“I personally prefer Ruth's Chris”

Morton's The Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 304 Restaurants in Palm Desert
Price range: US$ 50 - US$ 80
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Cook Street
Transit: Country Club Drive
Description: What began in Chicago in 1978 is now one of the most award-winning steakhouses around. For over 30 years, Morton's The Steakhouse has been on a mission to provide "The Best Steak… Anywhere." Focusing on quality, consistency and genuine hospitality, Morton's seeks to provide not only memorable cuisine, but a memorable experience. With fresh, succulent seafood and famed USDA prime-aged steak, it's no surprise that Morton's has thrilled diners all over the world. For a glimpse of a higher standard of steakhouse, come see the legendary Morton's experience for yourself.
Reviewed 28 April 2018

My friend and I came here to Palm Springs and Palm Desert for a vacation. On Friday night, we came here for a celebration dinner before we leave town the next day. The restaurant was not very busy, maybe only 1/3 full.

First the place was kind of dark. The place is dimly lit to the extent that the menu is a bit hard to read (I am in my early forties and just started wearing reading glasses). The base tone of the furniture is also black. It feels a bit decadent but I also feel a lot of pressure (like the darkness is closing on me).

For appetizer, we ordered the crab cake. At $21.xx the portion was a bit small. But the crab cake was delicious. It is salty to my liking and you do not need any sauce or dressing to fully enjoy it. I recommend this appetizer.

We also shared a brussel sprout dish together. I personally would like the dish to be cooked drier -- the sprouts were cooked to the point of being mushy when you cut into it. We could not finish this dish.

For entree, each of us ordered a 6oz filet mignon with three grilled shrimp and two bacon wrapped scallops. The shrimp was cooked nicely and so was the scallops. They were both very enjoyable. My friend personally liked the scallop by itself and thought the bacon was extra and unneeded but I actually liked the combination. What really is wroth mentioning is the side of sauce/dressing that came with the dish. It has a fruity base and you can also taste horseradish root and black pepper. The sauce goes with anything -- the shrimp, the steak and the scallop. It was really great.

Now the steak -- I personally like the steak cooked in Ruth's Chris. The steak there just tastes and smells better (we both ordered rare) -- and I think the butter makes the difference. The steak here is not bad -- but it is also not worth bragging about, unlike the shrimp and the scallop.

We ended the meal with a single shot of espresso.

The total of the meal for two above cost $160 after tax before tips.

Food is a three star -- just meets expectation. There was excellent taste like the sauce that came with the steak combo but there was major oops like the overcooked brussle sprouts.
Service is a three star -- I actually expected more due to the class here. I feel that the Ruth's Chris at my state (NJ) had a lot better service than this morton branch.
Value is a three star -- when one comes to a place like this, one is not looking for value but based on the taste of the food here I think the value is bordering a two star rating.

To conclude, based on the decor, the food, and the service here, I personally prefer the Ruth's Chris near where I live. My wallet goes further over there and my eyes and my taste buds are happier there.

One thing that I am find interesting is the following. I am not sure if this is only a coincidence or it was deliberate. Maybe other patrons can do the same experiment. I logged into their WIFI to surf the net. And I found out that the competitors' websites were blocked (again, not sure if deliberate or a one-time fluke on my end). I also tried to share some of the food pics via WhatsApp with my friends but the pictures would not go through.

Reviewed 25 April 2018 via mobile

Had a ribeye, cream corn, four cheese potatoes and a glass of French red wine. Coffee and creme brûlée. Outstanding dinner. Steak seasoned and cooked to perfection. Attentive staff. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 20 April 2018 via mobile

The prices at this restaurant are not worth the value. It is also a very dark restaurant as everything inside is black. Ordered a dish of vanilla ice cream with raspberries and Chambord. The cost including tax and tip was $35. That's ridiculous. The food was very good as was the service.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We went to Palm Springs for the weekend had an amazing dinner at Morton’s if you’re in Palm Springs you definitely need to come to Morton steakhouse food is amazing service is awesome highly recommend

Reviewed 27 March 2018

The food was really excellent. We had a very nice time. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed it. We will go back soon!