“A small piece of heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Inn at Occidental

Inn at Occidental
Ranked #1 of 1 Occidental B&B and Inns
Miami
“A small piece of heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

In 2011 we participated in a wine tour on bikes through Napa and Sonoma Valleys, which included one night at The Inn at Occidental - what a treat!!! We couldn't resist the temptation and booked again this year in March 2012. Tina, Jerry and the staff even went out of their way to allow us to have the same room (Marble Room) as during our first stay! They helped us with reservations and the breakfast in the morning was exquisite! We will deifnitely come again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Wilton, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We made a reservation over the phone and was never told that there was a "processing fee" of $40.00 that is non-refundable. After paying for our visit in full six weeks before our expected stay, we were STUNNED when, after giving the Inn a month's notice, to find out that we would not receive a full refund. The Innkeeper claims he "told" us over the phone that there would be a "processing fee". He NEVER told us that. In fact, he was outright rude about it when we questioned the necessity of a processing fee when we cancelled a full month ahead of our expected stay. Who does that? Anyway, because of the attitude of the Innkeeper, we disputed the charges and completed the paperwork involved when disputing a charge on our credit card bill. We travel frequently and have never, ever been charged a "processing fee" for making a reservation. We will never stay here after being treated so shabbily. Occidental is a very quaint town and there are many other nice places to stay.

Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jacksondlz
Jerryoccidental, Owner at Inn at Occidental, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
We processed a refund per our cancellation policy on October 4, 2011, the day after the reservation was cancelled.
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

If you are looking for a quaint B&B in a quaint town in Northern CA wine country, you should select Inn at Occidental. Jerry and Tina are very attentative hosts, and made sure we had everything we needed, as well as, booking outings for us. The room was very nice, breakfast wonderful. I travel pretty extensively and don't always look forward to another hotel stay. This was a nice treat from the ordinary. We will definitely be back.

SoCal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 2 night stay here and we were very pleased. The Inn at Occidental is a cute B&B tucked away in a small corner of Sonoma county. The bed was very comfortable and with all the rain we experienced, the large soaking tub and fireplace were a sight for sore eyes. The town itself is very tiny, but not lacking in charm. There are only a handful of restaurants within walking distance, but if you tried a different one every night you can't go wrong with any of them. The lobby has a book of menus from all the local restaurants which is a great help in deciding which restaurant to try.
The breakfast is great...the other reviewers are correct in mentioning how great the home made granola is! The hot accompaniment doesn't disappoint, either. The evening wine and cheese reception was very nice. It gives you a chance to meet the innkeepers and taste some local wines.
My only reason for not giving the Inn a full 5 star rating is because of a faint pet smell. There is a small dog on the property and some cats that hang around outside. The animal smell in the office was pretty strong and when the rain came, the dampness brought out some odor in on the decorative pillows in our room. This doesn't bother some people if you're an extreme animal lover, but as for us, we like pets to remain outside.

Room Tip: We had the "Summer Room" which was very bright and cheery, even on the rainiest day.
1 Thank dramamama23
Jerryoccidental, Owner at Inn at Occidental, responded to this review, 25 March 2012
As owner of the Inn, we value the input our guests provide regarding their stay. We appreciate and thank the guest for their complimentary remarks made on Cute and Cozy. There are two comments we would like to respond to. We do own a small Shih Tzu who is 14 years of age. She, at times, is the joy to many of our guests as she is very friendly. Many guests miss their pets so they are delighted to have Kahlua around. We bring her to the office on most days. We are in the office daily along with several of our Innkeepers. I can assure you that there is no pet smell. The Shih Tzu breed has silky hair, similar to human hair and does not shed, which is great for those with allergies. I would challenge anyone to find a pet odor in our office or Inn. As to cats in the area, we do not own any. Our neighbor above our parking lot has several cats and on occasion you can spot one in our parking lot. As to the pillow and wet weather, I can't imagine what the reviewer is referring to. Pets are not allowed in that room and I find it hard to believe there would be any odor regarding a pet on one of our pillows.
Tracy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

My husband and I just celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary here. Every year we celebrate by staying in a B&B...so this review comes with someone who has stayed in over 17 different inns all over California. I am very picky before I book an inn . I read every review and look at ALL the rooms.
When I called to book I asked about the 40 dollar "reservation fee" . I have 4 kids under the age of 8...so the possibility of having to cancel due to my parents not making it to watch the kids or one of the kids getting sick was a concern to me. I intended on rebooking if this was the case...and it was told it was not a problem. I think a cancelation fee of someone who does not rebook is fair.
Also I could only afford the room on sale. Jerry and Tina were SO generous and gave us a free upgrade to the Heritage Room when we arrived. When I got in the room I was so happy. It was very clean! I always check the bed to make sure it is clean ...and everything was clean and nicely decorated. The bed is very comfortable too! The breakfast is yummy!
The setting of the redwoods and the beach is spectacular! You must try zip lining at Sonoma Canopy Tours. It was very safe and so much fun!
I am so glad we stayed here!

Room Tip: Choose the rooms separate from the main building which have a private entrance and a porch. More pr...
1 Thank Valerie M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Occidental
12.5 km away
32.0 km away
Timber Cove Resort
Timber Cove Resort
#2 of 3 in Jenner

Been to Inn at Occidental? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK