in Ruth's Chris. The steak there just tastes and smells better (we both ordered rare) -- and I think the butter makes the difference. The steak here is not bad -- but it is also not worth bragging about, unlike the shrimp and the scallop.

We ended the meal with a single shot of espresso.

The total of the meal for two above cost $160 after tax before tips.

Food is a three star -- just meets expectation. There was excellent taste like the sauce that came with the steak combo but there was major oops like the overcooked brussle sprouts.
Service is a three star -- I actually expected more due to the class here. I feel that the Ruth's Chris at my state (NJ) had a lot better service than this morton branch.
Value is a three star -- when one comes to a place like this, one is not looking for value but based on the taste of the food here I think the value is bordering a two star rating.

To conclude, based on the decor, the food, and the service here, I personally prefer the Ruth's Chris near where I live. My wallet goes further over there and my eyes and my taste buds are happier there.

One thing that I am find interesting is the following. I am not sure if this is only a coincidence or it was deliberate. Maybe other patrons can do the same experiment. I logged into their WIFI to surf the net. And I found out that the competitors' websites were blocked (again, not sure if deliberate or a one-time fluke on my end). I also tried to share some of the food pics via WhatsApp with my friends but the pictures would not go through.