“Not a place for a good night's rest”

Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport
Ranked #14 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Boise, Idaho, United States
“Not a place for a good night's rest”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We had a quick layover in Oakland on our way to Hawaii...arrived at 10:30 p.m., had a flight out at 7:15, so would only be there for 6 hours. We wanted someplace where we could get a good six hours of sleep. We chose the Red Lion because we'd stayed at others before and were satisfied with both the price and accommodations. The highlight of the stay was definitely the free airport shuttle. He was there upon arrival, and ready to take us back at 5:20 the next morning. However, the walls of the room in our building were paper thin, and we could hear every whisper in the adjacent rooms and hallways. The shower was barely warm. The front desk person had told us to come down 10 minutes before we needed the shuttle. Found out that wasn't true. It runs on a schedule every 20 minutes. Not the driver's fault, but would have been important to know in case we were running late. Morning front desk person spent the entire time we were waiting in the lobby on personal calls. If you need a good night's sleep, make sure you ask to stay in the main hotel. I'm not sure if it would be any better, but sure couldn't be worse. And if you have to stay, book through Kayak or others. Directly through the hotel was significantly more--definitely not worth the $100 we paid.

Room Tip: Book in main hotel, not adjacent buildings
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Lewiston, Idaho
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Booked online for a very cheap price because I paid in advance and got a non-refundable rate. Called the hotel from the rental car center and they had a shuttle there within 10 minutes to get me.

Check in was fast and room was cozy. Very noisy outside of my room about 4 am, sounded like a garbage truck making its rounds or something.

Checked out early in the morning for my flight out of Oakland Airport. The shuttle took me over to the airport and it was free to use both times I used it. The only thing I paid for was the tip for the driver.

All in all I was at the hotel for less than 12 hours as it was just a place to sleep from the time the rental car was dropped off until my flight the next day. No issues and I would stay again if I ever needed to stay at the airport again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I was stranded at OAK, promptly called the front desk and quoted me a price for $70 for the night. The gentleman directed me toward the shuttle service and I found myself in the lobby of the hotel in 10 minutes. After a few minutes of waiting for those ahead of me I was asked the the clerk Alvin if I was the one who called earlier. He proceeded to process me through the regular hotel protocol in timely and professional manner. I had a few questions which he proceeded to answer throughly.

Hotel room wreaked of convenience, I was placed on the sixth floor and had a great view of the outlying area of Oakland. The amenities were great, bathroom was clean, and so was the bed. Asked for a wake up call which I received at 7:00 AM sharp. Checkout was a synch and the shuttle was more than adequate (once again).

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper ask for a room toward the back of Hegenberger Road (main road), as the...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We stayed at the Red Lion Hotel because we were only in for the day to watch a football game and it was near the Oakland Airport, which would make it easier to catch our 6:00 am flight versus staying in the city. Convenience wise, the “hotel” was very close to the airport and provided an airport shuttle but as far as service and amenities go, the hotel was pretty much a glorified motel. We also felt as though we were being nickel and dimed on a couple things.

Granted we arrived early Sunday morning and requested an early check-in, but even though there was plenty of availability, we were still charged a $50 early arrival fee. We paid it just to be able to take a couple hour nap before heading into the city. The hotel had a shuttle to the BART….. but that was also an additional $5 per person. Something that wasn’t mentioned anywhere in advance. I asked about the $5 BART shuttle fee when checking out and got three different answers from three different people?!? Courtesy and service from the front desk could use some improvement.

The hallway getting off the elevator had a musky smell to it but the hotel rooms were fine. Clean but small. The bed wasn’t the most comfortable but it worked for just being there for one night. The water pressure in the shower was good but again, the bathroom and sink area was small. All in all, the hotel is fine if you don’t mind a “motel” and are just in-and-out.

The Red Lion did have a restaurant with a bar in it, but we didn’t experience it. I do wish they would have been open or provide room service upon our 10:00pm return to the hotel. It would have been convenient because we were starving and too exhausted to go out.

For those that need to stay in Oakland longer than a day, I would personally recommend paying more for the Hilton just a couple blocks away. We stayed there earlier in the season when we had to catch another 6:00am flight, and had probably one of the best night’s rest in a while because the beds were so comfortable. They also had a complimentary shuttle to the airport and BART.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank JJandAdice
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Booked in advance for two adults three kids. the website said two queen beds, rollaways available. Found our room, the beds might meet the minimum requirememts to be queen sized, but were smaller than tje queen sized beds at Motel 6 and Circus Circus. Called the front desk 5 times to get rollaway, no one answered, called room service, was told they would have the front desk call us, 15 minutes later, had to walk to the lobby, asked for rollaway, was told it wouldn't fit in the room. Asked for just a mattress, was told no, asked for 5 pillows and 2 blankets so we could make a bed on the floor, at least. After 15 minutes, tried the phone again, 6 calls 0 answers, went to the front and repeated my request, waited 5 min, got one blanket. I asked the delivery guy for 5 pillows, one blanket, he was rude and didn' t want to accommodate me, 10 minutes later, got two pillows and a mattress pad, not a blanket, was a cold, uncomfortable LAST EVER night in this "hotel" To top it all, the free wifi didn' t work in my room. I won't be back and neither should anyone wanting reasonable hotel accommodation.

• Stayed November 2011