All reviews rooftop pool an ocean view room fish house valet staff valet parking is white noise generator top gun train station waffles sliding door small balcony free breakfast ocean side pool towels movie theater sitting area top floor
Reviewed 30 September 2018

We had noted on our check-in that we would be arriving late, after midnight, but they did give our requested feather free oceanview/balcony room, but the night staff was incredibly gracious and prepared our feather-free room very quickly. Which seems fair--we got there at after 5 am due to multiple freeway accidents. We received a room by the railroad tracks with no view or balcony, but it was very nice, very clean room/.I would say breakfast was OK--nothing special, but did have scrambled eggs, bacon, make your own Belgian waffles and lots of other things such as juice, fruit,ceral, bagels, yogurt and the like. Its a very nice property, but if you want to enjoy the pool area--get there early. Whole large familys had taken up the entire space--placing towels on all the lounges by 9am and one family was openly drinking and had several members get so drunk they fell down, then left to lunch, but did not remove their things. So if that is important I guess you should be there earlier to mark your chair. They do have beach pol towels so you really can skip packing those. We tried to find the game room that was mentioned in some videos, but it does not seem to exist which disappointed the kids. Does have a nice small gym that seemed largely empty during our 3 days annd laundry rooms on 2 floors.

Despite having a railroad track room, we were never bothered by the train, never used the white noise machine and everyone slept very well.

This is a great location--easy beach walk, lots of restaurants and even a movie theater nearby. It is a beautiful property with several decks with fire-features, an on-site restaurant/bar as well as a coffee shop. Coffee shop is a local roaster, but nothing special and regular coffee is about the same price as a latte, but still nice to have as coffee was removed after breakfast. Very nice lobby, valet parking which makes sense to pay for if you have small children or a nice car and wat to avoid walking around for on street parking/paying meters/lots--which make you pay again at midight. I am sure it can be done, but if you stay on a weekend or during holidays it will be difficult and an ordeal everytime you want to use your car. We left the valet multiple times and our car was always quickly retrieved and we bought the package which saved about $
5-10 when we booked. Not sure where the free hot breakfast for one was located--- was not told, did not ask, given I was not going to eat by myself and my family eat at the buffet.
Overall, this a nice, wonderfully located property with great staff and is fantastic for families--we would stay here again and we essentially had one of the worst rooms--if you could call any room here bad--ie by the railroad, slept well ad had fun. I am not sure where complaints about staff have come from as they were nothing but niice, friendly, professional and helpful. One person checking- in had a ton of crazy demands and was rudely makig them known and even then, the staff was warm and welcoming and offered to show her several rooms to make sure everything faced the right diretion, that her headboard faced south, that the rooms we located in certain directions etc.
Great place to stay and will stay again and try to get there earlier for a better room next time.

Room tip: get there early, book rooms well in advance for a weekend. City-view rooms face railroad so higher up rooms are better and quieter
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Stormi P, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Diego Oceanside/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2018

Deborah M- Thank you for the awesome review! I am excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We will ensure this feedback is also passed along to our team and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 30 September 2018 via mobile

My family of four ( two boys) stayed here for the weekend in a trackside room ( city side). My four year old went absolutely bonkers for the train track!!! He LOVED hearing the horn and watching the train pass us by! So huge plus for anyone with young children! The mornings are just fine too, they provide you with earplugs but I didn’t even need to use it! And trust me I like to sleep in. The valet were very courteous. As soon as you walk in it’s trendy and beachy. Super cute decor. The General Manager Stormi checked us in, which I thought was a nice touch when you see upper management interacting with the guests. She was extremely welcoming and kind! Very accommodating. The room fit my whole family in perfectly . The amazing thing here is the rooftop pool!!! Wow!!!! I attached a sunset photo! Def spend some time there. Bonuses: STEPS AWAY FROM THE BEST BEACH IN OCEANSIDE. I lived there so I can say that. The strand is popular and has great additions like a playground, the famous Pier and so many restaurants, liquor stores, movies and fun things just steps away! I would def recommend this to anyone families and all for a fun little getaway!

Trip type: Travelled with family

Ms. M- Don't we wish everyone loved the train as much as your boys! Thank you for the stellar review. I am glad you enjoyed not only our location but all the downtown O'side has too offer. That Sunset is to die for and no matter how many times we get to see it never gets old! We will see you soon!

Reviewed 22 September 2018 via mobile

Absolutely terrible experience staying here. The train noise can be heard throughout the property and is super loud.

I checked out on 9/7 and it wasn’t till I was in my Uber a few minutes later that I realized I didn’t remember packing my travel jewelry box that contained my wedding ring and wedding band.

I called 2x everyday since that moment and have never gotten at the very least a call back from the housekeeping manager or some who can explain to me what happened to my stuff. Being a gold Marriott rewards member I will never stay at a Marriott again and I'll be sure to never book the 14 other sales and marketing employees that work for me in Marriott again.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Stormi P, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Diego Oceanside/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2018

Hello Malia P-

First and foremost allow me to start off by apologizing for both the issues you experienced with the train noise and the lack of follow up regarding your lost and found item. As for the train this is certainly an issue for us being that we are located directly next to the tracks. We understand how frusutruating the noise can be and how impactful it can be to your stay. We do equip our rooms with sound machine and ear plugs upon request to help mitigate the train noise but do understand this is not always an ideal resolution. We look forward to January when Oceanside will be in a quiet zone and although the train will still pass it will not blow its horn.
As for the lack of follow up regarding your lost and found item, I can assure you this is not typical nor inidcatiove of the level of service we offer. This is the first I am hearing of this however I will be personally following up regarding this situation.

Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

We stayed here couple nights.. there is train track like 2meters away from the house. And those trains uses the horn when they go past by the hotel.. so if u need good night sleeps. This is not the place to stay.

But rooftop pool, bars, rooms, everything else is perfect. And the rooftop has amazing views.

Trip type: Travelled on business

JesseK781- Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are excited to hear that aside from the train everything was perfect for your visit. In January, Oceanside will finally be in a quiet zone and although the train will still pass the horns will be silicned. We are counting down as we speak! Come back and visit us in the new year! We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

We stayed at this location for a wedding
The hotel is clean but to me very basic. They do offer a free breakfast but did not try it. Close to the beach and definitely within walking distance.

I was surprised at the clientele. Many hauling large cases of beer to their rooms. It’s not what I am accustomed to.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

HowieEmbry- Thank you for the review of your experience at the property. I am sincerely sorry the visit did not meet your expectations. In addition to the standard Springhill Suites amenities we do offer a roof top pool and spa, Hello Betty next door and Stay Golden Coffee in our North Lounge to give you a local O'side experience. We appreciate your loyalty and your feedback! Thank you!