“Just okay, for the price”

Kansai Sushi Bar & Japanese Cousine
Ranked #234 of 1,353 Restaurants in Oakland
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 50
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 2 September 2016

We came here partly because the restaurant has off street parking, which is huge on Telegraph Avenue, let alone in the busy Temescal neighborhood, and partly because after a long road trip, my son said he was craving Japanese food. When we were seated we were given the Happy Hour menu (it was around 4 p.m. when we arrived), which had special prices on a variety of items from the dinner menu. I ordered the Wendy and In and Out rolls, which came with miso soup and a salad; my son ordered edamame and ramen. The miso was far too salty, as if it had been sitting on the stove too long. The salad was just shredded lettuce with a Thousand Island-style dressing, which I didn't eat, though my son did. ("It was okay.") The Wendy roll was a deep fried "crunchy" roll that was too hot to eat when it came to our table. When it finally cooled off, the cream cheese, snow crab and other ingredients in the middle had turned into a lukewarm mush while the outside was rubbery, not crunchy. The In & Out was made of spicy tuna topped with more tuna, avocado, wasabi, and a spicy mayonaise sauce. I guess you can overdo it on the spicy: I'm a fan of Indian and Mexican food, but it was kind of a shock and a disappointment. My son liked his ramen but said that compared to other places where he'd had the dish, the toppings were a bit skimpy and the broth was salty without much else to the flavor. Service varied in quality: our initial server was friendly and efficient and brought our food quickly. The guy who came later however was inattentive, then an hour later, decided he wanted to hurry us out the door. (It was a Tuesday afternoon; there were plenty of empty tables and maybe a dozen customers in a place that could have handled 40.) Since my son and I hadn't seen each other in several months, we wanted to chat and catch up, but clearly that wasn't the place to do it. I don't know if we came on an off night, but with all the other Japanese restaurants in the East Bay, there's no reason for us to come back here.

Reviewed 1 April 2016

A friend who has lunch about once a week at Kansai took me there a few days ago. Wow! First of all, there is so much CHOICE. We both had bento boxes. Howard had chicken teriyaki and California roll; I had salmon teriyaki. Each of us had soup, salad, and rice. Our total bill: under $17.00! Delicious! A large group came in ahead of us, and yet the service was super fast and friendly. They have a parking lot which is a real asset in that neighborhood. I will definitely make Kansai a regular of mine!

Reviewed 1 April 2016 via mobile

thats why i put 4 stars. i came here more often specially with my friends on happy hour. i love the happy hour. i thought happy hour starts at 8 pm. but last week, me & my cousin came here around 4 pm and its a happy hour at the bar. my cousin's first try here & based on her exp, its not the best but she'll be back here for sure. fast service bcoz its slow hours, she said 1st roll of sushi, rice is kinda hard. but d 2nd sushi was perfect, edamame served cold but we didnt let them change it. shrimp tempura is crispy & fresh but there is 1 time, a year ago that the shrmp tempura & tempura roll that i ordered taste old for some reason & everytime i come to this place, i order my fave shrmp tempura. ambiance is clean & relaxing to my eyes. theres a seat for a very big group of people, u just have to reserve it. tables comes w "ring a bell for assistance" just in case servant hasnt come yet & y'all ready to order. theres enough choices on happy hour menu so dont worry, people are nice here. if its your first time, once u get in, servant will greet u w japanese word "welcome" & funny part, most of them (probably all of them) are korean & that was cool & u might notice that too. the only thing that i dont like is the restroom. before its pretty & neat, but now, theres a lot of graffiti & it dont look nice on d wall, probably bcoz people are ok to write something on the wall, but trust me, not on this restroom. fave sushi, lion king if u like baked one, shrimp tempura if u like shrimp, and 1 sushi that added on my list that starts w J and now i forgot. lol. anyway, if you are coming around 8 for happy hour, try to call &ask for reservation, they usually get full most of the time.

Reviewed 14 March 2016

Food is excellent, fish fresh, portion size plentiful and price value. This restaurant stays open late on Saturday night. After attending a concert and not having dinner before, we were hungry but not many places still open for dining at 10 pm. Kansai is! We've been there when it was very busy, but food and service was good. We went at an odd time on a Saturday afternoon just before lunch closing and again service and food were execellant and we weren't rushed.

The tables have these round tabs that we couldn't figure out what they were for and later found out that if you press them a numbered light at the front of the store lights up telling your wait-staff that you need them!!!

Reviewed 2 February 2016

This place came highly recommended by the front desk staff at a nearby hotel and it lived up to the hype. The place was crowded (it was about 1am) the service was a bit slow but other than that it was a fantastic meal. The food isn't expensive especially if you order off the late night sushi happy hour menu. All the food we ordered was fantastic. This is a must if you are looking for good sushi, or just a nice late night meal.