“great food, price, server and ambiance”

Kansai Sushi Bar & Japanese Cousine
Ranked #206 of 1,368 Restaurants in Oakland
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 50
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 1 April 2016 via mobile

thats why i put 4 stars. i came here more often specially with my friends on happy hour. i love the happy hour. i thought happy hour starts at 8 pm. but last week, me & my cousin came here around 4 pm and its a happy hour at the bar. my cousin's first try here & based on her exp, its not the best but she'll be back here for sure. fast service bcoz its slow hours, she said 1st roll of sushi, rice is kinda hard. but d 2nd sushi was perfect, edamame served cold but we didnt let them change it. shrimp tempura is crispy & fresh but there is 1 time, a year ago that the shrmp tempura & tempura roll that i ordered taste old for some reason & everytime i come to this place, i order my fave shrmp tempura. ambiance is clean & relaxing to my eyes. theres a seat for a very big group of people, u just have to reserve it. tables comes w "ring a bell for assistance" just in case servant hasnt come yet & y'all ready to order. theres enough choices on happy hour menu so dont worry, people are nice here. if its your first time, once u get in, servant will greet u w japanese word "welcome" & funny part, most of them (probably all of them) are korean & that was cool & u might notice that too. the only thing that i dont like is the restroom. before its pretty & neat, but now, theres a lot of graffiti & it dont look nice on d wall, probably bcoz people are ok to write something on the wall, but trust me, not on this restroom. fave sushi, lion king if u like baked one, shrimp tempura if u like shrimp, and 1 sushi that added on my list that starts w J and now i forgot. lol. anyway, if you are coming around 8 for happy hour, try to call &ask for reservation, they usually get full most of the time.

Reviewed 14 March 2016

Food is excellent, fish fresh, portion size plentiful and price value. This restaurant stays open late on Saturday night. After attending a concert and not having dinner before, we were hungry but not many places still open for dining at 10 pm. Kansai is! We've been there when it was very busy, but food and service was good. We went at an odd time on a Saturday afternoon just before lunch closing and again service and food were execellant and we weren't rushed.

The tables have these round tabs that we couldn't figure out what they were for and later found out that if you press them a numbered light at the front of the store lights up telling your wait-staff that you need them!!!

Reviewed 2 February 2016

This place came highly recommended by the front desk staff at a nearby hotel and it lived up to the hype. The place was crowded (it was about 1am) the service was a bit slow but other than that it was a fantastic meal. The food isn't expensive especially if you order off the late night sushi happy hour menu. All the food we ordered was fantastic. This is a must if you are looking for good sushi, or just a nice late night meal.

Reviewed 10 September 2014

We stopped here for lunch and were amazed by the long list of sushi rolls. We had two traditional rolls and two of their inventions, and all were just perfect. The service was great and the crowd were all enjoying themselves.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stopped in Kansai as lunch time was trailing off. We had tempura, prawns for me, mixed vegetables for my daughter. All very quite crisp, fresh, large and portions, copious. The seaweed salad we shared was large enough for two and very good. Service was efficient and friendly. The decor was modest and unpretentious. I would return anytime.