“Slightly below average”

Ranked #17 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
Buffalo, New York, United States
“Slightly below average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

We are in San Diego for pleasure, but on a budget. We hoped to stay here and cook some of our own meals to save some money. Upon arriving, the room looks like the photographs on line, but more run down. After reading all the reviews I was nervous, but it was not terrible... not great either. To stay one night and have access to the internet it was $71 (after taxes)... if you can get a deal through priceline for $50-55 it might be worth it. For us, because we're flying, we'd have to go buy so much (dish soap, cooking supplies, plastic utensils, etc.) it isn't worth staying here. If you're traveling with a family and driving you could easily bring some of these things and make it cost-effective. There is literally one fork, one spoon, and two knives. There is only one pot for cooking. It is reasonably clean though not immaculate. For some reason our room smells of BenGay? The hallways do stink of grease and everyone else's cooking. We have a pretty view of a golf course outside our window. Our biggest reasons not to stay? Noisy- we can hear everytime someone walks or uses water/toilet/shower upstairs (as loudly as if they were in the room with us). Value- we don't actually have enough here, provided- to be able to cook meals. Plus, its not clean enough that I'm not tempted to go buy cleaning supplies and clean the kitchen and dishes just to feel comfortable using them. I don't really want to clean on my vacation. No, this isn't disgusting but we can't relax here. My concern is that anything we'll cook will make our clothes and bedding stink. The bed was pretty comfortable, everything was in working condition, and the area is nice/safe with target, restaurants, groceries, etc close by. I'm writing this because I was really anxious about coming so I only booked one night on a "we'll see basis." If I was driving in with a family, I would totally make this work, but with just two of us flying its not cost effective/nice enough/convenient to attractions for $70ish a night. Hope this helps!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Bengaluru, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Compared to my stay at various Hiltons, this was rather bare and although facilities are provided for an extended stay, it has a remote location with only a Hooters next to it! Getting anywhere from here can be a pain if you do not have your own vehicle as you would need to catch atleast a couple of buses to travel. There is no regular housekeeping! Rooms come with a hob , microwave, fridge etc and you can do some cooking yourself. The absence of nearby restaurants makes this a necessity rather than a bonus! This place would not be very high on my list of places to stay at.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Carlsbad, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

My title says it all...!
Ridiculous that the gardeners come so early...I complained to front desk, I was told that it was just the time they come and sorry... so the gardeners continued to trim hedges, blow, weedeat for an hour or so right outside my window..! Forget about sleeping in, it was so loud in my room even the TV didn't drowned the noise. I came on business and worked until 1am. Plus the room smelled of tobacco smoke when it was suppose to be a NON-smoking room, bugs dead on the window seals, a roach and ants, not very clean, couldn't see out the window because all the water spots from sprinklers, looks like a couple year build up!! LOL...

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Oceanside hotels

Yokohama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2010

We stayed at Extended Stay to be close to my mother as she moved into assisted living nearby. It was booked online. This place literally made us sick. When you walked in the room there was a sickly smell covered with a horrible strawberry smell. The tub streamed with water until my daughter figured out how to muscle it to a drip. There were burn holes in the blankets. The air conditioner had mold and dust in it. We didn`t turn it on. The kitchenette sounds good, but there was not enough to cook with (a fork, two spoons, one knife). There was a dirty pot. In the end the smell made us sick when we slept there. We moved to the Holiday Inn Express nearby. It is like a luxury hotel after that. Free breakfast, internet, clean and comfortable rooms.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
BreaAdvisor, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Oceanside, responded to this review, 26 January 2011
"Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America San Diego - Oceanside. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2010

This place was just horrible. Just walking in the room you feel dirty. Housekeeping claims to come by once a week but never did. We were supposed to stay for a six week period of time but checked out after 6 days. We ended up renting a vacation condo, right on the ocean for less than the hotel would have cost us.
Don't stay here thinking you will save a couple of bucks. With a little research you will find TONS of weekly and monthly vacation rentals.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
BreaAdvisor, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Oceanside, responded to this review, 17 May 2010

I do regret that our housekeeping schedule was not made clearer to you when you made your reservation, since that might have prevented your being inconvenienced. As is true with all Extended Stay Hotels(sm), our hotel provides one full housekeeping service after every seven days stayed. In addition, for guests who require more than our standard service, we offer extra daily services for an additional nominal fee. Operating this way allows us to continue offering our suites at outstanding rates, and still provide our guests with the exact number of housekeeping services they prefer.