“Like Stepping Back in Time...in a Great Way”
Review of Occidental Hotel

Occidental Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Occidental
Temecula, CA
“Like Stepping Back in Time...in a Great Way”
Reviewed 24 April 2010

I'm an automotive/travel writer taking a long weekend break after attending the launch of the 2011 Ford Fiesta in San Francisco, exploring homemade/artisan cheese establishments up to Eureka. In stead of heading inland to Wine Country for the night I took a detour north on the Bohemian Highway and I'm glad I did. A well-maintained, fifties/sixties era AAA-rated nestled in the pines awaited me. The staff, both when I checked in and in the morning when I departed to check out was super friendly. My room was large and spacious, spotless and had great 500kb wireless internet, as fast transferring files as my FiOS line at home. This motel is a great alternative for someone who wants to be both close to Wine Country, but wants a more laid-back, traditional motel. It reminded me of places I stayed when traveling as a kid on family vacations in our wood paneled Country Squire. If I could just find someplace similar up in Eureka for tonight, I'd be really happy as it will give me a different slant for the blog I'm writing for my website Automotive Traveler. Take a chance and step out of your comfort zone with franchise-style places and check out Negri's Occidental Hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank AutomotiveTraveler
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 7 April 2010

The little town of Occidental is nestled in the heart of the redwoods approximately 4 miles to the east of Bodega Bay and the ocean and 4 miles south of the Russian River. The local folks are friendly and there's a mix of good restaurants and small shops. Our favorite restaurants are Howard's Station and Negri's Traditional Italian Restaurant and both are within two blocks of the hotel. The hotel is on a small hill and overlooks the town and forested hillsides. We first stayed there when our children attended a nearby church camp and we have continued to return several times a year. We are impressed by the ongoing updates and improvements to the rooms and the grounds including the recent hillside waterfall. The owner REALLY cares about providing guests with a quality experience. The rooms are large, attractive and quiet and the beds are great. If you want to bond with the beauties of the redwoods in relaxed surroundings we recommend the town of Occidental and Negri's Occidental Hotel. As retirees we travel a lot and we LOVE coming back to Occidental and Negri's Hotel. B. Welsh

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TahoeSam
CA
Reviewed 6 April 2010

The hotel was noisy, small, and dirty. Pick a better place, you can do WAY better, IMO. The owner, which trying to resolve an issue, was VERY unfriendly. I have NO clue why the other people rated this so well. I can only imagine that they're not sincere reviewers.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank WeddingattendeeinOX
california
Reviewed 22 March 2010

We were recommended to this hotel and we're so pleased that we took the advice! We went around the Holidays and the hotel was close enough to enjoy great shopping and festivities but far enough for a laid back, relaxing end to a day. The staff warmly welcomed our excited kids and restaurants were in walking distance, which is always a big deal for us. We're planning a summer retreat with some extended family, too - can't wait. I don't often have time to write reviews but had to pass on the good advice!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Southern Louisiana
Reviewed 5 October 2009

Our second trip to Northern California had to include Sonoma County and the Occidental Hotel. The setting was great and over-all stay very comfortable. Rooms were intimate and the staff was very helpful and informative with regards to the local area. We found the area a mental retreat, and the Hotel was our sanctuary. Can't wait to go back. Oh yeah, the wine was top shelf!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Occidental
12.3 km away
32.0 km away
Timber Cove Resort
Timber Cove Resort
#2 of 3 in Jenner

Been to Occidental Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK