“Laotian Cuisine - Excellent Hole in the Wall - Local Restaurant!”
Review of Champa Garden

Champa Garden
Ranked #30 of 1,363 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Vietnamese
Reviewed 18 December 2017

First time to try Laotian, very similar to Thai. Excellent small hole in the wall place with fantastic food! Very inexpensive! Great service! It is tucked into a neighborhood so you need to park and then walk a bit. It was very easy finding street parking. Well worth the short walk!

We shared a Champa Sampler - appetizer platter. I don't know all that was on the platter, but everything was very tasty! We ordered several dishes to share including Drunken Noodles, Green Curry with Chicken and Mango Sticky Rice for dessert! Everything was wonderful. Portions are very generous!

Reviewed 21 November 2017

All three dishes we ordered were superb. If it's a busy weekend night get there at opening time to avoid a wait- lots of people appreciate this place. The atmosphere here is happy verging on festive. Several little kids doing percussion, but I thought it was fun. Service was prompt and earnestly attentive. This is an ideal, unpretentious place to enjoy truly excellent food.

Reviewed 16 November 2017

Yes, the neighborhood is iffy at night. Street parking is difficult. The restaurant is very casual (think, formica tables and naugahyde chairs). However, service was quick and gracious. The food was sublime. The Champa sampler appetizer was a meal for two in itself, with some unique dishes. The drunken noodles were very good, and the green curry was outrageously good, and full of vegetables. The portions were large (we could not eat it all). We were extremely satisfied with our meal and the inexpensive check. My only suggestion would be to get rid of the cute "wicker basket" container for the sticky rice - it does not work - a regular bowl is better.

Reviewed 27 September 2017

I've heard about this place for a couple years and finally went there for a weekday lunch. The duck curry was to die for. I can't wait to try another dish at lunch again - dinner, I know, is usually crowded. Service is efficient, and the setting is funky. I appreciated that there was no loud music. I hear that the take-out service is good too. Try it!

Reviewed 30 March 2017

This has been my secret spot ever since I moved into the neighborhood. I could live on the Papaya Salad and the Larp salad alone. Everything I have had has been excellent and at these prices, its a real bargain.

1  Thank DDDRW